Ares Games

Thread: Maneuver Deck "L"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Red face Maneuver Deck "L"

I was playing a game last week and I was flying a Fokker DVII against a Spad XIII. It took a while, with only two planes flying, however I was able to take him down.
    Now the question. On the "L" deck there are 24 maneuvers. Card number 15 of 24 is a straight maneuver that resembles a stall. However, there are no little black maneuver arrows on the card.
    Is this an oversight? Is this a straight card in which an immelman can be played? What is it?

Can anyone help

trumpetman52

It is not a steep maneuver, but it also is not a straight maneuver as far as doing an immelmann is concerned.

It represents the D.VII's ability to "hang on it's prop" - to pitch up into a 45 degree angle and use it's propeller for lift, moving forward very slowly. Other planes would go into a tailspin when they tried this, but the D.VII was better balanced due to a heavier wing.
    Last edited by tuladin; 11-18-2010 at 17:46.

We have been calling it a prop hang. It is not an straight or stall as it nearly stops forward movement but does not cause you to lose any altitude. It goes along with those little rudder kicks that this deck also has. Play with it a little bit, with the right combo of cards you can play series of hangs,stalls,and rudder kicks and go nowhere fast!!

this makes this plane very deadly in a close in fight, I have gotten off 4 shots in a row at a single plane with just the rudder kicks alone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    We have been calling it a prop hang. It is not an straight or stall as it nearly stops forward movement but does not cause you to lose any altitude. It goes along with those little rudder kicks that this deck also has. Play with it a little bit, with the right combo of cards you can play series of hangs,stalls,and rudder kicks and go nowhere fast!!

this makes this plane very deadly in a close in fight, I have gotten off 4 shots in a row at a single plane with just the rudder kicks alone!!
    That's why I love the D.VII. All those short maneuvers can be deadly in close combat. Add in the 90 degree turns and you've got one kick ass plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    That's why I love the D.VII. All those short maneuvers can be deadly in close combat. Add in the 90 degree turns and you've got one kick ass plane.
    Indeed! I took a few bits (just cards) on holiday at half term and got trounced by my son as we played on the pool table in the hotel bar as the rain drummed on the windows outside (October in Greece).
    Barker wounded, Elwood's kite shot into lace, Bishop blew up, Dallas chased off with an impressive repair bill, my Spads down on the far side of the lines - you just can't stay behind them!
    The candy-striped DVII of Kefalonia is one very definitely to look out for.

Yep...it's almost as if the plane is stationary...just popping off rounds if you get it in right.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Yeah, but in most cases my plane takes his down no matter it's "kick ass-ness"

@Hunter, Sounds like what I do to my dad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Yeah, but in most cases my plane takes his down no matter it's "kick ass-ness"
    Yeah, RIGHT!! So why does my Goering Fokker D.VII have 12 kills, the most of any plane between the two of us??!!

Gentlemen.Please. Observe the thread below. Escape with dignity.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Spitfire "A" deck manoeuvre question
    By DuncanBiscuits in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 08:34
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 08:46
  3. Ok, I'm bidding on a "USED" copy of Wings of War WWI: Famous Aces
    By Captain Knowitall in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 23:12
  4. "Climb" and "dive" cards?