Ares Games

Thread: 8 Player Birthday Bash

Default 8 Player Birthday Bash

Santa Barbara Wargaming is my local gaming group. Great bunch of people, mostly focused on sci-fi and fantasy games like Warhammer 40k, Malifaux, Guild Ball and similar.

I've been a member for a couple years and have been slowly but surely introducing Wings of Glory to them. Originally X-Wing was very popular in the group and WoG didn't get much attention, but as frustration set in over X-Wing's constant stream of new releases and "chasing the meta", that system sort of died out as people didn't want to sustain the spending perceived necessary to "keep up."

In the meantime, I kept offering to give demo games of Wings of Glory, and sometimes would host fun scenarios like "Intercept the Gothas" and so forth, supplying all the models needed for all to play. The games have always been filled with lots of laughter and good cheer, and people can easily drop in to a game with no previous knowledge as the system is so straightforward to pick up.

This past couple weeks has seen an exciting breakthrough, however! Last Tuesday night we had what wound up being a marathon 5 hour session of back-to-back Wings of Glory sorties. They just kept asking for more games! Afterwards, one even purchased the Camel vs Dr.1 Duel Pack - success!

Last night, the owner of the home our group meets at was celebrating his birthday. I offered to bring Wings of Glory and he enthusiastically accepted - quite an honor! I decided to give him a RAP pack and a bright yellow Sachsenburg Fokker D.VII, knowing he'd appreciate its incredible capabilities after having been playing with Albatross D.IIIs, Eindeckers and Halberstadt D.IIIs last week.

We wound up having some birthday cake and then tucking into a lovely 8 player dogfight! It was great fun... four Fokker D.VIIs versus three Camels and an SE5a.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1334x1000.jpeg.8b3d1a508e1142cbb7e58ad5f588b2b8.large.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	217824

Name:	1334x1000.jpeg.67db81b24de84bcf8e886c5ee1cbc8a1.large.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	217825

Name:	1334x1000.jpeg.d7f29314b4d944f18005db5beb394476.large.jpg 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	217826

Name:	1334x1000.jpeg.f17ed336b0d94c0b927183e196847fd8.large.jpg 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	217827

Name:	1334x1000.jpeg.fbe5a8556dfa4f8386cef87a1af03cae.large.jpg 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	217828

The Fokkers ended up sweeping the field but the real winner last night was our game group - there was raucous laughter throughout and everyone seemed to really have a great time. The birthday boy messaged me this morning to reiterate how much he loves his new plane.

Victory!

Well done Steve, that was a top present to give and a top party to host !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp
    (snip) but the real winner last night was our game group - there was raucous laughter throughout and everyone seemed to really have a great time. The birthday boy messaged me this morning to reiterate how much he loves his new plane.

Victory!
    Yes, counts very much as a victory, regardless of the miniatures battle.

Thumbs up

Great Birthday present & game.

Well Done!

bravo steve. thats the way to get em hooked. i always emphasize to soon to be ex xwing players. no annoying power creep to contend with!

Well done Steve. WOG is a game where you can forget just how old you really are.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post

the real winner last night was our game group - there was raucous laughter throughout and everyone seemed to really have a great time. The birthday boy messaged me this morning to reiterate how much he loves his new plane.

Victory!
    Very well done Steve!
    That's the way to do it!

Similarly to your game, a couple of X-Wing players joined in our participation game at Beachhead, laughed a lot, had a great time, then went to the store stand and bought starter sets and planes.

Now that you've snagged them, make sure you keep them!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Gosh, thanks everyone! My group has expressed interest in running a campaign, I'm thinking something inspired by Bloody April (probably more in name than anything) might be good. Baby steps!

Similar Missions

1. Birthday bash
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 01:19
  2. WSF Bleriot XI Bash/Build
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-16-2013, 22:25
  3. Birthday bash
    By Boney10 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19