Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Special Projects: Gernika Bombing!

Ah Chris, didn't mean to dis your comment, still love you bro! : )

In game terms. Soon we will have a Campaign pack. There will be a tracking of crews: they will grow experience mission after mission. If their plane is eliminated, it will be checked if they are wounded, killed, made prisoner or whatever. I hope that this will help to think twice about them, and Sven's option to leave the table to a safe home and be ready to be back again next day will be more sensible even in game terms.

Outside of the game, I think that a great event has been several years ago at GiocaRoma, a local game con. We played and we held a conference with two famed aviation historians, Gregory Alegi and Paolo Varriale (check their books, many of them are in English and they are all worth). The conference was called "Wings of War/Glory - It was not a game". A confrontation between the game and the real life of WW1 pilots and crews. Not to forget the harsh and bloody reality behind the game.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    What can I say? I get a little serious once in a while and my good friend Chris gets it, his humor and witt are delightful and like all things that have meanings on different levels, we respond where we are at the moment . . . is there an etymological connection to "pun" and "punishment?" should there be one? Is that why people wince at good puns?

there are indeed times to be serious.

but one can always make time to be silly as well!

yes i do believe there is a connection between pun and punishment. as there should be!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Me too. Then I got a preface to a gamebook of mine about Italian torpedo bombers. The preface was by a pilot who lost so many friends on S.79 "Gobbo Maledetto", Martino Aichner: "...A game about the S.79? About the plane that, used both as a bomber and as a torpedo-bomber with crews of five/six men, is the cause of the highest number of Italian airmen losses in al World War Two, it's not an irreverence. It's instead a way to renew the memory..."
    So I went on. And I did Wings of War (the Glory in the title has been put later by others). And I got a phone call by a lady whose father is in the game. With his name, his photo and an image of the plane in which he lost his life. She said that she had been puzzled at fiorst to find that in a game. But then she decided that it was a good way to remember him, and so many like him.
    So I go on...

"(the Glory in the title has been put later by others)" that is interesting as i was just a bit put off by the name at 1st because, to me, the only thing glorious in war is the day it ends. i decided it was silly of me to project my sensibilities on such a fine game.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Ah Chris, didn't mean to dis your comment, still love you bro! : )
    "The song of my people is Laughter In The Face Of Death; let me play it for you." ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. What happened to Zoe's thread on new projects?
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 23:39
  2. My projects to finish before Febuary 3rd!
    By richard m schwab in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 12:36
  3. Two future projects on my wish list...
    By The Cowman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 22:28
  4. Cowman's Terrain Projects
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 09:51
  5. Suggestions for 1st repaint projects?
    By Walt Powell in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 16:08