Ares Games

Thread: For Anyone With An F-104 Lying Around...

Default For Anyone With An F-104 Lying Around...

Now you can get in on Launching Small Satellites Into Orbit:

http://www.flyingmag.com/company-pla...04-starfighter

Great idea, I hope it 'takes off'

And excuse me, Starfighter Inc? Sounds like an awesome place to work!

It sounds like a good idea but wouldn't a more modern plane be better as a launch platform?

I think the plane's age makes it possible financially to be used by a private company for this endeavor.

F-15 would be a better choice, but the only way the US Gov will let anyone buy one is as one-inch cubes.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Elsewhere, discussions has leaned toward uprated MiG-25s; and some of the folks I know could get a SR-71 operational.... >:)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Elsewhere, discussions has leaned toward uprated MiG-25s; and some of the folks I know could get a SR-71 operational.... >
    'Cept that you know USAF would never let 'em, so Team Blackbird would have to build an entirely new one from scratch.

Chance to improve the design with forty years of new tech... though per Rich Graham who used to command the 9th SRW, the best engines we have today used as a core for "J58 Redux" would do nothing for performance beyond a shorter takeoff roll.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

i think that its an interesting idea to use the f-104 as a satellite launcher. the plane itself already looks like a rocket!

appropriately named aircraft lol. man, i want that job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    'Cept that you know USAF would never let 'em, so Team Blackbird would have to build an entirely new one from scratch.
    I know entirely too many people who would respond to this with "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED"....