Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start saving your pennies (cents, etc)

Default Start saving your pennies (cents, etc)

Look what was on the Skytrex stand at Reading. Available in 2-3 weeks, pre-order now.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Yup was really nice, forced me to part with my redies honest Guv !!! Now got to start thinking of a base oooooohhhhh.
    Nice meeting you today matey

Looks like it's time to get a bigger playing table.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Look what was on the Skytrex stand at Reading. Available in 2-3 weeks, pre-order now.
    Soo that's why it's been so quiet on here today. All at Reading Eh. That is a fine monster and no mistake. Must get me one of those then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That looks like a nice kit.

It looks fabulous! ...unfortunately; no skill, no time, no patience to put one together...guess I'll have to wait until Nexus issues one

Default WOW!

That bird is suuhhhweeeet! Looks like I need to get moving on my current builds so I can jump on one or two of those babies!

Oh man... I am gonna have to sell my Warmachine collection to support my WoW addiction... insane... I LOVE IT!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Soo that's why it's been so quiet on here today. All at Reading Eh. Rob.
    Yep! It sure is a big beastie, and conveniently out in time for Chrimbo. Come on Dom or Colonel, get a decal sheet sorted for it

Parted with a large pile of dosh on Skytrex's stand in the first 5 minutes of getting to the Warfare show, I wish they wouldn't have their stand so close to the entrance

Good to meet Flash and Boney10 there, nice to put names to faces.

My word that certainly is a thing of beauty. It's no good now I simply MUST have one asap

Holy propeller wash! That looks gorgeous.
    Steve, is the fuselage a single piece casting?
    best regards
    Aris K.

Spot the spelling mistake on the photograph. No prizes.
    Rob.

Good to meet Flash and Boney10 there, nice to put names to faces.
    Good to meet you chaps too ! Central & Southern England Squadron Commanders & SW Flight Commander meet...a meeting of the minds so to speak...so it didn't last long Seeing this thread I now know where you slipped off to
    I have just been replacing the undercart on a very cheap Baracca Spad I picked up & looking up skins for a repaint so that will keep me busy....along with all that white metal I have to paint for Ambush Alley
    Just noticed the acting CO - gold wings, very nice - look busy!!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Scott Edwards
    Sorties Flown

GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On pre-order. Woo hoo!

Steve, do you think John's camo decals will cover this beast?

Cool

That's a big boy. Maybe we will need to play on the floor with a few of these in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Akosion View Post
    Steve, is the fuselage a single piece casting?
    best regards
    Aris K.
    Yes, I believe it is. Probably resin but I couldn't tell for sure, as Mr Skytrex adopted a very nervous look when I started prodding it to find out.

Spot the spelling mistake on the photograph. No prizes.
    Rob.
    There should be a full-stop between the '2' and the '5' - it's only Ł2.50

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    On pre-order. Woo hoo!

Steve, do you think John's camo decals will cover this beast?
    A couple of sheets might, but I have a feeling the size of the lozenges on this bird were larger than on the Gotha. You'd better blow in John's ear

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Good to meet you chaps too ! Central & Southern England Squadron Commanders & SW Flight Commander meet...a meeting of the minds so to speak...so it didn't last long Seeing this thread I now know where you slipped off to
    Actually Dave, Chris and I were doing things in moderation - the Moderation is the name of the pub along the road towards the station

A couple of sheets might, but I have a feeling the size of the lozenges on this bird were larger than on the Gotha. You'd better blow in John's ear
    Or just blow it up yourself.
    The mistake was their spelling of Staaken with only one a.
    Rob.

Or just blow it up yourself.
    The mistake was their spelling of Staaken with only one a.
    Rob.
    You silly old fool That says "Pre-Orders Taken" not "Staken". Time to change your glasses again mate

I was thinking that I might enlarge the stuff myself. Have to wait til the beast arrives first. Makes me wonder where Mr Skytrex got the decals?

In these days of austerity, they can only afford one 'A'

Is John's sheet on file anywhere here?

