Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways

Default Shapeways

I am sure this has been asked before but are the Shapeways models on par with the Ares miniatures?
    I am thinking of filling in some of the series 1 planes and even trying some aircraft painting.
    Which material is best?
    Also I notice there is more than one manufacturer. Anyone better or to be avoided?
    Thanks
    Lance

I am totally happy with Shapeways. I find every designer's works come out fine. Once in a while the quality may be off but Shapeways will replace any defective work. Sometimes the surface is more grainy than others but I still fine they paint up nicely if preppped enough.

Check out the painting showcase and you will see numerous examples of Shapeways there.

Here are 4 of my Shapeways paintings.
    Name:  shapeways1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  shapeways2.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  shapeways3.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  shapeways4.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  107.7 KB

I prefer WSF as it is impervious to damage other than stepping on them! (don't ask) They take a drop better than Nexus/Ares planes. FUD has great detail but at a price and they are a bit brittle. WSF needs a few coats to fill in the surface porosity. There are many ways of doing this and you can find a few threads about it. I spray a couple of coats of Krylon clear, then a final coat of flat black primer.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-16-2017 at 08:11.

Those look great: both the model and the paint job! Thanks.
    Now I have to think bout extra maneuver decks.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    Those look great: both the model and the paint job! Thanks.
    Now I have to think bout extra maneuver decks.
    If you don't mind making your own decks I have scanned all the decks and can email you what you need.

Shapeways has come along since that post. I have not seen many come grainy in WFS like you had. None that grainy anyway.

I've not tried them in years, so that's good to know. I might have to order a plane or two to see how they look these days.

I was scared off by the horror stories told to me about Shapeways when I first joined up, 3.5 years ago.

When I finally ordered some, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

Yes, WSF is grainy, but proper preparation can overcome this.

Name:  DSCF0113.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  112.1 KBName:  DSCF0114.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  135.1 KB

This Albatros D.I had no sanding at all, just coating with Klear floor polish

Name:  DSCF0116.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  119.3 KBName:  DSCF0117.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  135.6 KB

Needs a pilot! (in progress!)

Name:  DSCF0118.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  137.0 KBName:  DSCF0119.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  146.7 KB

This Pfalz D.XII didn't receive any sanding either.

Name:  DSCF0120.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  122.0 KBName:  DSCF0121.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  140.6 KB

I'm pretty happy with the both of them.
    Bear in mind that these photos are GREATLY enlarged above actual size.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

If those are recent prints, they look just as bad as they did back in the day (at least to me). I've just never found that they are worth all the prep work, price and the need to find/pint decks and such. I've also never thought the finish even after prep work was smooth enough. But that's a personal thing I know.

I admire your work. You must have a very steady hand

I am just painting the first 3 I purchased. 2 Se5a's and one DH2. Simple paint jobs nothing like yours but I am pleased with them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Yes, WSF is grainy, but proper preparation can overcome this.

This Albatros D.I had no sanding at all, just coating with Klear floor polish
    Can you share some additional detail? How many coats of Klear floor polish? Did you apply with brush or spray?

I have a few Shapeways minis that I've not gotten up the courage to try and paint yet. I think your Albatros looks great - very nice job finishing it. It's not the same as an Ares model but it's quite nice and you should be pleased with it

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    If those are recent prints, they look just as bad as they did back in the day (at least to me). I've just never found that they are worth all the prep work, price and the need to find/pint decks and such. I've also never thought the finish even after prep work was smooth enough. But that's a personal thing I know.
    It's "horses for courses" for sure.

I should have said, the Pfalz is about a year old; the Albatros is brand new. There is a significant difference to the 'feel' between the two models, even if it doesn't show well in the pictures.

Personally, I don't find the Shapeways prep any different from all the gap-filling and tail re-alignement needed on many of the Ares models, and anyway there is no chance whatsoever of getting an Ares Albatros D.I!!!! Ever!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    Can you share some additional detail? How many coats of Klear floor polish? Did you apply with brush or spray?

I have a few Shapeways minis that I've not gotten up the courage to try and paint yet. I think your Albatros looks great - very nice job finishing it. It's not the same as an Ares model but it's quite nice and you should be pleased with it
    Three coats of Klear sealed the pores, applied with a brush. The first made little impression, the second 'darkened' the white colouring a bit. The third resulted in excess polish dripping off the model onto the worktop.
    The surface was not completely smooth at this point, but two/three coats of paint left it very smooth to the touch.
    I always add a layer of gloss varnish to the entire model - it forms a hard protective coating, which also provides a glassy-smooth surface upon which to place decals. Microset and Microsol next!
    Gloss varnish over the decals, to protect them, then a couple of layers of matt varnish to dull down the surface (I used Satin varnish on the Albatros fuselage, to leave a hint of the shiny varnished appearance typical of Albatros aircraft).

The Alby is indeed not the same as an Ares model - in many ways it is better! No gaps to fill, no mis-aligned tail to straighten up, and THIN STRUTS!
    It also weighs a lot less than an Ares mini, so "performs" much better on the Gimbal mount.

Where Ares score highest is in the manoeuvre deck and the plane card. I have bought a number of Albatros D.IIs for the 'V' decks I need (since the Ares model is a "late-style" D.II, and not suitable for carrying the decals produced by Cal Faber) but sorting out cards is a problem; I now have nearly 100 repaints without plane cards!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If you don't mind making your own decks I have scanned all the decks and can email you what you need.
    No I don't mind at all. I have done that for other games I own. Thanks!!!

Exclamation

I have painted many Shapeways WSF models & have only ever washed & cleaned them (leave to dry fo at least one day!)
    One coat of Tile & floor sealer & then paint with GW &/or Vallejo water based paints, add decals & seal with matt varnish.
    I find they come out just fine for gaming. Samples follow. These are but a few of my Shapeways models.

Name:  <acronym title=WGF BE2c's 1.JPG Views: 105 Size: 148.2 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  <acronym title=WSF Albatross D.II A.jpg Views: 107 Size: 123.1 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  <acronym title=WSF Aviatik C.II 2.jpg Views: 108 Size: 118.8 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WSF Eindeker E.III A.jpg Views: 106 Size: 139.8 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WSF DH-2.jpg Views: 0 Size: 108.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WSF Gunbus Top.JPG Views: 106 Size: 227.6 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WSF Sopwith Strutter.jpg Views: 106 Size: 349.8 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WGS Cat PBY 3.jpg Views: 106 Size: 230.5 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WGF HP 0 400.jpg Views: 106 Size: 171.4 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Similar Missions

1. Who or What are Shapeways?
    By Harry Tate in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 00:48
  2. SHAPEWAYS DH 2
    By COLBATMAN in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 05:40
  3. Shapeways FB 5
    By Boney10 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 03:57
  4. Shapeways DH2
    By macka321 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 05:09
  5. Shapeways Pup - have we seen this before?
    By Guntruck in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 17:34