Ares Games

Thread: B-24 Maisto conversion

Default B-24 Maisto conversion

These guys are back on the shelves here in the local toy stores! They have been noted before, but then the prices on ebay soared to $20+! They retail for $3.99 normally so keep your eyes out for them. They are approximately 1/210" scale so work great for us. With a few mods they look great on the table!

After a few months off with medical matters, my fingers are getting back into action, so this is coming at you in parts . . .

Landing gear and props need to go! Side cutters and hobby knife will do the job!

Now the wings need some attention, from the package some wing sagging is apparent, easily fixed with a bit of pressure applied to the wings whilst clamping the fuselage in a vise . . .

Upper bomber is corrected, lower one shows the droop

Now to apply some plastic filler to the gaps and some green struff to the canopy to improve the windscreen and details . . . gotta let the elves rest for a day . . .

I don't remember the B-24 being a taildragger (at least not intentionally).... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I don't remember the B-24 being a taildragger (at least not intentionally)....
    They did have a retractable skid for overload rotations . . . : )

Here the elves have applied adequate "Green Putty" to fill in the holes and unwanted cracks . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    They did have a retractable skid for overload rotations . . . : )
    Which is why I said "not intentionally". :)

There was also a problem with it tilting back in light-load config; there's a Bob Stevens cartoon of a B-24 "taildragger" whose pilot is shouting "OK, WHO FORGOT THE *&^%$#!ING AMMO CAN?". (An ammo can was used to "chock" the fuselage.)

Had a good day Saturday and got a few fine things done . . .

Just love a good formation . . .

Found a great silver spray paint and let it cure a few weeks . . .

Flashy few . . .

Which way to the enemy?

Now for some weathering . . .

Very nicely done, Mr Clipper, Sir!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Ohhh...I see you did "The Dragon and His Tail "; such a racy bit of artwork for a family game

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Tiny enough at this scale to get away with . . . . I was surfing for bright silver finished B-24's and found the trio here. Liked the tail stripes! Need to work up the bases . . . how different than the B-17?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Tiny enough at this scale to get away with . . . . I was surfing for bright silver finished B-24's and found the trio here. Liked the tail stripes! Need to work up the bases . . . how different than the B-17?
    Gun arcs are the issue; both D and J Liberators are in the unofficial plane files.
    Gunnery arcs are here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2138
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

You are my Huckleberry! You may be too important to the war effort to let you go overseas, hmmm, maybe I should go instead . . . : )

So, all the markings are for J model planes, but you have D models? 64th and 403rd squadron planes, in silver.

You know why I am jumping in to this discussion....
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Darn. Not one of these, then:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-24D_Lines.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	217782
    Mike

Noise turret is main visible difference from top view as I recall.

So, more like one of these?

Name:	B-24J_Lines_Props2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	217785
    Mike

The easy part is done:

Name:	B-24J_Lines_Props3Lt.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	217813

Now to pound out the cards. That might take a while...
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-01-2017 at 00:25.
    Mike

As always great job on those seeing how they a just really toys. You did them justice in my mind.

Picked up another pair of bombers, one came in British colors, recently reworked . . .

And with the full squadron . . .

Nice looking flight, there David.
    Karl

i used to have one of those B-24 when i was younger. i never really liked it for some reason, i guess it was the unpainted canopies (those always bug me!).

Excellent work, as always, David!

Name:	WGS-B24J-64BS43BG_Card.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	222418

This took too long. Sorry, Dave.

And a management card has to follow. 11 crew, but 8 effective for the card?

Crew: pilot, co-pilot, navigator, bombardier, radio operator, nose turret, dorsal turret, 2 waist gunners, ventral turret, tail gunner.
    Mike

Looks great Mike! Now worries on the delay, you have been a busy boy and what with all these martians running around with the elves I have been a busy guy! Thanks!!!

Not sure which RAF squadron Dave's plane is from, but the Mk VIs were the same armament, so:

Name:	WGS-B24J-No547SqnRAF_Card.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	222419
    Mike

Very nice! Thanks, the RAF is generic at the moment . . . still need to make some bases and these will help!

