Ares Games
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: T.B.C. Awaiting discussions with ARES

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    I will admit that I am very disappointed that there is no RFC Nieuport, Thaw is U.S.
    True, but you get all three of the RE.8s

I would have preferred to see Ball instead of Baracca. The Baracca SPAD was not that popular back in the day. At least his N17 will give a good base for Italian repaints.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    So no Brumowski or Voss then?
    It would appear so. On balance I think Richthofen has been well over represented in the Wings of War and Glory series, we even have his Roland C-II!
    I would have favoured Brumowski or Voss over MvR. Of the three DIIIs B and V always command higher prices on e-bay, which may give us some idea of which is the more popular.

The extra R.E.8s are no bad thing, I don't really do Austro-Hungarian or Italian Front so my interest in the new releases will be very limited I'm afraid. A shame, we really needed an RFC Nieuport.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I just received the list of pilots/planes for the reprint of Series 3...

WGF117A Nieuport 17 (Baracca)
    WGF205A Ufag C.I (161-37)
    WGF205B Ufag C.I (161--109)
    WGF205C Ufag C.I (161-138)
    Another Italian one! Nice.

I'm shure I'm going to buy one or two UFAGs for the A-H/I front, too.

(I'm happy that I still own all of the first Albatross D.IIIs)
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I can see myself buying two R.E.8s (I already have four) and maybe the Thaw Nieu 17 and the Frommerz DIII. That's four purchases out of a potential eight new models.

It would appear so. On balance I think Richthofen has been well over represented in the Wings of War and Glory series, we even have his Roland C-II!
    I would have favoured Brumowski or Voss over MvR. Of the three DIIIs B and V always command higher prices on e-bay, which may give us some idea of which is the more popular..
    I believe the goal is to be able to fly MvR from start to finish. Not a bad concept really and it ties in nicely with the Ace cards that are already out. It is a shame that it has to eat up a slot in the normal release however.

This idea is not that bad, Herr Oberst.

Let's have a look for Richthofen's D.II, then.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

Let's have a look for Richthofen's D.II, then.
    What? This one? Doh!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=MVR DII.jpg  Views: 249  Size: 98.3 KB  ID: 213476" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Will Richtofen's be the red paint?

I can see a full purchase here for me

For me I could see getting one each Ni.17 or DIII. I'm not sure about the others. Really too bad about Brumowski or Voss, disappointing really. Not sure about the others.

I would have preferred to see Ball instead of Baracca. The Baracca SPAD was not that popular back in the day. At least his N17 will give a good base for Italian repaints.
    A big problem with Baracca's SPAD XIII (at least for me) was that it had a totally un-historical painting scheme.
    I hope they get the Ni-17 right this time

WGF117A Nieuport 17 (Baracca)

Nice! Will buy at least four of these ones for re-paintings to make a small Italian squadron. Rulfo di Calabria will be the first re-painting.

WGF117B Nieuport 17 (Nungesser)
    and WGF117C Nieuport 17 (Thaw)

I will probably buy a few of either of them (three at least) to make a small squadron too -- either Laffayette Sqd of a French Escadrille
    I agree with British players: having a British Ni-17 would had been nice since both Thaw and Nungesser are flying under French colors.

ALBATROS: Good news is that now I know what is coming so I can decide how will l re-paint my four Neux Albtross D.III I have. Bad news is that this guy below is not among the chosen offial Ares next release so I will have to make a hard re-painting my own. Bad news is that all these are already on F-Toys.

Name:	Albatros_D-III-OAW-Jasta39-Oblt_Josef_Loeser-300px.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	213480

WGF118A Albatros D.III (Frommerz)

I was saving a Neux Albatros D.III to re-paint after the Blau Mauss, so I will definitely buy this one.

WGF118B Albatros D.III (Gruber)

Will probably buy two of these ones, one for re-painting for an KuK Flik

WGF118C Albatros D.III (Von Richthofen)

Forget about it! I won't buy this! Too many Richthofens! Plus, if I buy it, I wont resist the temptation of having my own Flying Circus from Bloody April Days and then I will have to buy at least 5 more of these for re-paintings. So curse you Red Baron! I won't buy your plane this time around!

Good news: My Brumowsky mini may have doubled its price on eBay ... and people who want one is just a decal away from it

EDITED: Forget about what I've said... I will buy four Richthofen's ... I'll keep one and will repaint the other three after Allmenroder's, Braunbeck's, and Wolff's to have a Jasta 11 Patrol. Curse you Red Baron and Curse you Ares Games! You lured with your nice toys and caught me again into buying your stuff!

