Ares Games

View Poll Results: How do you play Wings of War? Minis, cards or both.

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • I play the game mainly with miniatures

327 80.15%
  • I play the game mainly with the cards

36 8.82%
  • I play the game about half and half, cards & minis

45 11.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minis Or Cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
    Only solution for me, I built flight stands that would accomodate both and have never looked back. Now I have the model on top and the card on the bottom - best of both worlds.
    Do you have pictures of your home made flight stands?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

Minis all the way. Years ago when all you could use in some games was cards I was creating my own rules to use with minis I made up myself or cobbled from toys to fit the situation. My rule of thumb is use what you enjoy. If your not getting enjoyment from the game whats the use in playing...right?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
    I found this a very interesting poll, for the simple reason that when I started playing (I picked up minis of Red Baron and Barker's Camel and the a game as my first purchase) I was torn between the really compelling artwork on the cards and the stunning look of the minis. Added to this, I actually didn't like the way the info on the clear base looked. I much preferred looking at the firing arcs and other stats as shown on the cards. Personal preference.

Only solution for me, I built flight stands that would accomodate both and have never looked back. Now I have the model on top and the card on the bottom - best of both worlds.

As for overlapping with the minis, agree with other posters that you just substitute in the card until the flyby is over.
    If you have some pics we sure would like to see them.

100% minis at our club
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

RBREE

I'm starting with cards and eventually moving to the minis... I could aford to get the games quickly but get Miniatures for WOW and DOW enough for 12 (we own the game and host for friends) players each was a little more than i could afford. Slowly a plane or two a month i'll eventually have what we need.

You can never own too many minis!

Default Minis! Keep 'em flyin'!

I find the minis irresistible. I can play with the cards with no problem, but I if I have the necessary miniatures, they're coming out.

I store my aircraft and cards in ornament boxes stuffed with packing popcorn. Not terribly attractive, but very simple and handy.

I have recently bought my first minis. Two WW2 planes and two WW1. I played with both and found that I really liked the WW1 game but not WW2.

So for me i think it will be WW1 minis but WW2 cards

Saw the card game and was interested - saw it played with minis and I was hooked !

"He is wise who watches"

Planes for the sheer spectacle. Plus I can't see the cards when they are down on the table.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I was hooked by the minis, have to admit that WoW is one of the most scenographic games I ever played.
    Strangely enough I discovered it's much easier and more comfortable to play the cards, especially in very close dogfights (i.e. always in my group)

SirDragon

Miniatures only so far... But I have all the booster packs.. So I want to start involving some of the other movement decks as well!!!

Hope they make more planes (minis) for all in game cards!!!

It's minis for me unless I don't have the plane. The cards are also helpful when things get crowded.

No question about it. It is miniatures all the way until there is some reason not to play with miniatures.

Hmmmm. I cannot think of one.

(BTW, I keep all of my cards.)

hello all!
    i have wow ww1 since two years and the first set i bought was the minis deluxe set.it was fantastic!

then i bought recently the wow ww2 deluxe set also and i really enjoy it. its awesome!

so minis all the way!
    Last edited by Olt^Jones; 07-10-2010 at 12:03.

further thoughts on this. When I played ww2 with minis I only had 2 a spit & a ME109 and didn't really enjoy it. so thought i would stick with the cards.

Then i got the WW2 delux set for a present ( I am now at the stage where the kids are buying me toys! ) and so had 2 a side that was much better.

WW1 I loved with the minis.

I still feel that to get the range of scenarios for WW2 the cards are helpful.
    With WW1 you can get away with 8 planes and have a long lasting and interesting campaign.

With WW2 I want stukas Me110's hurris spits mosquitos fokke wulf 190s + maybe try some pacific scenarios etc etc.

would cost a fortune!

Ever since we started it's been mini's all the way. For us there's just something more realistic and fun about moving the miniatures around the gaming surface. Cards are fun to look at, but at this point I could never use them with any regularity.
    Good question.

Scott

Miniatures without the slightest doubt

A.

Default I agree Cards all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Davot View Post
    Cards all the way!
    1. More planes for use with cards
    2. Cards have no serious overlap issues
    3. Cards are easier to store, with less space taken up
    4. Minis are horrendously expensive, IMHO
    I agree Cards all the way.
    But I will play with other players minis

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Miniatures all the way for me, although my dad and I play with cards at his place, as it's a handy "kitchen table" game and saves me lugging a box of toys along when I visit....

Primarily the minis as I got into playing games like this because I'd already been painting minis for years.

However, even when using the minis the cards are indispensible for overlaps and the like. I'm actually REALLY glad you have both for reasons like this.

Got to be mini's for me, but I have used just the cards when away from home as the transporting is so much easier.

Miniatures for me. The visual appeal they offer is one of the bonuses of the game, which also helps to bring new players to the table.

That being said, and now that I purchased the play mats, I can see the advantages to using the cards for a quick pickup game outside the home or LGS. I am glad that the game offers both choices.

Cheers!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

I started to play WoW mainly thans to the minis.

I hope to see more of them in the next future.

G.

amespri

minis for me (WWI).
    Two major reasons
    - I love the visual effect
    - I'm playing with kids, and minis are a good way to hook them

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Miniatures for me. The visual appeal they offer is one of the bonuses of the game, which also helps to bring new players to the table.

