Ares Games

Thread: Halberstadt D.IIIs

Default Halberstadt D.IIIs

I'm in the process of repainting my Halberstadt D.IIIs and have a couple of questions.

First, the models are painted with what strikes me as metal struts, yet every image I've been able to find (with the exception of a couple color plate drawings ... both of which sadly have conflicting renderings) seem to have wood.

Second, there don't seem to be any struts from the upper wing connected to the fuselage, yet (again) every image I see has them.

Does anyone have any idea what is correct? Or, as the exhaust pipes on these models do not match the systems I've seen in my searches, are the above two anomalies merely part of a version of the airplane depicted by ARES that I haven't been able to locate?

I also have a rather scary ordnance question. Based on everything I HAVE seen in my searching (including what is reflected in ARES's sculpt), I'm wondering if the machine gun is accessible enough for the pilot to clear any jamming, or should I incorporate a "permanent jam" rule while using these planes?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    I'm in the process of repainting my Halberstadt D.IIIs and have a couple of questions.

First, the models are painted with what strikes me as metal struts, yet every image I've been able to find (with the exception of a couple color plate drawings ... both of which sadly have conflicting renderings) seem to have wood.

Second, there don't seem to be any struts from the upper wing connected to the fuselage, yet (again) every image I see has them.

Does anyone have any idea what is correct? Or, as the exhaust pipes on these models do not match the systems I've seen in my searches, are the above two anomalies merely part of a version of the airplane depicted by ARES that I haven't been able to locate?

I also have a rather scary ordnance question. Based on everything I HAVE seen in my searching (including what is reflected in ARES's sculpt), I'm wondering if the machine gun is accessible enough for the pilot to clear any jamming, or should I incorporate a "permanent jam" rule while using these planes?
    G'day Mike! As far as I know all the Halberstadt models had wood Struts.
    Also I have not read anywhere that the pilot could not unjamb his guns so unless anyone else has proof of that you are good to go with the normal jamb rules.

Attached are a few images which might assist you.
    Check out the Halberstadt at the far end of the back row in the Kesta 4 pic.

Name:  WW1 Halberstadt D.III (1).jpg
Views: 235
Size:  21.7 KBName:  WW1 Halberstadt D.III (2).jpg
Views: 202
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  WW1 Kesta4 Freiburg take 2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  173.3 KBName:  WW1 Halberstadt D.II Von Kudal.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  38.0 KB
    Last edited by gully_raker; 12-01-2016 at 15:26.

The struts were steel tubing, as was the rudder support and undercarriage.
    http://www.aviation-history.com/halberstadt/d2.htm

Shouldn't be a problem with reaching the gun going on this D.II mock up for RoF

Last edited by flash; 12-02-2016 at 00:16.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I should have waited for your replies. Sadly, my impatience got the better of me last night and I now have to go back and repaint my new wooden struts back to metal! I should have known ARES had their act together when it came to such an oddity.

[Check out the Halberstadt at the far end of the back row in the Kesta 4 pic.]

That's a GREAT image! Where did you find it?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    [Check out the Halberstadt at the far end of the back row in the Kesta 4 pic.]

That's a GREAT image! Where did you find it?
    It was posted on the Aerodrome Historical Forum some years ago.
    Just Google the Aerodrome & you will find it.
    Great source for WW1 Aero History.

Similar Missions

1. WGF Halberstadt Cl I Fun!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 18:52
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 05:13
  3. WGF F-Toys SPAD 7s and Albatros D.IIIs
    By Mike W in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 16:42