You silly old fool That says "Pre-Orders Taken" not "Staken". Time to change your glasses again mate

I was thinking that I might enlarge the stuff myself. Have to wait til the beast arrives first. Makes me wonder where Mr Skytrex got the decals?
    I think it was hand-painted (if so whoever did it is a gibbering wreck now), but maybe you could use 1/72 scale decals? That would probably work. Almark, Pegasus and Eagle Strike do/did them.

In these days of austerity, they can only afford one 'A'

Is John's sheet on file anywhere here?
    No not yet. He's only sent it out to a few people for testing purposes, to see how it works on different printers and what problem people experience etc.....

I think it was hand-painted (if so whoever did it is a gibbering wreck now), but maybe you could use 1/72 scale decals? That would probably work. Almark, Pegasus and Eagle Strike do/did them.
    Wow that's some hand painting job. He's probably in a room with it for wallpaper now, just salavating in the corner.

How much bigger than the HP is this beasty?

WOW - nice model at a 'nice' price too. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. Not hard to figure that one out - BUY, BUY, BUY!

OK I've just looked up wingspans and done a quick calculation.

The HP 0/400 had a wing span of 30.48m (100ft) @ 1:144 that should be 211mm (8 1/4in)
    The Staaken had a wingspan of 42.2m (138ft) @ 1:144 that shoiuld be 293mm (11 1/2in)

So about 36% larger than the HP. Now that is a big plane. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Wow, cool!!!

OK I've just looked up wingspans and done a quick calculation.

The HP 0/400 had a wing span of 30.48m (100ft) @ 1:144 that should be 211mm (8 1/4in)
    The Staaken had a wingspan of 42.2m (138ft) @ 1:144 that shoiuld be 293mm (11 1/2in)

So about 36% larger than the HP. Now that is a big plane. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Wow, cool!!!
    I did the same calc last night to see if it would fit longways in my pick and pluck tray, and got to within 1/8 inch of yours, so we must be about there if Skytrex also have their sums right.
    Rob.

[QUOTE=tonyc206;36361]You silly old fool That says "Pre-Orders Taken" not "Staken". Time to change your glasses again mate
    QUOTE]
    Curses! sussed out again. Its the glasses that are the trouble. It's not changing them, its refilling them so often that causes all the problems.
    Kyte.

That just looks AWESOME...

Lucky.

I asked Mr Skytrex about the camo , he said he bought some decals from another company, but it had to be done in sections. I am going to contact them and find out the gen will post when I get it
    C

So he did put decals on it, and there isn't one of his junior employees sitting in a rubber room after painting it.

Looked about a foot for the wingspan, if I remember rightly. We'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks time when they start hitting our doormats.

Any bets on how long Kytey takes to finish his? 3 hours? half-a-day?

So he did put decals on it, and there isn't one of his junior employees sitting in a rubber room after painting it.
    Any bets on how long Kytey takes to finish his? 3 hours? half-a-day?
    That very much depends on if I can gain access or not to the rubber room. Putting the decals on the A.E.G. took days, as I did one layup at a time, then softened them down twice with microsol, waited for them to dry again, before moving on to the next side of the plane.Then you have the extra insignia to lay up on top. I reckon on about a week. If I don't get the Christmas cards to write about then.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I asked Mr Skytrex about the camo , he said he bought some decals from another company, but it had to be done in sections. I am going to contact them and find out the gen will post when I get it
    C
    Excellent recce there Chris. I look forward to further intel.

Well done old bean

Tony

Thats an impressive model! Something else to work out how to smuggle past my Ground Controller without her realising!

Now we have the Staaken to look forward to and the pending release of the WoW Caproni, the only planes not available from the Flight of the Giants will be the Friedrichshafen and the Curtiss. I wonder if they are going to look at those in the future.
    Rob.

Now we have the Staaken to look forward to and the pending release of the WoW Caproni, the only planes not available from the Flight of the Giants will be the Friedrichshafen and the Curtiss. I wonder if they are going to look at those in the future.
    Rob.
    The Friedrichshafen is available from Revirsco, but unfortunately it's a paper model

The Friedrichshafen is available from Revirsco, but unfortunately it's a paper model
    Yes Tony, I was aware of that. Unfortunately it just don't cut it for me.
    Rob.