I already have all two seateres from this series I need.
    Last edited by Gallo Rojo; 12-30-2016 at 04:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Good news: My Brumowsky mini may have doubled its price on eBay

Thanks for the update, Herr Oberst. Looks like a good set, will probably be snagging most, if not all of them this time around.

Oh, and I also have to agree with your evaluation of the Gruber Albatros.

I'm a little disappointed as well...there should have been at least one famous RFC ace included.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    And my two Voss' may have gone up 50% each as well -- meaning one of them will go to the market instead of the work-bentch for re-painting

The lack of a true reprint for the D.III is interesting. In the past it has always been the best selling of the previous three... in this case, Brumowski. I'm actually in favor of them moving on to totally new paint schemes these days. However, the fact that two of their releases were already done by F Toys is less than exciting

The Gruber mini is a nice selection though...

Attachment 213475
    The von Richthofen and Gruber minis will make for numerous repainting options.

Nice work Ares!

Thumbs down

I really can not understand their choices for the N 17!
    Albert Ball was a MUST plus not one RFC N17!

I like the new line up, 99% sure it will be a full set purchase. Getting 3 new Alb. DIIIs is exciting. I think it would be nice though if they just came out with the Richtofen series of his own so the new and repaint releases could give us more variety of pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I really can not understand their choices for the N 17!
    Albert Ball was a MUST plus not one RFC N17!
    Not getting Albert Ball is a big disappointment. Especially if Nungesser is the same as last run. Oh well, time to paint up an Albert Ball.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Not getting Albert Ball is a big disappointment. Especially if Nungesser is the same as last run. Oh well, time to paint up an Albert Ball.
    Well, as my own avatar here is Albert Ball's Nieuport we all know where my sympathies lie!

Also disappointed in the F-toy reprints since I already have them. I actually have 5 of MvR. The rest I'm happy with.

Well, as my own avatar here is Albert Ball's Nieuport we all know where my sympathies lie!
    Perhaps they might consider a Duel Pack containing an N17 (Ball) vs Albatros III (Voss)?
    That would be a cool way to:
    1) satisfy everyone;
    2) give us a few more models that we might want; and
    3) make for another quick starting point for new players

A little odd that they only did one "reprint" out of the lot.
    Since I already have the original D.III I don't mind that they are giving us new ones.

Instead of making MvR part of the set they should do special pairings like they did with the Brown Camel, and put a "regular" ace in the standard set(s).

I will probably buy them all, except maybe Nungeser unless it looks markedly different.

P.S. I see Darknight was thinking the same thing as I was composing my comment.

Not bad choices, as usual, will be skipping the F-toys reprints. So many better choices available than those, sad that Ares seems intent to reprint them all.

This is a picture of the Furuta Manfred von Richrhofen Albatros D.III. As you can see it is not completely red.

Name:	Albatros_DIII_MvR.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	213491

Here are pictures of the Ufag C.I's. The spotted one is the reprint.

Name:	175_7_a1.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	213494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158.the-ufag-c.i-746-p.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	213495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	175_4.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	213496

Huh, about 5 years ago I bought Brumowski's D.III for 55$ and thought it is terrible expensive. No, it wasn't. Brumowski + Galland are much better than gold ingots...

I believe the goal is to be able to fly MvR from start to finish. Not a bad concept really and it ties in nicely with the Ace cards that are already out. It is a shame that it has to eat up a slot in the normal release however.

maybe its time to do an MVR line of special packs!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    maybe its time to do an MVR line of special packs!
    How about we do a line of people who were NOT MvR? There was more than one famous German pilot.

Voss, Udet, Boelke, Immelman, etc.

Then there's Wolff, Allmenroder and a host of pilots who were not quite top notch but still very good.

These are their biographies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Voss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Udet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Boelcke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Allmenröder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Wolff_(aviator)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Immelmann
    Last edited by 'Warspite'; 12-21-2016 at 07:31. Reason: spelling error and add the bios

How about we do a line of people who were NOT MvR? There was more than one famous German pilot.

Then there's Wolff, Allmenroder and a host of pilots who were not quite top notch but still very good.
    The good news is with the Manfred von Richthofen Albatros D.III it can be easily repainted to represent other famous Jasta 11 'Kanonen' such as Karl Allmenröder, Kurt Wolff, Otto Brauneck, and Karl Schäfer.

