Ares Games

Thread: mats to play game.

Default mats to play game.

My friend purchased the mats for WW1 but in my opinion They are to slick. Card moves when you move model plane. Any suggestions for a better game mat that have a little more grip?

Do you mean the Wings of War mats that come as East and West? I don't think anyone I have played with has ever had that problem.

You could try a static grass mat such as the Games Workshop or similar.

yes, they were too slick for me When you go to move the model plane and have a slight shake to your hand the card scoots out of position

We had one mat that was really slick for the cards. After some use, it got much better.

The more you use the cards, the less slick they become.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    The more you use the cards, the less slick they become.
    We've had no problem with the mats. Actually, we like the fact that they seem a little on the sticky side...but then we were using a granite counter before...now that was slick!!

Never had an issue with our mats, but then again we use the minis. Hopefully yours will be better after it gets broken in a bit.

Would be interesting if one could come up with an inexpensive (and quiet) way to creat some sort of slight negative pressure airflow under the mats... just enough to hold the cards, and or minis bases down... but not so much as to make it difficult to move them as needed...

Ok so maybe that would be a bit extreme... but perhaps fun just to be able to say "I did it!"...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

are the mats porous enough to allow airflow through them? If so it would be a simple matter of making a pegboard type suface on a vacuum chamber sized to fit the game mats. The vacuum source could be as simple as a shop vac.

I wonder if it would be possible to make an air hockey table go in reverse?

I wish I had an Air Hockey table to try it out on...

...and would the WoW mats be porous enough to allow the air to pull through??

Curious minds want to know!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

The WoW mats are backed with rubber and about 3/16" thick, so I doubt any air could get through.

Edit: On actual inspection, it's more like 1/8". But still its rubber...
    Last edited by tuladin; 11-27-2010 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    The WoW mats are backed with rubber and about 3/16" thick, so I doubt any air could get through.

Sounds like its time to upsize the blower motor.... muwwahahahahah!

I am gonna start watching flea markets for an old airhocky table... just to find out...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

It won't work then. The rubber would not allow air flow. But you could make/paint your own surface with holes in it for vacuum. It would be more trouble than it's worth though. Kind of like playing WoW with the vacuum cleaner on next to you the whole time you played.

Talking

Sounds like its time to upsize the blower motor.... muwwahahahahah!

I am gonna start watching flea markets for an old airhocky table... just to find out...
    no need. it would be easier to make one out of a shop vac and a pegboard.
    Make a sealed box with the pegboard as the top. add a hole to attach the shop vac and voila instant vac table. I have done this kind of thing before. I have a couple of homemade vacuum formers. Same principal.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    no need. it would be easier to make one out of a shop vac and a pegboard.
    Make a sealed box with the pegboard as the top. add a hole to attach the shop vac and voila instant vac table. I have done this kind of thing before. I have a couple of homemade vacuum formers. Same principal.
    Hehehe sounds very kewl... but my guess is it is kinda loud?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Hehehe sounds very kewl... but my guess is it is kinda loud?
    Like a Le Rhone aircraft engine
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Like a Le Rhone aircraft engine
    Karl
    Yikes! I can just imagine it right now... "Ok guys, lets go ahead and set up for our first mission... Oh... Did everyone bring hearing protection?"
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Yep...the "official" mats are more like giant mousepads...Cowman's idea wouldn't work with them...but quite honestly, we haven't had any major slippage with them either. We have also used a green tablecloth and that worked pretty good as well. We use the minis, so can't speak for the cards...but the movement cards stay pretty much in place for us.

I wonder if it would be possible to make an air hockey table go in reverse?
    Yes it is. Several years ago I knew someone who did this to a home sized air hocky table to make a down draft table for his woodworking shop. He used it keep the ends of his full sized paper templates from rolling up while he was making assembly jigs for parts. Don't ask me how he did it I never asked him. I would imagine he simply reversed the polarity of the motor wires on the fan. It would work for the cards, but I fear we would need the giant arcade style tables for the minis NOT very portable.

Anyone for magnates?
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=wife
    This thead shows how a member created a 1/3 sized version of the game to take to the hospital so he and his wife could play while she was in labor!

Instead of having a baby and down sizing the cards, you could simply glue them to a strip of sheet magnate, or place a small round magnate under the stand plate for the minis. Then all you would need would be a thin sheet of metal for the board.

As for me the occasional bump and slide doesn't bother me much, I am just as likely to tell you that I will take the damage card if the range stick is 1/2 a millimeter off, and one or the other or both planes were bumped. I just want to play and these things are part an parcel to gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    Anyone for magnates?
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=wife
    This thead shows how a member created a 1/3 sized version of the game to take to the hospital so he and his wife could play while she was in labor!

Instead of having a baby and down sizing the cards, you could simply glue them to a strip of sheet magnate, or place a small round magnate under the stand plate for the minis. Then all you would need would be a thin sheet of metal for the board.

As for me the occasional bump and slide doesn't bother me much, I am just as likely to tell you that I will take the damage card if the range stick is 1/2 a millimeter off, and one or the other or both planes were bumped. I just want to play and these things are part an parcel to gaming
    I am with you on the last part... cards are going to move... it is just the reality of the game, and I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to those against whom I play!

I do wish I would just have this baby though... I have been 13 an 1/2 months pregnant for about 6 years now... this basketball just needs to come out!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I am with you on the last part... cards are going to move... it is just the reality of the game, and I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to those against whom I play!

I do wish I would just have this baby though... I have been 13 an 1/2 months pregnant for about 6 years now... this basketball just needs to come out!!!
    Yeah I too have the siloette of the nose of a barage balloon

Similar Missions

1. More gaming mats?
    By WilliamBarkerVC in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 19:48
  2. Mats or minis ?
    By oldskoolpurist in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 15:21
  3. Play mats
    By Volant Gun in forum WGF: General Discussions