Ares Games

Thread: ADVANCED RULES, ALTITUDE AND CLOUDS

Default ADVANCED RULES, ALTITUDE AND CLOUDS

Thank you for the warm welcome to the site. I have been playing WoW WW1 for a while now and like the models, playability and design elements. As a wargamer, I am interested to know how many people are playing their own 'advanced' rules to take the game further and would be very interested to swop ideas. Using cards to manoeuvre and fire is quite innovative and interesting, but in terms of simplicity it seems out of sync with the coverage in the rules of altitude and cloud cover, which I find baffling. I have created a simple damage modifier table to cater for the combat advantage of climbing and diving and simply use altitude pegs but no climb counters. No battle reports I have seen use altitude in the game, or bombing, at all, which seems a pity. I use a D6 for cloud movement and a D8 or D10 for changing wind direction to create extra realism and have added rules about restrictions to movement, firing etc. I have created fire and smoke markers to put on the planes to add a bit of drama (one of my other interests is photographing the models and the action). Look forward to hearing from you... Merry Xmas! Sopwithcamel

Exclamation

G'day John & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

If you check out the Over the Trenches Solo campaign AAR's down in the WW1 section you will find many of us use Altitude but usually in a simplified way (I use Zoe's rules which are also used at the CANCON Games Convention)

I use clouds in some of my scenarios & also sometimes at our games club.

Have not thought to factor in Wind etc.

Hi John, have a look at the OTT rules threadlinked here there are a load of optional rules for wounds to pilots and observers, parachutes, rudder damage, ammo restriction on mag fed weapons, as well as links to useful odds and ends, from simple altitude and manoeuvre options to bombing and target cards. Something may tickle your interest.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks very much, gully-raker and flash. Very useful indeed. BTW, I have a WoW rulebook with the planes I bought but there is no mention of collisions and I have downloaded the WoG rulebook and there is no mention of altitude, clouds or collisions at all - in fact, nothing beyond the complete basics. I presume I have to buy this with the accessories pack. Is that right? Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SOPWITHCAMEL View Post
    Thanks very much, gully-raker and flash. Very useful indeed. BTW, I have a WoW rulebook with the planes I bought but there is no mention of collisions and I have downloaded the WoG rulebook and there is no mention of altitude, clouds or collisions at all - in fact, nothing beyond the complete basics. I presume I have to buy this with the accessories pack. Is that right? Thanks, guys!
    Hi John, you are quite right, you will need the Rules and Accessories pack to access the full rule set.

Having said that older Wings of War rulebooks are still around in electronic form and many of the rules are the same or similar. If you search online for 'Wings of War Burning Drachens' you should be able to locate a copy. It would be a good stop-gap until you source the current WGF RAP.

Quote Originally Posted by SOPWITHCAMEL View Post
    Rules & accessories pack is the way to go if you can find one John but Carl is right in that most of the old WoW rules are still applicable.
    All the old rules are in our files section linked here. 'Wings of War Burning Drachens' is where altitude & collisions came into the system and you will find a copy in the file along with all the others. Flight of the Giants is also useful as it covers bombing.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hi John and welcome to the Drome.
    Did you get my welcome message O.K. and the Wingman request, or was it just lost in the ether like so many others?
    Fly safe and watch your six.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

For myself I use a modified altitude system taken from the game Canvas Eagles, and I use a 12-inch range marker divided in the 4-inch segments with a #1, 2 and 3 indicated for number of damage cards to be drawn. This be based on the reports of accurate firing ranges typically being of within 50 yards IRL (which translates to roughly 12-inches at 1/144 scale). The idea for the one, two or three damage cards comes from the X-Wing miniatures range ruler and I have found it works quite well for WoG.

Welcome, John. As someone new to WoW/WoG I have been impressed with this forum and how helpful people are. I haven't yet explored all the nooks and crannies of the site, but I keep on finding more and more as time goes on.
    In terms of playing, our little group tends to keep it simple, rarely worrying about altitude and never in my time clouds. Our focus is on having fun without too much brain work!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, John, from here near Norwich.

The Rules and Accessories packs can still be found via the internet. For example, GameSeek say that they have some in stock https://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Toyw2p...Fc0W0wodEW8KSw (But please note, I have never bought anything from them to date, so I cannot comment on the quality of their service.) Also Amazon.co.uk have some in stock.

Similar Missions

1. Testing the Advanced WW II Solo Rules
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 01:14
  2. Optional Rules for the Advanced Solo Charts
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 08:32
  3. Spad v. Albatross - Solo with Richard's Advanced Rules.
    By Avetikus in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-20-2013, 23:19
  4. Optional Advanced Solo Rules
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 05:19
  5. SHVAK's Advanced Rules
    By SHVAK in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 13:25