Ares Games

Thread: BOOM Card and Bombers

Default BOOM Card and Bombers

I have a question about the alternate rule to subject a bomber to damage of half of its original hit point value instead of destroying the plane outright.

Should the bomber receive at least smoke damage (or even be set on fire) as part of the result?
    Or just accept the point value hit ?

Seems to me that a hit creating such devastating damage should do more than just point reduction.

In our games if we use that rule it is only where the boom card would end the game prematurely. We found that half hit points is a pretty steep penalty without adding extra damage. We only apply that rule to the bomber, but I think we did played one where 3 boom cards came up in quick succession. (only 1 for the bomber). That finished the game pretty early

Game 1 at Origins: Whilst flying a Caproni (courtesy of The Cowman) I was fired upon by my nemesis, Randy (That Black Sheep in wolves clothing), and took a boom card -50% damage. Not bad I thought, then Randy collided with me and I drew the 10 C damage and down I went.

Game 2 at PragueCon: Our games designer answered a question about the boom card, 'Oh we play 50% damage' nice idea we all said. He was then fired upon at close range and drew 2 boom cards.

The morale of the story 'You pays your money you take your chances whichever rule you follow, so long as its fun'
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ...Should the bomber receive at least smoke damage (or even be set on fire) as part of the result?
    Or just accept the point value hit ?...
    Depends how you look at the Boom card Pete - if it's as an actual explosion then smoke is not an unreasonable thought but if you look at it as just representing some form of critical damage where something's been shot through & broken somewhere in the airframe then the damage points are enough.
    I do add +1's where appropriate - in my last outing a HP O/400 picked up a Boom +1 so I gave it 16 damage.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

When a bomber takes the BOOM!, I have it take 15 points of damage (both WW1 and WW2).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc

The morale of the story 'You pays your money you take your chances whichever rule you follow, so long as its fun'
    Precisely. IN particular, when running Learn & Play games, as I often do, I take the boom cards out entirely. But involving bombers, I tend to feel the 50% penalty is enough.

I'm starting to use "50%" for ALL Boom cards, not just bombers - it helps keep scouts and two-seaters in the game just a little bit longer (until I shoot them again!)
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    When a bomber takes the BOOM!, I have it take 15 points of damage (both WW1 and WW2).
    Karl
    Interesting. Lil GR would not like this rule. He seems to blow me up every other game.

50% for all, or 15 pts for bombers (large bases) only. I could manage that. We hadn't played in a while, but we tried a game Sunday and it was a B17/P47 vs 2 Me190 & 2 Me109e. He won. He had dealt 48/50 damage, and then I drew the boom, so it wouldn't have mattered.

Similar Missions

1. The curse of Boom-Boom
    By Marechallannes in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 14:01
  2. AAR OTT: Scenario 3, Bait and Switch - And a Boom Card for You!
    By OldGuy59 in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 11:59
  3. Another take on Boom'N'Zoom
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 03:53
  4. Boom. KA-Boom. CRACK . . .
    By Mac in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 20:02
  5. Explosion (Boom-Boom) cards