Ares Games

Thread: looking for info

Default looking for info

I know this may seem strange, BUT, is there data someplace that would give a feel for the size of the battlefront from say the landing strips to each side. I.E. how far did a pilot need to fly to reach a opponents bases. and where and what defenses. the reason for this is i have been trying to figure out what size area would be needed to make a MINIMUM playing field. i am thinking a small gym floor would be needed. a grid work would need to be worked up.
    if you have any ideas please send PM to me. i may never do anything with this but it is just something i have been wondering about for some time.

The Germans had airfields ten miles from the front. If that helps.

They had to be out of artillery range.

That would be impressive but would take forever to fly over !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    They had to be out of artillery range.
    Yes, leads to some questions because I'm clueless about land warfare.
    How far away was the enemy trenches?
    How far back was the enemy artillery from their own trenches?
    You did not want your artillery so close to be overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That would be impressive but would take forever to fly over !
    Really? At 50 kph (early war kite), airfields separated by 30 km would be a bit of a hike, but not forever. And in a SPAD XIII, I wouldn't suggest blinking, or you'd be in Germany.

Also, consider that most fights (denial of photo-reconnaissance missions, protection of photo-reconnaissance missions) were directly over the trenches. So, only 16-ish kms to the fights.

And even light artillery was capable of 10 km (6 mile) ranges, if you didn't use "Line of Sight" (Forward Observers or Map Grid targeting). The really big guns (railway monsters) could launch 640 kg (1,400 pounds) projectiles up to 36 kms (20+ miles).

There used to be an awesome interactive web site that listed all the airfields of WWI on a map. Sadly, it appears the web host is gone, and that site along with it.

Not as good, but helpful: Wikipedia: World War I Airfields

Can't find anything similar for an online resource for the Central Powers side, only individual listings. Sad.

PS: www.longlongtrail.co.uk - Life in the Trenches WWI (suggests trenches could be a depth of a few hundred yards separated by a few 10's of yards, to several miles deep separated by 100's of yards)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-07-2017 at 09:10.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

It is probably hard to make a hard and fast rule here. Airfields should be out of general artillery range but - at times - RFC airfields did come within range, mostly due to a sudden advance by the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    There used to be an awesome interactive web site that listed all the airfields of WWI on a map. Sadly, it appears the web host is gone, and that site along with it.
    Well do I recall that website with the interactive Jasta map! But that is the internet for you, the info only exists while there is someone prepared to pay the server bills.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Really? At 50 kph (early war kite), airfields separated by 30 km would be a bit of a hike, but not forever. And in a SPAD XIII, I wouldn't suggest blinking, or you'd be in Germany.

Also, consider that most fights (denial of photo-reconnaissance missions, protection of photo-reconnaissance missions) were directly over the trenches. So, only 16-ish kms to the fights.

And even light artillery was capable of 10 km (6 mile) ranges, if you didn't use "Line of Sight" (Forward Observers or Map Grid targeting). The really big guns (railway monsters) could launch 640 kg (1,400 pounds) projectiles up to 36 kms (20+ miles).
    I was thinking of playing Wings over a Gymnasium floor not the real thing !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I was thinking of playing Wings over a Gymnasium floor not the real thing !
    Back in the day (1970s/1980s) we did huge 1/72 scale air games with Airfix and Revell models on a Scout Hall floor. The only problem is that - as in real-life - you end up with a lot of flying but very little actual combat. Remember the old quote that real war is '99% boredom and 1% fear'. We ended up with a lot of boredom plus everyone knew where everyone was all the time. Very very unrealistic.

I would suggest that if you are doing a large game, use a map or scaled-down table area with a grid on it for the strategic moves and then just go to the wargames table with the miniatures when contact is made and combat begins. You will almost certainly need a neutral umpire or else use a 'shell game' set of campaign rules.

With 'shell game' rules you either use markers or containers which indicate real or dummy forces. When two such markers/containers meet in the same area, both are read or opened to see if anything is in them. The empty/dummies are eliminated while live units remain in play. If you can get hold of them, 35mm film containers are very handy. Try your local photo store and see if you can pick up the empty containers that rolls of film arrive in. About two dozen identical containers, some containing live counters or pieces of paper and some containing nothing or dummies would be ideal.

