Thread: Wings of War World War I Tournament Dayton, Ohio Krystal Keep

Default Wings of War World War I Tournament Dayton, Ohio Krystal Keep

Wednesday Dec. 15th, 2010
    Arrive at the airfield from 6 to 6:20PM
    Airplanes fly from 6:30 to 8:45 PM!
    Only at The Krystal Keep Games and Hobbies in Dayton, Ohio

Dayton, OH 45429-4607
    (937) 299-2809

Bring your favorite World War I Wings of War airplane and try to win some great prizes!

This first official Krystal Keep Tournament is free and open to the public!

Best wishes for a successful tournament.

Hope you all have a great time and grab some nice prizes.

Good luck with the tourney! Would love to come but work takes precedent

I would absolutely love to participate... but due to my disabilities I am not able to drive.

If there is anyone in Columbus that is going and would not mind going a little out of their way to give me a ride, I would be willing to pay for the gas. Drop me a PM if you are up to it!

Either way I hope you have a great Tournament!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Dog gone it. If you have one on a Saturday let me know. I'm sure we all want to see photos.

Tom

If it wasn't a 9 hour drive I'd be there in a heartbeat!!

Good luck with the tourny and be sure to post results when its over.

Scott

This is surprising news. I will have to rearrange my schedule so my errands get done on tuesday that week.

Bob

Rick what are the details on the tournament? Any optional rules in play? Any limits on the type of aircraft allowed? Will this be a one on one matched play tournament or a giant furball? Will you have any minis available for someone who wishes to participate and does not have one?

Curious minds want to know...

(I'm finding a ride dangit... even if I have to take the bus!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

If we were going to be in town visiting my folks, I'd be inclined to come. (I grew up down the street.) But, I'm too far away.

I always enjoy stopping by with my boys to see what's there when we come to town. (We don't have any local stores that sell WoW.)

If I remember correctly, when they play, they use a pretty large table.

Would like to know the format... round robin? Single elimination?

O.K. Rick I'm going to try and make it. I'll be tired for work the next day but oh-well. I will know for sure as the date gets closer.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    O.K. Rick I'm going to try and make it. I'll be tired for work the next day but oh-well. I will know for sure as the date gets closer.
    Wooohooooo! I might get to meet CappyTom! But I think Rick may have gone on vacation... he does not seem to be answering us...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Wooohooooo! I might get to meet CappyTom! But I think Rick may have gone on vacation... he does not seem to be answering us...
    Ken it would be great to meet ya.

Ken it would be great to meet ya.
    Thanks! We will have to see about getting a few more of our Ohio pilots to make it out!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

You GO! Ohio!

Don't forget to get some pics and post them...please.

Welcome to the site Rick! I wish I lived in Ohio...

Good to hear from all of you! I know Rick's had a busy weekend, so I might be of some assistance. If we play our typical rules, it would be the basic rules, w/o altitude. Our usual meetings are 6-8 planes, big furballs. The only thing we do differently from the rules is we accelerate fire damage to 1 A card every phase for 3 phases rather than 3 turns.

I believe the tourney plan would be 2 rounds, first round Entente vs. German followed by a second round free for all. Rick would be able to clarify better than I for details, but I'm sure he'll be posting here.

And believe me folks, pics will not be a problem lol. We're a camera happy bunch usually.

Quote Originally Posted by mtyree1972 View Post
    Good to hear from all of you! I know Rick's had a busy weekend, so I might be of some assistance. If we play our typical rules, it would be the basic rules, w/o altitude. Our usual meetings are 6-8 planes, big furballs. The only thing we do differently from the rules is we accelerate fire damage to 1 A card every phase for 3 phases rather than 3 turns.

I believe the tourney plan would be 2 rounds, first round Entente vs. German followed by a second round free for all. Rick would be able to clarify better than I for details, but I'm sure he'll be posting here.

And believe me folks, pics will not be a problem lol. We're a camera happy bunch usually.
    Thanks for the answers Michael! Still working on my ride... but I have hope!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default would love to

i would love to come to this?how much room do you have?

afaik, there's no limit on room. Sounds like we've quite a crowd building. When we last did something like this, I believe we had something like 10 participating. Our regular night is Wednesday, so I'll ask Rick tonight how the tourney's shaping up.