Name:	WGS-B24J-No547SqnRAF_MgmtCard.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	222449

Name:	WGS-B24J-64BS43BG_MgmtCard.jpg 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	222448
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-28-2017 at 22:52.
    Mike

My favorite would of course be a Regia Aeronautica one.

Name:	B24Italy.jpg 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	222457

Even better if in the sand camouflage with the girl crest on the nose.

Name:	32_1.jpg 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	222458

Thanks all, now I need to find another pair of B-24's!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    My favorite would of course be a Regia Aeronautica one.

Even better if in the sand camouflage with the girl crest on the nose.

Name:	32_1.jpg 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	222458
    Unfortunately, this is a B-24D, and requires a rework of the crews and firing arcs for the cards.

Name:	B-24D_RA_Capt.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	222459
    Mike

Very nice indeed! Just picked up another pair to convert, will do both of these next! Thanks!

Well, I am a supporter of any Regia Aeronautica plane but that's not so interesting for foreigners I fear. We just had one actually, that never saw action (while our P-38 has been quite successful instead).
    This B-24 was captured and brought to Rome to be studied (a friend of my father was in the crew that recovered it). Then Germans asked to have a look at it, so it was repainted olive drab and flown to Rechlin in Germany where our pilot Capitano Giovanni Raina demoed it. Then a German pilot asked to try it and - surprise - "forgot" to open the landing gear when he landed. So the damaged plane had to be left in Germany and our crew had to go back to Rome by train.

I wonder if Ollies' or Hobby Lobby has any of these?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I wonder if Ollies' or Hobby Lobby has any of these?
    Karl
    Most of mine I found at our local "Kroger/Fred Meyer/Fry's" grocery stores! The rest are off Evil Bay . . .

This should be correct to the D version with the lower firing nose gun, and the ventral gun tunnel.

Name:	WGS-B24D-RegAeroCaptured_MgmtCardV2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	222711

Name:	WGS-B24D-RegAeroCaptured_CardV2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	222712
    Mike

Okay then, if Andrea and Mike are finished finding cool colors schemes, the B-24 conversion elves can now move onto the Martin Mars project, oh no another Mars reference! Yikes!

Blonde Bomber II in tan and green!

Among friends . . .

Now I really need to make some bases . . .

These are great, really!
    I am finished Sir. Italy inly had one B-24, so two schemes are already far more than enough.

With a bit more of details... B-24D U.S.A.A.F. #41-23859 "Blonde Bomber II" from 98th bomb group, crash-landed on the southernmost point of Sicily on 20 February 1943.
    A friend of my father was in the experimental unit that tested prototypes and captured planes. When I was a kid during lunch he discovered I was an aviation enthusiast and we ended speaking about that plane - I could even show him full color plates of it on one of my favourite books.
    He was one of the technicians going to recover it at Capo Passero, reaching the place flying on a beautiful, carefully built Cant Z.1007 whose wooden fuselage was glued on a mould bit after bit, electric wires carefully concealed in the walls. A masterpiece.
    He told me that as soon a he entered the B-24 he understood that we would lose the war. Bare metal with wires hanging here and there. He touyght that in the time we finished a Cant Z.1007, many B-24s were built...

Italian insigna are painted on the original desert pink color and every damage is carefully repaired. The plane is extensively tested, then repainted olive drab. On June 19, 1943 Capitano Raina fly it to Munich and then Rechlin, since Germans asked to test it for a couple of weeks. A German pilot breaks landing gear (unintentionally or to keep the plane?) and the Italian crew has to go back ome by train leaving the plane there.

A great book on planes captured and re-used by Italians (including a P-38 that shot down a couple of B-17 over Rome) is Giancarlo Garello, Prede di guerra - War Prizes, La Bancarella Aeronautica.

Similar Missions

1. WSF Bf 109 E quick conversion?
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 10:07
  2. WGSF A simple Conversion.
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 02:27
  3. WGF Albatros DRI Conversion
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8