That being said, and now that I purchased the play mats, I can see the advantages to using the cards for a quick pickup game outside the home or LGS. I am glad that the game offers both choices.

Cheers!
    If you ever played Wizkid's Crimson Skies (which was/is a great game too by the way), you'd know the pain of overlapping planes and how to set them so they didn't mess things about (nevermind they should have had bases to match the maneuver cards).

Having both (mini and a card) that represent the same thing and are interchangable is simply brilliant. I haven't played a WoW game yet where people weren't all running on top of each other sooner or latter. Without the cards that gets to be a mess.

The cards are very inovative and they do well for a portable war game, the art work is great, but the minis is were its at. At first I thought that they were too expensive but upon buying my first one, they are worth every penny! Joe

Its all about the minis now!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Default from pa

i like the 3d look !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    We only play with minis here! After reading some of the posts I think you guys play this game just a tad too seriously. We never have any issues with overlapping, as we just carefully reposition slightly if we have to, we never ever substitute planes with cards. I mean really whats the big deal if a plane is slightly out of position? Splitting hairs a bit aren't we? Haven't you guys ever heard of turbulance? Its a fun game and we like to keep it that way. Nobody around here takes it so serious that slight repositioning has ever been an issue. We use altitude and attitude repositioning with gimbling stands (no special rules there but it looks good), dyed cottonwool flak markers, itty bitty 2 mm scale terrain to photograph, straff and bomb, painted pipe cleaner smoke and fire markers that attach to the planes, we play on a huge laminated aerial photo, give me time and I'll make an exploded plane model to stick on a stand. We play with the whole 3D visual box and dice and have heaps of fun doing it. Miniatures is what makes this game fun!
    I really like your Altitude err Attitude Rodger! I think you have added some great ideas to the game. Our "mob" are waiting for the Gimble Stands to become available & ALL our chaps have Models. We made a Playing surface using a green rubberbacked curtain material that has a patten like contours & have added drawn on Trenches, Tents, Hangers, a railway line with German Train Cannon some field guns etc but WOW Games mats are also coming shortly.

I play the miniature but I have all the cards so far. The guys I play with just aren't interested in that aspect so I haven't played with them(cards). I would like to paint some of the card planes as miniatures if I get the chance. I would like to paint some of the Polish Planes and maybe some captured planes to use in miniature form.

I played hex board games could not get my head around movement. Minis give a 3d image that works for me.

With miniatures is more fun. I have some card boxes and packs but I prefer to play with minis.

Due to space and storage issues I play with only cards - although I do have a very small collection of minis, but they are never used in game.

mini's for sure

Xron Almighty

I would like to play with minis but I don't know enough people who are willing to get them for it to be a worthy investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Xron Almighty View Post
    I would like to play with minis but I don't know enough people who are willing to get them for it to be a worthy investment.
    If you buy a handful and let them play with them, they will soon be buying their own!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    If you buy a handful and let them play with them, they will soon be buying their own!
    I'll second that! You only need a couple of planes and others' curiosity will get the better of them. Before you know it you'll be running regular games and then a campaign!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Laurence
    Sorties Flown

Cards, but I'd prefer minis as they don't change their heading when you let go of them.

I am another mini's only player - like others here I come from a figure wargaming background, and found the lure of the models irresistable

Prefer miniature for looking... but i also like cards...I have many paint for 1 model of plane.

Many games with 50 % mini and 50% cards :-)

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    If you ever played Wizkid's Crimson Skies (which was/is a great game too by the way), you'd know the pain of overlapping planes and how to set them so they didn't mess things about (nevermind they should have had bases to match the maneuver cards).

Having both (mini and a card) that represent the same thing and are interchangable is simply brilliant. I haven't played a WoW game yet where people weren't all running on top of each other sooner or latter. Without the cards that gets to be a mess.
    Absolutely! Mini's all the way.

Since I scratch build my own minis and haven't gotten nice game bases for them yet, I use both. I use the card as the main game piece and place the mini on table for the visual effect.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    Since I scratch build my own minis and haven't gotten nice game bases for them yet, I use both. I use the card as the main game piece and place the mini on table for the visual effect.
    Don't worry Jon. The Col. will have some more in stock in a week or two. Welcome to the drome bye the way.

Rob.

Woud like to Play with the Mins but the only ones you get here are the ones from the Deluxe set

Lightbulb unused cards

Quote Originally Posted by Davot View Post
    So what does everyone do with all of those unused cards? I might be a buyer at the right price.
    We use minis all the way, but the cards are drawn face down at the set up phase so the choice of aircraft is random (otherwise we'd have to fight that darned Sopwith Snipe every game!)

My spare cards are up for grabs on the For sale forum.
    Rob.

Minis for me. I had the WYB game for more than a year, unplayed. I found it lacking a dimension. :P Then I got some minis and It became the best game ever!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

Minis definatly, basically as it looks right on the board although it is easier to use cards for transportation as I am trying to get other interested in my area both so I am playing both at the moment

For me the minis make the game. A very expensive game

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Unsure about using the minis
    By Fokker Ace in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 21:24