Which reminds me, the Wednesday thing is pretty much an every week for pick up games, if any of you might wish to drop by. Just sayin

Is there going to be a date limit on the aircraft or just bring the best plane you got? I think it would be quite a feat to win with a Nieuport against Fokker DVII or even those dreaded two seaters. Just need to know.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mtyree1972 View Post
    afaik, there's no limit on room. Sounds like we've quite a crowd building. When we last did something like this, I believe we had something like 10 participating. Our regular night is Wednesday, so I'll ask Rick tonight how the tourney's shaping up.

Which reminds me, the Wednesday thing is pretty much an every week for pick up games, if any of you might wish to drop by. Just sayin

Well, I'm not sure of all the details at this moment. I think it's a pretty good bet that no 2-seaters will be allowed, but we don't usually limit by date. Again, this will be a bit more structured than our usual dust-ups, so I'm not sure what the restrictions might be. I'm sure it will be a topic of discussion tonight.

But I would give you a hearty 'Good Job' if you did manage to pull off a victory with the Nieuport in a swarm of DVIIs

Dog gone it. If you have one on a Saturday let me know. I'm sure we all want to see photos.

Tom
    Yep...I'm limited to a Sat or Sun....maybe next time??

Shoot Jim I was looking forward to meeting you. I had to use some vacation time to pull this off.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Yep...I'm limited to a Sat or Sun....maybe next time??

Tom,

December is always bad for me...the Lt. Col., she who must be obeyed...has me booked @ weekend through early January...we'll meet up eventually. I may have to go to Toledo for work for a day or so. Maybe grab a cold one at Tony Packos near the ballpark? Once I know my schedule better I can let you know when I'll be up that way...probably not until March (it's the weather).

Sounds good. Now this spring I'll be down in Cincinnati at Spring Gathering. Here's the link: http://www.headlesshorseman2.com/id11.html
    Maybe we can get some aerial combat in then too.

Trust me I know all too well about Lt. Col.'s.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Tom,

December is always bad for me...the Lt. Col., she who must be obeyed...has me booked @ weekend through early January...we'll meet up eventually. I may have to go to Toledo for work for a day or so. Maybe grab a cold one at Tony Packos near the ballpark? Once I know my schedule better I can let you know when I'll be up that way...probably not until March (it's the weather).

My good buddy Jim and I now have plans to visit the Air Force Museum during the morning and afternoon, followed by dinner and then the tournament. Now I just have to work on getting a few more of the Columbus pilots to meet us all there!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken,

Hope you shoot 'em all down ...and of course, we're all waiting for more of your fabulous pics!

OK, back from tonight's match. Here is how it's looking:
    It will be a 2 round tourney. In the first round, it will be Entente vs. German. The top half of the field will advance to the second round, our Russian civil war free-for-all The top score in the second round will be our overall winner, and depending on the prizes provied, we MAY have a 2nd & 3rd place winners.

We will use the basic rules, with the following modifications:
    We are not using altitude rules, or related collision rules. We do use the special damage rules, and only treat the airman wounded result only for observers, not pilots. Explosions, engine damage, smoke, weapon jams and rudder jams are as stated in the rules. We accelerate fire damage to occur each phase for 3 phases rather than once per turn for 3 turns. We will not be using tailing or aiming rules.
    We will keep score based on kills, 1 point scored for each kill and 1 point subtracted if you are shot down. You do not lose points for exiting the board, but you may not re-enter. Ties will be resolved in the following order:
    1) head to head, ie if players A & B tie and A shot down B, A wins the tie.
    2) total kills, ie player A has 2 kills and was shot down (1pt) while player B has 1 kill and exited the board (1pt), so player A wins the tie.
    3) both players roll a die, highest result wins.
    Some further specifics for the tourney: We will not be using two-seaters. There is no restriction on aircraft by date, you may use any single-seater you wish. A number of us will be bringing our collections, so a plane could be provided for use if necessary. We might suggest having one for each side available for the first round. You may fly any single-seater in the second round, it does not have to be the same plane used in round one.

