Ares Games

Thread: Bashing the Bishop !

Default Bashing the Bishop !

I have (on occasion) over the past couple of years cast the odd assertion regarding the validity of the claims of one Lieutenant Colonel William "Billy" Avery Bishop.

I have certainly enjoyed the odd snipe at his alleged achievements but today I find myself in a contemplative mood.

There are very few pilots from the great war whose 'kill count' can be claimed to be 100% accurate and some are ridiculously wide of the mark, so to single out Bishop is a little unfair. I think it is better to look at the bigger picture... lets face it anyone who risked their lives in those flimsy contraptions of wood and canvas was undoubtedly a brave man. To factor in having to face off against a machine gun armed opponent who is doing his level best to kill you takes that bravery to another level altogether.

In times of conflict, especially one as all consuming as what we call the great war, people need hope and people need heroes. Bishop was unquestionably a brilliant pilot and by all accounts was an amazing shot as well. His published exploits must have given hope and inspiration to countless people and that alone makes him a hero. So, that being the case, number counting serves no purpose.

There will be no more bashing the bishop from this quarter. I would like to salute Bishop and all pilots from both sides - brave men one and all.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I bet Chris, if Bishop has flown the Brisfit you would not have had any criticism to throw!
    Last edited by Rebel; 12-04-2016 at 03:29. Reason: Missing word- 'would'

Wish you would change the title to Bashing Bishop, Chris. The title may be misconstrued.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I must admit I also saw the euphemistic qualities of the post!

Hmm...

We've a lot of WW 1 pilots that did not get credit for aerial victories which weren't confirmed.

I don't see a reason to general mistrust the WW 1 pilots, too.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Wish you would change the title to Bashing Bishop, Chris. The title may be misconstrued.
    I suspect that the choice was deliberate....................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I bet Chris, if Bishop has flown the Brisfit you would not have had any criticism to throw!
    Obviously I would have pictures of him on my wall...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I suspect that the choice was deliberate....................
    Guilty as charged - it was a pun too good to remain unused - also its way funnier (in a schoolboy humour sort of way)

In the fog of war, accuracy in victory counts is not a given. A plane "driven down out of control" may have been diving away from the fight, not even damaged. So, a claim may not be substantiated by the corresponding loss in enemy records.

And how many planes were shot down that were never claimed? Or planes that had mechanical issues that didn't make it back to their base, but never were in combat?

It is too late to rewrite history, as the legend has been made, however inaccurate. I'd go for the bravery approach.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

"It does not matter who scores the victories as long as the Staffel wins."
    [Oswald Boelcke]

Well you all know that I do not worship at the throne of Billy Bishop.
    I do not doubt his bravery as just to climb in a WW1 Aircraft took a certain bravery.
    I think Billy who wanted most to impress his fiance & her parents became a convenient Hero which the Allies needed badly & he was more than happy to go along.

As far as % of hard kills you might like to check out the Series 3 Reprint thread in the News & Announcements as I have posted some stats there for Mick Mannock & Jimmy McCudden. Very interesting stuff!

Similar Missions

1. WGF Billy Bishop
    By Walter Nowotny in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-17-2016, 15:10
  2. Western Front: MVR vs Billy Bishop
    By john snelling in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2016, 16:07
  3. SE5 Bishop for trade...
    By tailz in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0