Ideally get the grey opaque film containers or else get the clear ones but spray paint inside so the contents cannot be seen. Provided all are identical then they will suit.

Back in the day, the late Don Featherstone used small English matchboxes (not the US-style matchbooks). These were stuck together to make a wall of boxes say 10 boxes by 10 boxes. One side moved their counter/s one box in any direction. Then they looked away while the other side made their move/s. If one side moved and found the box contained a counter already then contact was made and both sides compared notes to see what forces were involved. An added twist was dummy counters. One side reveals itself by attacking nothing! It worked!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

As an addition… if you are playing without an umpire envelopes can be used. Get a pack of small identical opaque envelopes. Paper chits indicating forces may be placed inside an envelope and the envelope is 'flown' around your table or map until two rival envelopes make contact - perhaps touching each other. If contact is made then the envelopes are opened and forces compared. Of course some envelopes may be empty as dummy forces.

In the event of cloud rules, put a openly displayed chit or counter on the envelope indicating height but nothing else. If the envelopes are both on the 'same side' as the cloud, they make contact. If they are either side of the clouds then they do not. Alternatively if the clouds are 3/10, 4/10 or 7/10ths in terms of density, then that becomes the percentage chance of sighting each other. Example: 3/10ths cloud means a 30% die roll with percentage dice or a D10 of 3 or less.

As part of a running battle, if one unit wins and flies on, its chit is replaced in one envelope but THREE identical envelopes are placed down. These then fly on in various directions and the enemy has to try to figure out which way they have gone. Great for WW1 without radar, if using WW2 with radar then give radar a nominal 'range' and the ability to read - say - one envelope per move.

Barry
    Last edited by 'Warspite'; 03-08-2017 at 05:06. Reason: Added a para

Got some data, front lines could be anywhere from 500' to 3000' apart. depending on side artillery was 1/2 to 3 miles behind lines. air strips were where ever they had open areas but within site of some type of town. so using some writers leaway , i think i can design a map from some of the ones out there. thanks for the commits.

I used the "box" campaign system in a land game and it worked very well indeed, something else I learnt from Mr Featherstone bless him

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I used the "box" campaign system in a land game and it worked very well indeed, something else I learnt from Mr Featherstone bless him
    Indeed it works!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    If you can get hold of them, 35mm film containers are very handy. Try your local photo store and see if you can pick up the empty containers that rolls of film arrive in. About two dozen identical containers, some containing live counters or pieces of paper and some containing nothing or dummies would be ideal.
    So… quoting myself is new!
    As a follow-up point, I just checked e-bay, etc, and I see that bulk quantities of 35mm film containers are sold quite cheap and it is not only possible to get the non-see-through type, it is also possible to get them in different colours, one colour for each side?
    Last time I was in a carpet warehouse I spotted vinyl flooring with a hex grid on it. Now… thinking about it… a piece of hex grid vinyl in pale blue would be the perfect grid to play on. Cardboard counters could mark airfields, trenches, and targets. Whenever a flight goes airborne from an airfield three canisters could be put down (two dummies and one with a real counter in it) and these could manoeuvre towards the front line. When they crossed the front line one dummy is removed due to spotting and telephone calls from the enemy ground troops and the other two fly-on. If intercepted by an 'enemy' film container both are opened and checked to see if anything is in them. If two live ones meet, there is a fight.
    Should the fight end and one side flies-on, all dummies are collected and three new ones go down in their place - one live and two dummy. Again one dummy disappears if it recrosses the line at any point.

Barry
    Last edited by 'Warspite'; 03-13-2017 at 16:08. Reason: spelling

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Well do I recall that website with the interactive Jasta map! But that is the internet for you, the info only exists while there is someone prepared to pay the server bills.
    Here is a Map that might assist!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Aerodromes Map.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	218948

That's handy Baz !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Info help!
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1