*whew* OK, I'm sure I've missed something, but my eyes are tired. Please look it over, sound off with any questions.

Very good, thanks for the info. So how did you do 2night?

3 sorties, 1 kill, and I lived. A good day for the Brits, we got to enjoy a well deserved rest back at the field

Default updates

Sorry for the delay in posting guys. Had a very long week at work and was brain dead afterwords - wait, braindead is my usual state - never mind.

At any rate, Mike and I defined the issues about the tourney and he posted what we came up with. Thanks Mike.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and hope to see some of you at the game in December!

Hey Rick... I don't see it up here anymore, so it must have been accidentally deleted or something like that... but don't forget that Michael said there would be free Pizza and Milk Shakes for everyone who participates in the tournament!

Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default Tell them about it on the United States page.

Hi Rick. I was thinking you should post this here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/group.php?groupid=5
    Talk at ya later.

Tom

PRIZE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE DEC 15th TOURNEY! The director of the amazing 4 hour documentary "The Great War in the Air" has autographed a DVD of his film and donated it to us to give away plus Krystal Keep is donating a gift card and yes, they have tons of World War 1 and 2 Wings of War goodies! The Aerodrome is also donating several prizes!

Those sound great. But I think the best prize is getting in some WoW and making new friends. Look forward to doing both this Wednesday.

Tom

Off to the National Museum of the Air Force!!! Cya at the Tourney tonight!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Good to see everyone yesterday, it was a fun time! Bit busy at the moment with the weather but should have pics and details to follow soon.

Michael,
    I and my buddy Jim had an absolute blast, especially seeing Jim had never played before... It was the perfect end to a perfect day! We then drove the 1 and 1/12 hours home, where I collapsed and slept like a hibernating Grizzly bear for 16 hours straight! I wanted to thank Rick and you for putting on a good tourney, all of the sponsors for the great prizes, and the Krystal keep for being such an outstanding host!

I have put up an album with a few pictures from the action during the tourney... most are of the first Round, as the second Round got a little intense for me and I forgot to take pictures toward the end!

Congrats to Rick for being the top dog of the night!

My pictures can be found in an album here. Here is my favorite to wet your whistle:

Hope to do it again soon!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Very good pics. I can see why you had such a good time.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like you all had a blast. Thanks for the photos Ken.

Tom

Very nice guys, looks like it was a fun time! Very nice looking plane Cowman.

Great pictures Ken, glad you all had a good time.

Cheers Aled

Great pic Ken! It was sooo cool meeting everyone that night at the Krystal Keep. I'm sorry that my voice decided not to come that evening. Had a blast and we gave out some great prizes to the fantastic players. I must say I was surprised to win the big gift card prize - I thought I'd go down in flames pretty quick. That cold medicine must have kept me flying! I'll post pics this weekend! Once again, a big thanks to all involved - maybe we can do this again in April or May of 2011!

I'm sure there's a Bloody April comment in there somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by RickMartin View Post
    Great pic Ken! It was sooo cool meeting everyone that night at the Krystal Keep. I'm sorry that my voice decided not to come that evening. Had a blast and we gave out some great prizes to the fantastic players. I must say I was surprised to win the big gift card prize - I thought I'd go down in flames pretty quick. That cold medicine must have kept me flying! I'll post pics this weekend! Once again, a big thanks to all involved - maybe we can do this again in April or May of 2011!
    Thanks again Rick... oh and I think you gave my buddy your cold!! Count me in the next time you do it! (Assuming I can find someone to drive!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I posted about 8 or 9 pics from the event in the Krystal Keep 1st Wings of War Tourney album. Check 'em out when you get time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. 6th Wings of War tournament CITTA' di MASSA
    By gandalfo71 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 11:41
  2. Massa 2009 Wings of War tournament.
    By samuelvimes in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 08:18
  3. WWI Fly-In In Dayton Ohio
    By Zeppelin in forum Officer's Club