Ares Games

Thread: Sopwith Dolphin

Default Sopwith Dolphin

Does anyone use a Sopwith Dolphin? If so where do you get the model and which decks do you think this machine should use? I'm intrigued by it because of the novel wing layout (lower wing forward of the upper wing) and, from my reading to date, a pretty useful aircraft particularly for higher-level work. Comments?

Did these back in 2012, they were fun! Shapeways products . . .

Shapeways for the model - N Deck, same as the SE5a Steve, so it's very fast and has some agility too.
    Last edited by flash; 03-13-2017 at 10:40.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

And the same shooting deck and damage as the SE5a? Thanks, btw, and these look neat. I may have to get a couple... 8^)

Damage A, (there are of course extra gun options), Health 16, Ceiling 13, Climb rate 3 according to the Unofficial Stats Committee.

Exclamation

The Dolphin was originally intended to have 2 upward firing Lewis guns fitted to the cockpit "cage" as well as 2 Vickers.
    If you google Sopwith Dolphin Images you will find many photos.
    In practice most Squadrons removed one or both Lewis guns in the Field.

If you Fly your model with 1 Lewis like I have done it becomes a A + B firing Aircraft.
    I have not used mine much due to its introduction date late 1917 but it is due to get some action in the OTT Bitter End Solo Campaign on the Forum. I have added the Lewis since the photos were taken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Shapeways Dolphin a.jpg  Views: 75  Size: 259.0 KB  ID: 218946" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Shapeways Dolphin b.jpg  Views: 75  Size: 139.1 KB  ID: 218947" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-13-2017 at 22:56.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Shapeways also produce a model of an 87 Squadron Dolphin with the two Lewis guns mounted on the lower wing making it A+A for firing as long as the Lewis guns' ammunition lasts and provided that they do not jam.

Name:	710x528_5144149_1497350_1459324967.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	218950

I didn't add a Lewis to mine when I realised it's an upward, not forward, firing gun & those opportunities come up rarely. Seems they were unpopular with pilots for a number of reasons and most discarded them. Plus we didn't have the rules then that we have now.
    Still hope Ares will produce one one day.

Nicely done! Hopefully they will be next along with the Pfalz D.XII.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Yes indeed!!!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Also my hope. A Pup, BE2c, FE2b, Roland D.VI, Salmson 2A2, DFW C.V, Hansa Brandenberg W.12 or W.29, or LVG C.VI would be good candidates to round out the series.

Where are people in the UK getting the decals/transfers from?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by stevebarb View Post
    "Dom's Decals" is a popular choice.
    Dom is a member of the Forum.
    A Google search should find his website.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebarb View Post
    1/144 direct on ebay Mehusla (Matt Sneddon) is a forum member - his son Rob runs the business from Falmouth in Cornwall. Fantastic service - occasionally 24hr turnaround from order to delivery!

Dom's Decals DomSkelton is also a forum member, working out of Sheffield. Smaller decal range (and smaller sheets) - I have had great service, but others have had delivery delays from time to time.
    http://www.domsdecals.com/shop/artic...%3D144-GB-1%26

Shed decals, which I purchased through Helmet Models (coz they have pictures of the sheets on THEIR website; Shed do not!
    MUCH larger sheets, incorporating tail flashes too, but composite in form; you have to apply the white disc first, then the blue-n-red cockade on top, to get the final result.
    http://www.helmet-aircraft-200.co.uk...ts/Shed-Dec003

Note that the cockades with white surround are needed on PC10 upper wing surfaces and fuselages in 1917; the cockades WITHOUT white surround are for CDL!

hope this helps
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. WSF Sopwith Dolphin Paint Job
    By flash in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 16:42
  2. Sopwith Dolphin models
    By Steve H in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 01:16
  3. Sopwith Dolphin
    By steel_ratt in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4