Ares Games

Thread: SE5a calamity

Default SE5a calamity

Hi guys, while attempting a repaint of my Bishop SE5a in my hamfisted removal from its box packaging I have managed to break off one of the propellor blades ( yes I know i am ) Tried gluing but this turned into a disaster.
    However looking through Osprey's SE5a Aces I noticed some SE5a with just two blades on the prop.
    Can anyone help, is this correct can I just lop off another blade and all will be well or do I need to go back to gluing?
    The Skytrex SE5a also only has 2 blades

There was a discussion about the proper number of propeller blades here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ghlight=blades

(about the middle of the thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hi guys, while attempting a repaint of my Bishop SE5a in my hamfisted removal from its box packaging I have managed to break off one of the propellor blades ( yes I know i am ) Tried gluing but this turned into a disaster.
    However looking through Osprey's SE5a Aces I noticed some SE5a with just two blades on the prop.
    Can anyone help, is this correct can I just lop off another blade and all will be well or do I need to go back to gluing?
    I think we decided that both are correct. The early models had 4 blades and later they swapped to two. Dom has chapter and verse on it I'm sure. If I remember, it all had to do with drag and turbulence across the aerofoils.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Me, I'm a 2 blade man. Go for it!

Lop off the blade and fly away. Some had 4 and some had 2.

Here's a pic of a two-blader: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SE...r_memorial.jpg

And here's another: http://www.acepilots.com/wwi/se5a.html

And another: http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft...in/raf_se5.php

and one more: http://www.airmuseumsuk.org/airshow/...RAF%20SE5a.htm

So...looks like, from my limited research, that a 2 blader is probably the better representation. Of course I'm always open to being shown otherwise

I am sure that in multiple discussions during my three years of experience playing Aerodrome 1.1, it was stated that some came with two blades, and some with four. In fact I have seen Roden 1/72 scale SE.5a model kits that came with your choice of prop. I own a four blader kit (unbuilt) and a two blader. So lop away!

Note the pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Se5a_2.JPG  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Cowman, that is just one lovely colour scheme, I can just imagine the look on a Hun's face watching that aircraft coming towards him lol.
    Oh and it has been loped. Will post pics of my SE5a repaints soon

Well done Chris - you knew it made sense ! Mine have been pruned too - I read it was to do with the gearing that allowed them to use the two bladed prop - guess it was easier to shoot through too !!

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

I saw these 3 replicas at Shoreham Air Show last year and they are all 2 bladers as you can see

Tony I would have loved to have been at that air show... how cool!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Tony I would have loved to have been at that air show... how cool!
    It was an excellent show. I took over 200 piccies. Lots of WW1 stuff in the air. Fokker & Sopwith triplanes.

WWII stuff was BoB flight, spitfires, hurri-bomber, mustangs, Me 108 & 109, B17.......

Try taking some clear, thin, hard plastic (like the kind on the front of a blister for most mini companies). Trace a small round circle on it (about the same dia as the prop) and cut it out. Lop the whole prop off. With a pin vice drill into the body and insert a bit of wire. Use the same pin vice to drill a hole into the prop disc you cut out. Put onto the pin and glue. Viola!

You can see mine here: Black Sheep Customs

I already have done some acetate turning blades for some of my Skytrex birds, not sure yet whether to go all hog and do them all, oh decisions decisions

I already have done some acetate turning blades for some of my Skytrex birds, not sure yet whether to go all hog and do them all, oh decisions decisions
    Just a personal thing, with no logic behind it, but I always think the discs look great on WW2 aircraft, but props look correct on WW1 planes.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just a personal thing, with no logic behind it, but I always think the discs look great on WW2 aircraft, but props look correct on WW1 planes.
    Rob.
    Agreed! Wooden props on WWI era aircraft were works of art and should be seen!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. Nieuports, SE5a & Jamage.
    By flash in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 11:19
  2. Boudwin SE5A
    By chub in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 14:50
  3. SE5a guns and SE5
    By IRM in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 17