Ares Games

Thread: Land Units

Default Land Units

Hey All,

I like this game.

I am interested in making my play experience more rewarding by creating a game board that's more authentic. I have already got some ideas for trenches, terrain, etc.

Right now I am stuck on two things, and looking for advice.

1. I want to add some tanks to my play board. It seems like either 10mm (best) or 15mm models are appropriate for the 1:144 WoW scale. I've seen some minis online, but they all seem to come from UK sources. Does anyone know of a good north american (preferably Canadian, but U.S. works too) source for MkIV, MkV and A7V tanks? I know CoolStuffInc is the site sponsor, but I looked through their pages and did not see any WW1 tank minis, so I don't think posting good sources here would violate the Colonel's sponsorship agreement and it should be all clear to post sources.

2. Trains: I'd like to get some N scale armored train cars and railgun cars to use in missions. Again, I am having trouble coming up with sources. Again, I can't find anything on CoolStuffInc, so you should be able to post here without problems.

Do you have stuff? Where'd you source it?

Thanks,
    Scott

Several very good UK sources, but in the US: Minifigs do a small range of N-gauge WW1 vehicles and infantry. An alternative would be to use 1/300 Heroics and Ros, who do tanks, guns and infantry (plus WW2 armoured trains which might do at a pinch). Well, things do look smaller from the air

PM'd you the links, just to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by IRM; 11-16-2010 at 17:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Hey All,

I like this game.

I am interested in making my play experience more rewarding by creating a game board that's more authentic. I have already got some ideas for trenches, terrain, etc.

Right now I am stuck on two things, and looking for advice.

1. I want to add some tanks to my play board. It seems like either 10mm (best) or 15mm models are appropriate for the 1:144 WoW scale. I've seen some minis online, but they all seem to come from UK sources. Does anyone know of a good north american (preferably Canadian, but U.S. works too) source for MkIV, MkV and A7V tanks? I know CoolStuffInc is the site sponsor, but I looked through their pages and did not see any WW1 tank minis, so I don't think posting good sources here would violate the Colonel's sponsorship agreement and it should be all clear to post sources.

2. Trains: I'd like to get some N scale armored train cars and railgun cars to use in missions. Again, I am having trouble coming up with sources. Again, I can't find anything on CoolStuffInc, so you should be able to post here without problems.

Do you have stuff? Where'd you source it?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Note exactly in scale, but Axis and Allies the miniatures game has a vast and extensive assortment of vehicles and equipment you could use. We used some of the Artillery to proxy AA guns in WWI games a while back.

They're cheap, easy to find, and not horribly out of scale. Plus, if you want WW2 equipment, you can basically get any vehicle going and be closer in scale.
    Last edited by Maniac; 11-17-2010 at 05:53.

Scott,
    I think the minifig N scale would be the way to go. Better variety at a lower cost. In 1/144 Skytrex makes some AAA trucks which are nice. I have some but as yet haven't started on them. Also available from a overseas company Panzer Depot are some 1/144 tanks they look good but are IMHO are expensive. I got these micro machine Renault tanks on ebay at around $3.00 to $4.00 ea. They paint up ok.
    Tony

Scott,

I played in an event run by crhkrebs at Origins last Summer. He had some really sweet terrain. (You can check it out in one of my photo albums.) I am trying to contact Ralph to find out his source. I will see if he can give me any other sources for the types of things you are looking for as well! ( I would not mind finding a few tanks myself!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Similar Missions

1. German/Central Powers units in the Middle East
    By NeilCFord in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 08:56