Ares Games

Thread: Thoughts on the Big Bombers

Default Thoughts on the Big Bombers

Hi all!

An overwhelming attack of Life and Jury Duty has restricted my ability to write Letters Home in the Missions section for a few days (but don't worry, Wolfram and Co. will return soon!)

However! I did get a few games in with Dave Zee to try out the Big Bombers from Flight of the Giants. I tried a Handley Paige and a Gotha. Here were my thoughts:

1) In both games, I took crew hits early on that took out my rear gunners.

2) This was really, really bad.

3) Big Bombers are waaay faster than I thought.

4) Big Bombers are waaay harder to steer than I thought.

5) I always need to drop the bombs 1 phase sooner to actually hit the target.

6) I got shot down thoroughly both missions.

That said, I still find Big Bombers to be hellacool. And the rules were much easier to learn than I expected.

P.S. I think I want to try one of the bombers with Six Zillion Guns. Like the Zeppelin-Staaken.

I ordered a copy of Flight of the Giants last week. My FLGS should have it in by Friday. Can't wait to try it out... but first I am gonna have to find someone to join me for a game or two....

Do the "Gunner Killed" damage cards take out your gunners or is there a different mechanic for the big bombers? I ask this since the "Gunner Killed" card is rather scarce in the deck. Seems like there would not be enough to take out all of your bomber's gunners in a game...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Having now built some of the big bomber models I have concerns about using them in the game as with the HP 0/400 Long range is just beyond the wing tip from the MG positions.

This is a bigger problem if you use 'any part of the model' for the ability to fire, as it makes the fightersable to hit the bomber when they cannot be hit themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    Having now built some of the big bomber models I have concerns about using them in the game as with the HP 0/400 Long range is just beyond the wing tip from the MG positions.

This is a bigger problem if you use 'any part of the model' for the ability to fire, as it makes the fightersable to hit the bomber when they cannot be hit themselves.
    We have always played a rule that if you can hit a plane, and are in a legal fireing arc from them then they can hit you, if no other factors such as jammed guns or manouver rules apply. Extend this to the bombers and only the fighter needs to measure the range, either post to post or plane to plane, whatever rule you employ for your calculations. As long as both sides use the same rule, it must be fair.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    We have always played a rule that if you can hit a plane, and are in a legal fireing arc from them then they can hit you, if no other factors such as jammed guns or manouver rules apply. Extend this to the bombers and only the fighter needs to measure the range, either post to post or plane to plane, whatever rule you employ for your calculations. As long as both sides use the same rule, it must be fair.
    Rob.
    That sounds reasonable. I'll have to work on it and include it in my ruleset

Thanks Rob

Tony
    Last edited by tonyc206; 11-18-2010 at 03:21.

The big bombers ARE way cool. I did pretty well the first time I flew one, and actually hit the target dead center on my first bomb drop, which suprised the heck out of me. I really thought it would take a few tries to get it right.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Whenever I am shooting and playing with miniatures, we always measure, post to post for firing ranges.
    trumpetman52

Which is why we use "center-to-center" in all circumstances (handwave: The assumption is whoever's shooting is going for "center-of-mass" shots... :) ).

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I ordered a copy of Flight of the Giants last week. My FLGS should have it in by Friday. Can't wait to try it out... but first I am gonna have to find someone to join me for a game or two....

Do the "Gunner Killed" damage cards take out your gunners or is there a different mechanic for the big bombers? I ask this since the "Gunner Killed" card is rather scarce in the deck. Seems like there would not be enough to take out all of your bomber's gunners in a game...
    Depending on how many crew your big bomber has, you draw tokens determining 1) how many were hit and 2) which position was taken out.

In both cases, I got rear gunner...which, as I said, is very bad.

I think it's possible to even get 2-3 crew at a time...also very bad! The vulnerability of the crew seems to strongly offset the big bomber's high damage resistance and multiple guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbiter View Post
    Depending on how many crew your big bomber has, you draw tokens determining 1) how many were hit and 2) which position was taken out.

In both cases, I got rear gunner...which, as I said, is very bad.

I think it's possible to even get 2-3 crew at a time...also very bad! The vulnerability of the crew seems to strongly offset the big bomber's high damage resistance and multiple guns.
    Gotya.. thanks! Can't wait 'til my my big order is in at the FLGS! In fact I think I am gonna give them a call right now!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

We shoot from center post of firing plane to any part of target plane...so, yes, bigger planes might get hit more easily...just like in real life

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    We shoot from center post of firing plane to any part of target plane...so, yes, bigger planes might get hit more easily...just like in real life
    That's how we play and I think that's OK if you increase the damage points of the bomber. 30 seems pretty low for something so huge, but then I suppose they were just as fragile as the small fighters.

Also playing like this, it is entirely possible to destroy a bomber without the fighter even getting shot at.

Also playing like this, it is entirely possible to destroy a bomber without the fighter even getting shot at.
    That is why we employ the if you can hit me I can hit you system outlined in my earlier post. It evens up the annomaly.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I haven't played with them in a while, I need to get around to that.

Similar Missions

1. Caproni Ca 1 to Ca5 – Giant Bombers
    By Carlos Lopes in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 00:28
  2. Taking Down Bombers
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 13:27
  3. More WW1 Bombers
    By Bedlam in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16