Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you remember and/or did you play Ace of Aces?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I played the game.

81 42.63%
  • I am familiar with the game but never played.

47 24.74%
  • Never heard of it.

62 32.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ace of Aces

Question Ace of Aces

In 1980 Nova Game Designs released a game called Ace of Aces. In my humble opinion this was one of the better games released in the 80's and 90's. I am curious as to how many members here actually remember the game and/or played it. I know it is responsible for my love of WWI era games. I know I will never part with my orignal Rotary Series set!

For those not familiar with the game a Wikipedia entry can be found here.
    Last edited by The Cowman; 01-12-2011 at 11:39. Reason: typo
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Sure I remember. Handy Rotary was the version I had. Fun game along with Wing Leader (The world war II version) There was also a western shoot-out version which was okay, but didn't play as well as the air games.

Never played it. Don't remember it.

These were a lot of fun..Had them all at one time.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

I not only remember the game I still have one of the games. It is fun to play getting the cockpit views of your flight. It is always scary when you see the enemy coming at you with his guns blazing.
    trumpetman52

Loved those games - still have Handy Rotary, Powerhouse, Wing Leader and the Star Wars versions.

Edit: Jet Eagles too.
    Last edited by tuladin; 11-17-2010 at 18:24.

Too old and drunk to remember anything. What was the question again?
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Kyte.
    ...ummmm...Where is the Ł 300 you owe me?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Never heard of it. Looks like a great game. Me and my brother would love it.

I had a game called The Last Starfighter. It was a 2 player game. Each player had 3 discs pinned together with lots of windows and numbers on the outer ring and pictures of your opponents ship on the inside ring. You also had a card to show damage to your ship. Now that was a fun game as well.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Never heard of it. Looks like a great game. Me and my brother would love it.

I had a game called The Last Starfighter. It was a 2 player game. Each player had 3 discs pinned together with lots of windows and numbers on the outer ring and pictures of your opponents ship on the inside ring. You also had a card to show damage to your ship. Now that was a fun game as well.

Tom
    Tom if you are a collector of games and you ever come across a copy, I would snag it up quick, were I you. Very hard to find these days.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Yes I remember! I owned the Handy Rotary books. I sure wished I kept it.

VG

Quote Originally Posted by Volant Gun View Post
    Yes I remember! I owned the Handy Rotary books. I sure wished I kept it.

VG
    We played them so much we wore them out. Literally.

Kyte.
    LOL!

Nevermind the question, who's buying the next round.

We played them so much we wore them out. Literally.
    I'm confused... in your prior post you said you had never heard of the game...

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    LOL!

Nevermind the question, who's buying the next round.
    I'm the relatively new guy here... so I guess it should be me... and since I like you guys, I have no problem getting the next round! Just say when and where and help make sure I have a ride!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 11-17-2010 at 21:41. Reason: addition to post.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I remember them and still have Handy Rotary on my shelf. i was going through some boxes in the shed last week and came across Wing Leader as well!

Yep, had these as well. Excellent entertainment value after a couple of pints.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

Actually, I never heard about it.

I looked for it this morning.

It was a very good idea.

I will loof for it on ebay, or is it still on market?

G.

Ken I was talking about those rotary disc games I had not Ace of Aces.

Quote Originally Posted by g.paoletti View Post
    Actually, I never heard about it.

I looked for it this morning.

It was a very good idea.

I will loof for it on ebay, or is it still on market?

G.
    It is no longer in print. eBay has a few copies each of the different book series, but they are typically priced at $150 or more "buy it now"! If you can find a standard auction with a low starting bid and catch the bidders off guard you might be able to get a used set for a lower price.

Ken I was talking about those rotary disc games I had not Ace of Aces.
    Ah... my bad! I would not mind finding a set of those sometime either!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    It is no longer in print. eBay has a few copies each of the different book series, but they are typically priced at $150 or more "buy it now"! If you can find a standard auction with a low starting bid and catch the bidders off guard you might be able to get a used set for a lower price.
    Ach so!

Many thanks.

G.

I've got Handy Rotary and Wing Leader, but I learned on my friend's copy of Flying Machines that he got for Christmas when I was 17.

Smile

One of my favorite games of all time. We used to sit in choir practice and play when our section wasn't rehearsing. Very easy to play almost anywhere. I still have, and play, handy rotary series, powerhouse series, and flying machines. Handy Rotary is the most fun in my opinion because the speed of the planes is just right. And how can you not love the rotary turn?

