Ares Games

Thread: House rules on gliding

Lightbulb House rules on gliding

Gliding home – Have you ever been mixing it up with a gaggle of enemy aircraft the wrong side of the lines and drawn that nasty card with the cogs on it for a second time? What’s to stop you trying to make it back to friendly territory? Most WW1 era aircraft were good gliders (WW2 people DON’T TRY THIS IN A P47!) what if instead of being “eliminated” you could head for home on a stall and a dive card per turn (and no other steeps?). Some unsporting types might still shoot you down but a dead stick landing in a field should be possible.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, especially if you are running a campaign. Maybe throw a straight card in between the dive and stall cards? I'm not sure what would properly represent the planes speed while gliding. The rules for making a landing are already in the WoW rules (Burning Drachens). You could come up with a way to determine if you make it to a field safe to land on or crash land, which is also in the same rules.

The "Daring Rescue" rules in Knights are applicable too. I think the stall - glide - straight is too restricive - surely gentle turns and sideslips would be needed - especially if we had to place the landing field immediately on taking the second engine damage card making it a challenge to judge it right for distance and altitude. Easy to dump height with an overdive impossible to make it up again.

I like the idea campaign games, but would rather do without it for one-time match ups (keep things simple do'cha know).

I'm fine with the stall-glide-straight also.

Thumbs up

I agree with Mac. I would limit the rule to the campaign games.

VG

I like the idea... and agree that itwould be better for campaign use. I may have to work it in once I get my group of players formed.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I am going to add it to my repertoire. it sounds like a great way of giving a player an extended few game turns.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    I like the idea campaign games, but would rather do without it for one-time match ups (keep things simple do'cha know).

I'm fine with the stall-glide-straight also.
    Yep...maybe for campaigns...but probably not for one-on-ones.

During our games, when a plane is reduced to zero or less (not drawing an explosion card) we consider it forced down to a crash landing. We use a die roll to deturmine what happens to the pilot/observer. Crews that choose to land due to damage (before reaching zero) do so with no penalty and only roll to see how they fair getting home on foot.

Roll 1 d6 (for each crew member)
    If over Friendly Territory
    1-3 the pilot/observer dies while trying to crash land.
    4-6 All OK

If over No-mans Land
    4-6 All OK
    Roll again to see if they make it across the lines on foot. (success on 4-6)

If over Enemy Territory
    4-6 All OK
    Roll again to avoid capture and make it to No-mans Land on foot. (success on 4-6)
    If successful at escape Roll again to make it across the lines home (success on 4-6)

Because we play using our league system, having our crews survive is important to our scores as well as gaining Ace Skills for them. However we still tend to use these rolls as a simple way to add flavor to our non league games just for fun!

If you are using the rule that drawing the engine damage twice means that your engine is destroyed, you could use the rolls to deturmine the outcome of the dead stick landing in an unprepaired field. (maybe increase the chance from our 50% to a 3-6 for success?)

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    Gliding home – Have you ever been mixing it up with a gaggle of enemy aircraft the wrong side of the lines and drawn that nasty card with the cogs on it for a second time? What’s to stop you trying to make it back to friendly territory? Most WW1 era aircraft were good gliders (WW2 people DON’T TRY THIS IN A P47!) what if instead of being “eliminated” you could head for home on a stall and a dive card per turn (and no other steeps?). Some unsporting types might still shoot you down but a dead stick landing in a field should be possible.

Thoughts?
    You could rule that every second card played has to be either a stall or dive.
    Then use the landing rules and apply damage if the landing track intersects any terrain.
    (I`m assuming some sort of terrain map is being used.)
    Lots of possible scenario potential here for heroic rescues of downed pilots and so on!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    You could rule that every second card played has to be either a stall or dive.
    Then use the landing rules and apply damage if the landing track intersects any terrain.
    (I`m assuming some sort of terrain map is being used.)
    Lots of possible scenario potential here for heroic rescues of downed pilots and so on!
    Damn! I wish I had said that.
    You will Kytey. You will.

You could use climb counters each level equates to four climb counters and with each move you loose one climb counter.
    Linz

So I'm assuming you will be announcing you are going down and can no longer shoot as well. Maybe you can put a marker on you base to show that your plane is going down as well. If you are not using altitude is there a set number of moves or turns till you are on the ground? This will make you vulnerable to attacks from players with little scruples or just out for blood.

Great idea
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post

Thoughts?
    Great idea

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Damn! I wish I had said that.
    You will Kytey. You will.
    HEHE...
    Shows what happens when I dont read the post closely before replying.
    The only difference between what we are thinking about is that your system involves a rigid alternation between stalling and diving while I would prefer to give the player the option of continually playing stalls to keep them at the same altitude.
    This strikes me as a good way to reflect the altitude/airspeed tradeoff that occurs in real flying without making things too complicated.
    Whether an additional rule to limit the number of turns you could stay at the same altitude would be necessary or whether the constant playing of stalls every other card to avoid diving would be enough to make you a `sitting duck` if you tried it is something that will only become obvious through playtesting.
    Personally, I think the KISS principle applies here.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 04-02-2011 at 06:54.

I would prefer to give the player the option of continually playing stalls to keep them at the same altitude.
    Reminds me of the tale of the guy on a 747 when the pilot anounces an engine failure and a consequent hours delay in arrival. Then a second engine gives out and the delay rises to two hours, then a third engine gives up the ghost. The fellah comments to the white-faced passenger beside him "Jeez, I hope number 4 doesn't fail - we'll be up here all night!"

