Ares Games

Thread: Damage Decks / Counters - Games with More Than Four Pilots

Default Damage Decks / Counters - Games with More Than Four Pilots

Some advice from my fellow pilots regarding how you handle damage decks (WGF) /counters (WGS) in games with more than four pilots is requested and appreciated. I recently played a game with only four pilots and almost used up the entire A deck for one game. I hope to play in a game with several players during my next session.

I did some searching on the forum and it looks like some add in another deck (one per four players?). I know the rulebook for WGF on Page 9 says to write down the damage points:

"If an entire deck of damage cards has already been used up, each player writes down the total damage for each airplane and any special damages still affecting each airplane on a piece of paper. Then, all damage cards are reshuffled into their respective decks."

Similarly, the rulebook for WGS on Page 10 states:

"If an entire group of damage counters has already been used up, each player writes down the total damage for each airplane (and any special damages still affecting each airplane, if the Standard Rules are in use) on a piece of paper. Then, ALL damage counters are reshuffled into their respective groups."

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Lightbulb

I always use a double A & B deck for our Club & Solo games.

If you don't have two of each deck then suggest you do as per the Rule book suggestion & note each aircraft's damage & return all the cards to the deck.
    Another idea is each time an Aircraft is shot down return its damage cards to the deck & reshuffle.

One way is to make a note of the damage and return the card to the bottom of the pack. Re-shuffle the pack regularly.
    I am lucky in that I have at least 3 x A and 3 x B damage decks and multiple sets of counters so don't have your problems.
    UI think it's about time Ares issued these damage decks as stand alone items.

I can do both since I have multiple damage decks. Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I always use a double A & B deck for our Club & Solo games.

If you don't have two of each deck then suggest you do as per the Rule book suggestion & note each aircraft's damage & return all the cards to the deck.
    Another idea is each time an Aircraft is shot down return its damage cards to the deck & reshuffle.

Agree it would be a good idea for Ares to offer extra damage decks to those who don't have them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    One way is to make a note of the damage and return the card to the bottom of the pack. Re-shuffle the pack regularly.
    I am lucky in that I have at least 3 x A and 3 x B damage decks and multiple sets of counters so don't have your problems.
    UI think it's about time Ares issued these damage decks as stand alone items.

I always use triple decks and have not had this problem since my early days with single decks. Yes, it sure would be nice if ARES had decks of all kinds available for us.

I have managed to acquire at least two of each damage deck. Normally I will use a set of decks for each side, giving them equal probabilities of outcome during a game.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Although I have multiples of the original damage decks, I have scanned and card-stock printed two sets of each for doubling purposes in my personal gaming use. I prefer to keep my original decks stored separately to reduce the wear and tear. This way, when cards are over abused, I can just reprint replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I always use triple decks and have not had this problem since my early days with single decks. Yes, it sure would be nice if ARES had decks of all kinds available for us.
    I can't speak for the other Origins GM's over the years, but we have always used triple decks for the 12-14 player games we run at Origins. One deck per four aircraft as a general rule. From my limited experience, WWII games seem to do fine with double chits. The planes go down faster, thus their chits get reshuffled in faster!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    I have managed to acquire at least two of each damage deck. Normally I will use a set of decks for each side, giving them equal probabilities of outcome during a game.
    I've also used multiple decks, but I really like your idea of separate sets per side. I'm going to incorporate this into my games!

Great suggestion! I agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    I've also used multiple decks, but I really like your idea of separate sets per side. I'm going to incorporate this into my games!

i normally use a double deck so the deck neednt be reshuffled after the 1st boom card. i used the same for my scenario at this past origins and didnt have a problem. though quite a few people blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Me too Bob - double decks per side usually.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Rudder and engine damage hit counters - zeroes?!
    By Nightbomber in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 22:53
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2014, 12:00
  3. Damage deck, Counters or another chance?
    By Jureweah in forum Polls
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 03:56
  4. wow/wgs damage counters question
    By Kleebatch in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 10:28
  5. Damage counters: what type of gun do they represent?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 22:24