Ares Games

Thread: WW I: Fokker Repaints

Default WW I: Fokker Repaints

I am in the process of doing some personal repaints of a Fokker Dr. 1 (from Dom) and a D VII (Dom's last).

The pair:

Dr. 1

D VII

I haven't painted models in over 30 years and would appreciate any tips on how to improve my work as I look to do more repaints.

I used the same Humbrol matt white #34 as a base coat on the Dr. 1. I then went over it with a Humbrol matt black #33. I kept the original decals and worked around them. I was fairly satisfied (being my first repaint) with the Dr. 1 overall -except for the wheels - and decided to move on to the D VII.

Initially I wanted to do it in white as I cannot afford the seventy odd dollars for an eBay Goering D VII. The white just didn't look good so I switched to the black I had used for on the Dr. 1.

I think the finish is too glossy, especially on the D VII. I am also uncertain about the end result from a colour scheme point of view.

I have see so many great repaints here I was inspired. I am hoping the talent out there can make some suggestions on what to do next:

Keeping in mind my limited talent and the bit of a botched job I have on the D VII, are there any suggestions as to what I can do to improve this repaint?

I am awaiting some German decals out of England to finish the job and would like to improve the plane before I put them on.

Thoughts?

I have a full set of Series 1 Dr.1's coming to me as well as another Schafer D VII that I intend to repaint.

I think they look pretty good myself. As far as the glossyness you can can use a clear matte over the glossy finish to tone it down. light coats so it doesn't look cloudy.

First things first, there's no need to pay silly prices for WoW models, they'll all be re-released in time.

Nothing to say about the paint designs (two things I should never be allowed to do: sing or design anything ), but I'd also suggest matt varnishing them once you're happy with them. Many modellers swear by Testor's Dullcoat, I like Humbrol matt varnish myself (the enamel spray variety, the acrylic one sometimes blisters or clouds). If you do decide on varnishing them, you should first paint over any decals with a gloss varnish to protect the surface.

Thanks for your suggestions on the matt gloss. I will look at my LHS to find some.

First things first, there's no need to pay silly prices for WoW models, they'll all be re-released in time.
    I agree, I laughed at the prices paid recently on eBay for a Goering D VII ($62 + $14 shipping - and a Udet ($150 + $14 shipping)

As the Fokkers are not available in N.A. I checked out overseas prices and found them to be reasonable: $40 for the Dr. 1 and another D VII (including shipping) The supplier I used out of France for the set of Dr 1.'s (his last MvR) and the D VII (last one too) were also reasonable at $12 each and $15 shipping for the lot.

There are still Dr.1's out there if you are willing to order from overseas. As to when they will re-release any series, I'll believe it when I see it - Nexis can barely get the new stuff out! (albeit for a variety of reasons).

For N.A. mail-order, I think CoolStuffInc.com has great shipping prices and very fair costs overall. I have already preordered V2 of the WWI Deluxe set. Regretfully I cannot find a LHS that will carry WoW - I have already approached two who have refused - even a custom order.

Hi Paul - to prevent a glossy appearing finish when using Humbrol Matts you need to give them a really good stir with an old paintbrush or something. I would recommend their acrylic range too as they cover surprisingly well. As the guys have said, it's probably best to matt varnish the planes now to get your desired finish. Humbrol do that as an acrylic brush on too (49) & I've found that to be pretty good. Can I suggest Matt 78 for the edges of the D.VII wings & round the bases of the struts rather than white just to blend them in?

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by pkay View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions on the matt gloss. I will look at my LHS to find some.

I agree, I laughed at the prices paid recently on eBay for a Goering D VII ($62 + $14 shipping - and a Udet ($150 + $14 shipping)
    I almost bid on the Udet... insanity!!!

Your repaints look good! Keep painting and we will fill the gaming skies with colorful birds of prey!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I like your designs and that's good work when you haven't painted for so long.

My only comment is about the D.VII wing edges. They could do with a little more touch up to get rid of the red and that will look miles better again. Then as thye other guys suggest spray them with a matt varnish.

If you want the best decals for those planes then contact Dom at Doms Decals. Specifically the Jasta 15 ones for the D.VII.

If you wanted to do the D.VII wing edges to match the lozenge camo (it really is not as difficult as it sounds and well worth the effort) then I used the following Vallejo colours:

121 Yellow Ochre
    062 Azure
    076 Green Sky
    097 German Camo Dark Green
    085 & 157 - 1:1 mix of Dark Blue Grey and German Uniform.

Paint the entire wing edges in Yellow Ochre first then just add blobs of each other colour in the appropriate places and hey presto it's finished and looks very cool.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

My Personal two cents on the matt Varnish. I am a huge fan of the army painter line.

When I do repaints I do a dip in the soft shade, that really brings out the detail, seeps into all the cracks. Really have to be careful with pooling though since there is no base to collect all the drips.

Then do the Decals and the Army Painter Anti-Shine varnish cleans it up really nice. You have to do the varnish after the decals because the decals have their own shine to them.

Quote Originally Posted by pkay View Post

For N.A. mail-order, I think CoolStuffInc.com has great shipping prices and very fair costs overall. I have already preordered V2 of the WWI Deluxe set. Regretfully I cannot find a LHS that will carry WoW - I have already approached two who have refused - even a custom order.
    I can't believe that an LHS wouldn't do a custom order!? I guess I'm lucky...mine orders just about anything I ask them to get...Nexus will re-issue these if you are patient.

Similar Missions

1. Some repaints
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 08:35
  2. Repaints
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 02:33
  3. Series 4 Repaints
    By Belis4rius in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 26