Ares Games

Thread: Wiki of Glory - want to join?

Default Wiki of Glory - want to join?

Dear all,
    here a little idea I had in my mind for quite several time: a Wiki with historical details about all planes, pilots and units that are featured in the game. Wings of Glory and Wings oif War, miniatures and cards, WW2 and WW1.
    You know so much about them and you share all this knowledge in this forum and elsewhere. A Wiki could collect all this knowledge, to be ordinately shared and remembered. Here it is, as a little draft:

http://www.wikiofglory.info

I did a list of products to use as a reference and started to make a few pages. Up to you to make them better and to add more, if you want. You need to register, biut it's easy, very quick and totally free.

Standards are important not to get lost in the labyrinth of a growing Wiki. Here some notes on how to contribute and which pages to use as a reference to see what should be linked from each kind of page:

http://www.wikiofglory.info/index.ph...Of_Glory:About

Of course this forum is and will ever be the real focus of the community. So I propose to use this thread to discuss, propose and ask anything about that Wiki. Thayt will be your Wiki, so feel free to propose any modification that can make it better and more useful to you.

Thanks to anybody who will like to join!
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 01-23-2018 at 00:11.

Andrea, here's a link to one I started up a while back--you're welcome to adopt it too, or the few templates I got up, if you like. Ran out of energy to keep up...

http://wings-of-war-wings-of-glory.w...Maneuver_Decks
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thanks a lot Diamondback! A nice job indeed.

I did not know that there was already a Wiki page, I'd have built on that instead. In any case thanks a lot - here a Maneuvre Deck page that I adapted from your:

http://79.170.44.100/wikiofglory.inf...Maneuvre_decks

I will see what it can be done for your products page, very neat and clean.

If you want to contribute directly, that would be really great.

Andrea, I'll nibble at the edges as I get a chance... maybe collaborating will make it less daunting than trying to do it all solo.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

That sounds like a very good idea, Andrea. In addition to the link to Ares Games, may I suggest that there should be a link to this site.

Correct! Well, there is one in the link page:

http://79.170.44.100/wikiofglory.inf...hp?title=Links

And one in the "How to contribute" page pointing to this very thread:

http://79.170.44.100/wikiofglory.inf...Of_Glory:About

Feel free to add anything else you think it's needed. This should be everybody's Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Dear all,
    here a little idea I had in my mind for quite several time: a Wiki with historical details about all planes, pilots and units that are featured in the game.

[...]

Thanks to anybody who will like to join!
    This would be fantastic

May be a special medal would help with motivation for this effort?

Maybe add to the manoeuvre page the contents of each deck, ie speed, size of deck, cards included, or just link it to this document:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2043

Correction needed: Under products - Wings of Glory - Airplane packs 1 was not:
    WOW107A Spad XIII Francesco Baracca
    WOW107B Spad XIII René Paul Fonck
    WOW107C Spad XIII Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

but
    WGF101A Spad XIII Captain Edward V. Rickenbacker 94th Aero Squadron U.S. Air Service
    WGF101B Spad XIII Sous-Lieutenant Marcel Coadau Spa 88 Aviation Militaire
    WGF101C Spad XIII Lieutenant Georges Félix Madon Spa 38 Aviation Militaire

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Looks like a great undertaking! Would like to join!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Maybe add to the manoeuvre page the contents of each deck, ie speed, size of deck, cards included, or just link it to this document:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2043

Correction needed: Under products - Wings of Glory - Airplane packs 1 was not:
    WOW107A Spad XIII Francesco Baracca
    WOW107B Spad XIII René Paul Fonck
    WOW107C Spad XIII Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

but
    WGF101A Spad XIII Captain Edward V. Rickenbacker 94th Aero Squadron U.S. Air Service
    WGF101B Spad XIII Sous-Lieutenant Marcel Coadau Spa 88 Aviation Militaire
    WGF101C Spad XIII Lieutenant Georges Félix Madon Spa 38 Aviation Militaire
    Actually, BOTH are correct - Nexus group vs. Ares group--one of the things I started on mine, and I hope Andrea will keep, is to include both publications in one site.

Yes I corrected a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Looks like a great undertaking! Would like to join!
    Please do. It will remain a very poor and limited things without the contributes of you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    May be a special medal would help with motivation for this effort?
    I would like this forum to be the reference for that Wiki, and the other way around. Any better idea to integrate them is welcome. I should hear
    Oberst Hajj about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Actually, BOTH are correct - Nexus group vs. Ares group--one of the things I started on mine, and I hope Andrea will keep, is to include both publications in one site.
    Actually, you'd have found the WoW listing was under BOTH the WoW AND the WoG... which WAS incorrect... until corrected by Andrea.

Pass the bat someone.

when i try to go there all i get is;

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wikiofglory.info/index.php on this server.
    Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Apache/2.4.23 (Unix) Server at 79.170.44.100 Port 80

Thanks for telling me. I will check with the admin later in the day.

I cant follow the link either I get the same message as Phillip does above.
    See you on the Dark Side......

There has been a change of IP addresses. Systems are being updated. I hope that they do it soon.

Is this for official models only? If not, unofficial planes should have a separate section for them.
    Perhaps 3 sections - Ares, Nexus, and Unofficial.

That's your Wiki. Keep lists of products separated, but pilots/planes/units can stay together.
    Contribute as mach as you want! (as soon as you can)

Can we get a URL of a name or something instead of an IP address? Perhaps wingsofglory.website which is available. Or even a sub domain of this site, perhaps www.wingsofwar.org/wiki would be nice if Keith or whomever is in charge would approve. All you'd need is a simple redirect if he doesn't want to add to this site, though it would be nice to keep everything together.

I think I'll need a tutorial on Wiki editing. Any one familiar that can school me?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

It's been nearly a month since the last post and the URL still seems broken to me. Any updates?

Wiki down

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wikiofglory.info/index.php on this server.
    Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Apache/2.4.26 (Unix) Server at 79.170.44.100 Port 80

Does that mean the project is over ????

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

It will require a great deal of work to bring it up to date.

In my opinion it does not need to be totally updated. It would just be fine if anybody who posts infos about planes pilots units or such on the forum, here and there, as it often happens, for threads to be soon forgotten when more recent ones show up, would also most the same info on the Wiki to be always easily recovered. With time, it would grow.

Similar Missions

1. The Staaken join
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-07-2016, 19:57
  2. Join me at the bar, 4 years!
    By Warhawk in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-26-2016, 02:02
  3. Please join me at the bar...
    By BB401 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-10-2015, 12:03
  4. Join me in the mess...
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 12:38
  5. Name Day - do you celebrate? Join me!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 06:58