Sadly, I never heard of it (even though it was right in the time of my teen years). I would like to play it sometime, though. Sounds like a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by rrodrick View Post
    One of my favorite games of all time. We used to sit in choir practice and play when our section wasn't rehearsing. Very easy to play almost anywhere. I still have, and play, handy rotary series, powerhouse series, and flying machines. Handy Rotary is the most fun in my opinion because the speed of the planes is just right. And how can you not love the rotary turn?
    I don't remember ever playing it in choir back in the 80's ( The Director would have killed us.) But many a 4 or 6 player game was played after school on Wednesdays during Chess and Strategy Club. I went back and visited my High School recently and spoke to the teacher who was our advisor... he told me they had not had a chess club in years... It just seemed wrong somehow...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

sucklingpig

Oh yeah! Handy Rotary provided hours of enjoyment. I loved the campaign mode.

Thumbs up Ace of Aces

Yeah!! I loved that game. Still have "Handy Rotary Series", "Flying Machines", "Powerhouse Series" and "Balloon Buster". (Don't have the deluxe ed.) I still like playing with these...thery're great for taking on road trips, vacations, etc.

These are a collector's item now. They were published in the mid-80's I believe.

I still play it! Best traveling game there is... sit at the table and play. Flip the pages...

I am very happy that I am not the only one here who remembers the game! Makes me feel like I joined the right community!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default the game

would like to play it!!!

I always wanted to get it but never did. Thank Goodness for WOW! Joe

the game I recall playing was Aces High, where you had a cardboard plane token, and you had to write down all your moves, which were revealed after all had scribed.

Lucky.

Default Yes

My oldest son and I still play them on family trips even today. There is also a World War II and jet version. There was even a Star Wars Xwing and tie fighters version. I have them including the anniversary edition. Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf; 12-22-2010 at 17:56.

Was that a FASA game? I recall seeing it, but never owned a copy.

As for Ace of Aces, we played boatloads of it back in high school. I had both the Handy Rotary and the Powerhouse series. In fact, I pulled out the Handy Rotary book as a "show and tell" during out first WoW game.

Another great game from the Nova Games flip-book series was Lost Worlds, a fantasy combat game using mechanics similar to AoA. It remains possibly the best man-to-man combat game ever made. Flying Buffalo owns the rights to Lost Worlds these day, and there's a Japanese company that does some rather risque woman-to-woman fighting books using the system.

Brilliant design. I have three books (Power, Rotary, and Early War).

R

I have Rotory and Power (I think; their buried in the library). You know, this would make a really good PBEM game; just scan the pages, and the moderator sends to you what you see. I remembering running up to 8 players in colledge (you know, when we were supposed to be studying).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I have Rotory and Power (I think; their buried in the library). You know, this would make a really good PBEM game; just scan the pages, and the moderator sends to you what you see. I remembering running up to 8 players in colledge (you know, when we were supposed to be studying).
    Karl
    Hey if you can find them bring them Sat. I would like to see them.

Boy does this thread overlap the poll about older players....

I used to play an old Avalon Hill game.. Richtofen's War. all WWI aerial combat.. one of the reasons I love WoW so much..

Can't say I've heard of Ace of Aces, but I do have a copy of Dawn Patrol, used colored 1" chits, most of the major planes in WWI. Has really nice stat cards on the planes with appropriate speeds, engines, alttitude. Never played it, still unpunched.

I might bring my Ace of Aces games to Origins...eat your hearts out!

collected all versions of it ecpect Balonsbuster even the WW2 Version of it and the Modern Day Version. Its the best Single Aircombat simulator with out Computer ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    I'll play ya Jim. You just have to teach me the game.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jhary View Post
    collected all versions of it ecpect Balonsbuster even the WW2 Version of it and the Modern Day Version. Its the best Single Aircombat simulator with out Computer ever.
    Is there a link so I can see these games?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Right now I only have one of my two Rotary Series books, my buddy in Jacksonville has the other so we can play by Skype.

Tom
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...-series#images
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Tom
    Here's the boardgamegeek page for Ace of Aces Handy Rotary (same as Ken's link) that has links to all of the other versions. If you'te going to the Game Room Monday, I'll bring my copy of Wingleader.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Here's the boardgamegeek page for Ace of Aces Handy Rotary (same as Ken's link) that has links to all of the other versions. If you'te going to the Game Room Monday, I'll bring my copy of Wingleader.
    Good. I'm letting my girl drive up to Toledo to get some practice in the big city. Hope I make it there... What time are you going to be there?

Tom

I'm scheduled to be there from 4:00 PM to close (8:00 PM) but I live only 3.2 miles from the place, so if you're going earlier, I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    I'm scheduled to be there from 4:00 PM to close (8:00 PM) but I live only 3.2 miles from the place, so if you're going earlier, I'll be there.
    I'll call when we're leaving it might be around 10am.

Kyte.
    Was there a question?

Yep I remeber the game , it was fun and played well, unfortunatly lost all my copies some years ago. A nice trip down memory lane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Aussie Aces
    By Skippy in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 14:42
  2. Aussie Aces
    By Skippy in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:49
  3. Aces High
    By gregbond77 in forum Officer's Club