Ares Games

Thread: Albatross C.III Query

Default Albatross C.III Query

Was the forward firing machine gun beyond reach of the pilot? It just looks like it to me ... If so, should this gun be penalized with permanent jams?

Also, is it just me or does everybody else have no forward firing machine gun on their model? Mine both have slots sculpted in to allow for it, but no piece mounted ...

It might have been accessible from inside the cockpit but it is set quite well forward. Not mentioned as an issue in the Windsock data file, or any reference I've seen online so maybe it was OK.
    Not looked at the model that closely but this is where it should be:
    Last edited by flash; 02-25-2017 at 15:09.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Here is a photograph of an Albatros C.III cockpit from the Windsock Datafile. You can see part of the forward machine gun on the starboard side. Perhaps the pilot could reach forward and hammer on the breach to clear a jam, if he stood up?

Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  93.6 KB

Possibly someone from New Zealand has seen a replica there and could give a definitive answer.

Here is a good view of the engine in a photograph from www.alamy.com You can see the cocking lever at the back of the gun near the strut. I think that the pilot would have been able to reach it.

Name:  albatros-c-iii-nowarra-photo-f2f76b.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  68.8 KB

Thanks, guys. I can certainly see how the pilot could reach the cocking lever. Beyond that, reaching the breach strikes me as rather "iffy". But if there hasn't been any documentation to the contrary, I'll just leave the forward-firing gun as reachable ... though I AM tempted to apply a negative modifier. It's all these "little" subtleties (especially with the earlier planes) that make this game so interesting.

Maybe 4 phases to clear (5 with a pilot wounded)?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Maybe 4 phases to clear (5 with a pilot wounded)?
    Karl
    Exactly what I was thinking ...

Similar Missions

1. SE5 query
    By Ben UK in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 15:08
  2. Tailing query
    By redlancer38 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 09:44
  3. WGS Want: Pfalz, Voss Albatross D.III, Albatross D.Vs Have:Halberstadt D.III, others
    By BraselC5048 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2016, 12:05
  4. MOAB Query?
    By gully_raker in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 01:23
  5. National Rules Query
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 14:00