Yes Tony, I was aware of that. Unfortunately it just don't cut it for me.
    Rob.
    Or me Rob. I'm sure that Mr Skytrex will release them both before too long. He seems very good at producing the WoW miniatures at the right time. He did it last year with the balloon too.

SRAM have had a number of the big bombers listed as future releases for some time now, but after recieving the AEG G.IV the other day I'm less inclined to go for them. The wings are so flimsy.

SRAM have had a number of the big bombers listed as future releases for some time now, but after recieving the AEG G.IV the other day I'm less inclined to go for them. The wings are so flimsy.
    The info about SRAM is very useful. I was thinking of trying them, but won't bother now.
    Rob.

The info about SRAM is very useful. I was thinking of trying them, but won't bother now.
    Rob.
    Their smaller kits are absolutely fine. I've built 2 Albatros C.Xs and have 2 Brisfits. I do replace the struts with plastic rod.

It's only the AEG G.IV that is so flimsey. I can bend both wings into almost a semi-circle.

I'll give a full run down with pics when the Revirsco one arrives

It's only the AEG G.IV that is so flimsey. I can bend both wings into almost a semi-circle.
    Bend, bend, twang, snap - that's another 21 quid down the pan

Default from ronald

look's bad a$$ and big. love the camo. can't whate to get 1or2

Ok Gents siad I would post when I found out, I have managed to find some 5 pattern lozenge pattern decals.
    They are 1/72 scale but with the size of the Staaken I thing it will look right.
    got the decals from Hannants in UK, go to the Website and search for Lozenge Decals.
    If you want to know the makers of the Decals PM me and I'll send you the name of the company. I am now hoping I got enough. The packs come with two sheets Top and Underneath. PM for more details on size etc

"There should be a full-stop between the '2' and the '5' - it's only Ł2.50 "

Phew! ...I did think 25 quid was pricey...I assumed it was already built out

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    "There should be a full-stop between the '2' and the '5' - it's only Ł2.50 "

Phew! ...I did think 25 quid was pricey...I assumed it was already built out
    Sorry to disappoint Jim, bit it is Ł25 unbuilt. Now, how many did you say you wanted?

got the decals from Hannants in UK, go to the Website and search for Lozenge Decals.
    Right! Own up you lot - who bought Hannants out of Techmod lozenge decals? Nobody leaves until they admit to it.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 12-03-2010 at 15:05.

Right! Own up you lot - who bought Hannants out of Techmod lozenge decals? Nobody leaves until they admit to it.
    Worn't me guv. Honest I'm just blowing up the GOTHA ONES A BIT. One size fits all.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I uploaded the PDF file for the gotha lozenge camo a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if screwed up the process or Keith needs to approve it, but I'm hoping it will be available for download soon.

I now have a Windsock data file for the Staaken. Because there were only 18 made it's a bit more difficult to do a generic sheet like I did with the Gotha. However, even though they all seem to have been different, they were quite well documented so it shouldn't be too hard to adapt my existing files to suit.

Whilst a 1/72 scale sheet of repeating lozenge will look good and be fairly easy to do, that's not how Staaken were painted. The big patches on Staakens were hand-painted randomly, not repeating. At least one was done in printed fabric. It looks really odd, because the repeating patches seem too small for the aircraft and the fuselage took two horizontal strips of fabric to cover one side. Apparently it was day colour print with a translucent coat of blue dope over it.

Once I get my Staaken I'll sort out a suitable decal sheet for it, and upload it for everyone.

What a nice man that John is!

(sheepish grin looking down at feet) errrm think it might have been me, I got 3 sets

Yay Yay for John

What a nice man that John is!
    Too right. We have a great bunch of chaps on here, who would do anything to help each other out. That is one of the things that makes this such a great site.
    Rob.

(sheepish grin looking down at feet) errrm think it might have been me, I got 3 sets
    Right Boney10, report to my office

Too right. We have a great bunch of chaps on here, who would do anything to help each other out.
    Rob.
    Can you lend us a tenner then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. S.E.5a How do I start?
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 15:57