We have a 12 aircraft game tomorrow (6 players 2 aircraft each). We play without altitude almost all of the time.

I like the glide idea after 2 ENGINE DAMAGE cards, and also the dice-roll idea. I think I will propose that we combine them.

If your engine stops due to drawing a 2nd ENGINE DAMAGE card any remaining manoeuvres in the Turn become Stalls, and if in the next two Turns you are able to survive using 2 stalls and 1 of any non-steep, non-immelmann manoeuvre then you are considered to have made a controlled landing on rough ground. The survival odds in this case would be 75%; our normal survival if shot-down is 50% (except if on fire when its 25%). On top of this would be the capture or not conditions described by Charlie 3 above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    We have a 12 aircraft game tomorrow (6 players 2 aircraft each). We play without altitude almost all of the time.

I like the glide idea after 2 ENGINE DAMAGE cards, and also the dice-roll idea. I think I will propose that we combine them.

If your engine stops due to drawing a 2nd ENGINE DAMAGE card any remaining manoeuvres in the Turn become Stalls, and if in the next two Turns you are able to survive using 2 stalls and 1 of any non-steep, non-immelmann manoeuvre then you are considered to have made a controlled landing on rough ground. The survival odds in this case would be 75%; our normal survival if shot-down is 50% (except if on fire when its 25%). On top of this would be the capture or not conditions described by Charlie 3 above.
    That sounds good. I would just add the last turn be a stall straight stall for the landing. Just an idea.

Excellent and very logical idea Tom. Thanks.
    It will be so!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post

Again I like this idea. I think I will modify it to Stall-dive-Stall until you reach the ground. then the % rules apply. I like anything that gives the player/pilot a glimmer of hope.
    Rob.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps we could allow the player to avoid playing the dive card by `spending` any climb counters he might have and substituting another stall card?

Perhaps we could allow the player to avoid playing the dive card by `spending` any climb counters he might have and substituting another stall card?
    By interspersing a dive card with two stall cards I was trying to ensure that the glide was faster than stall speed but allowed the drop in altitude to gradually take effect. The accounts of several pilots have them gliding for several miles over no mans land to make a crash landing on the right side of the lines. Going down with a stall every card would preclude this.
    Rob.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`m rather thinking more along the lines of Stall,Level Maneuver,Stall/Dive for the first post engine failure turn.
    Then alternating between Stall/Dive and Level Maneuver on subsequent turns, using any Climb Counters to `by` a second consecutive stall and avoid playing a mandatory dive.
    Or another use might be to `bump` the playing of the Stall or Dive card by one slot or is that to complicated?
    So I`m trying to get the same effect while allowing the player a bit more flexibility in what they can do.
    Doing it this way I think prevents Climbing or Imelmann maneuvers but still allows the player to pull something creative/suicidal like a Split-S or Overdive to trade altitude for airspeed to stay in the air longer.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 04-03-2011 at 04:52.

I`m rather thinking more along the lines of Stall,Level Maneuver,Stall/Dive for the first post engine failure turn.
    Then alternating between Stall/Dive and Level Maneuver on subsequent turns, using any Climb Counters to `by` a second consecutive stall and avoid playing a mandatory dive.
    Or another use might be to `bump` the playing of the Stall or Dive card by one slot or is that to complicated?
    So I`m trying to get the same effect while allowing the player a bit more flexibility in what they can do.
    Doing it this way I think prevents Climbing or Imelmann maneuvers but still allows the player to pull something creative/suicidal like a Split-S or Overdive to trade altitude for airspeed to stay in the air longer.
    I get your point. i suppose this could be qualified by " must be trying to reach own lines".
    Rob.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I like this. I'm going to test play this idea in our flight.

I just tried out, a simple straight or flat turn with a dive in each set of three cards to simulate the gradual loss of height. this does not preclude the dive card being played as a dive to gain airspeed in addition, as you can do overdive, straight, stall, if you count the overdive as one move. From a height of 4 or more. This almost guarantees you getting back over the lines as long as you don't have to employ the extra dive card. If it takes you off the board on your side of the lines, you made it back to your drome, but still have to make your landing.
    Any reflections on this chaps?
    Rob.

After reading through this thread (lots of good stuff, thanks guys), I was thinking of going with Stall/any non-steep/Dive or Stall/any non-steep/Stall myself (player's choice, ignoring normal turn to turn card limitations). If you can't get off the board, you'd just use the normal rules for landing (so you take 4x A-Damage cards for landing anywhere other than a landing strip, ignoring all special damage other than fires and explosions. If this destroys the plane, just use whichever rules you favour for pilot survival).

If you get off the board, you'd roll a D6 aiming for 6-(height you left the table at). Roll higher and you reach some sort of landing strip, lower and you have to use the normal rules for landing. i.e At height 2, roll 4+, at height 6 or more you automatically reach an airfield or emergency field and then use whichever rules you care to, if any, for landing damaged aircraft. You could always use D8 or higher if you wanted to make it harder (i.e. needing to roll 8-height), or different dice values for Aces/certain pilot skills etc.
    Last edited by IRM; 04-12-2011 at 10:03.

Similar Missions

1. Spinning as house rules
    By Druid_ian in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-31-2023, 03:08
  2. WWII House rules
    By Nipotra Paul in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 12:15
  3. Possible house rules
    By Pooh in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 2