I have to admit to being a bit non plussed here. This is the 4th MvR model, counting two Dr1 variants, plus LvR and not a single mention of Ball, McCudden or Mannock in any model (only cards). I'm sure this will please some folk, but personally I am not happy about it Is there a reason? Perhaps someone could enlighten me Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I have to admit to being a bit non plussed here. This is the 4th MvR model, counting two Dr1 variants, plus LvR and not a single mention of Ball, McCudden or Mannock in any model (only cards). I'm sure this will please some folk, but personally I am not happy about it Is there a reason? Perhaps someone could enlighten me Thanks in advance.

Well said!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    The good news is with the Manfred von Richthofen Albatros D.III it can be easily repainted to represent other famous Jasta 11 'Kanonen' such as Karl Allmenröder, Kurt Wolff, Otto Brauneck, and Karl Schäfer.
    Indeed they can. On the other hand - and for the benefit of educating the new gamers - the MvR model could have just been painted as someone else.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys that don't paint and am not a modeller. I do have two MvR's planes, the Albatros D.II and Fokker Dr.I. but don't think I would want any more. For me I, especially since I don't paint, I would purchase the more famous pilots.

I'll buy one of each, coz that's what I do, and then extras for repainting. No extra UFAGs and RE8s though.

Probably just a few repaints this time around; I already have a dozen or so F-Toys lined up for Jasta 11, and I have plenty of Nieuport 17s.
    I'll be interested to see whether the sculpt on the DIIIs has been improved - the Series 3 DIIIs were too short and fat, with wings spaced too far apart and with thick "tree-trunk" struts. If the reprint ones have been improved, then I'll get a few extras; if not, then it's off to Shapeways again.

Like others above, I'm disappointed that Albert Ball didn't make the cut.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

Great - another MvR - was looking forward to Brumowski - really getting fed up with Ares choices lately and long reprint delays. Well i wont buy any MvR plane on principle now. Not happy.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by strontiumdog View Post
    Great - another MvR - was looking forward to Brumowski - really getting fed up with Ares choices lately and long reprint delays. Well i wont buy any MvR plane on principle now. Not happy.
    I have started a poll on the subject, please feel free to take part!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...hofen-machines

Users Country Flag

Name
    Trevor
    Sorties Flown

Can't really write anything without alienating myself with some members, but suffice to say disappointed with there choices yet again.
    Is this on a par with the Me109k or that silly jap bomber only ever used as a kamikaze , maybe
    suffice to say patients and interest is waning

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

To lose out on an aircraft i've wanted (one which we seem to have waited far too long to get in the first place) just to pander to the MvR groupies sticks in my craw. Seriously considering giving up on this game now - sick of the long waits and disappointment >

You're not alienating people when you voice your feelings on something you make a monetary investment in Tally Ho (as we all do).

Warspite i have voted - i think you can guess which way lol

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I will "Second" that.

The only Allied (i.e. British) famous Aces to my knowledge are Bishop (Canadian) plus Little & Dallas both Australian, Collishaw (Canadian) & Barker another Canadian.

Its more than about time the above 3 Aces mentioned by Mike are acknowledged by Ares.

Hopefully we might see Mick & Mac in the SE 5a reprint?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Well… for the SE5a reprint we could get… Ball (just) McCudden and Mannock.

If they must reprint an SE5 it will probably be Bishop () so McCudden and Mannock are the other obvious choices for the other two.

Because Richthofen is Iconic, and Ball isn't.

(ARE YOU BEGINNING TO SEE WHERE THAT LINE OF THINKING ENDS UP NOW?)

I will "Second" that.

The only Allied (i.e. British) famous Aces to my knowledge are Bishop (Canadian) plus Little & Dallas both Australian, Collishaw (Canadian) & Barker another Canadian.

Its more than about time the above 3 Aces mentioned by Mike are acknowledged by Ares.

I think Mannock and McCudden would be first on the list. An SE.5 for Ball would also give Ares a reason to generate stats for the earlier version of the type.

After looking through the collection to date I will definitely get one of each plus two extra Baracca, von Richthofen and Gruber for repaints. Maybe an extra Nungesser or Thaw for repainting as a Russian Nieuport. I'll be repainting the reprint UFAG C.I as a Czech machine for post WW1 battles.

Bishop should probably be the reprint for the SE5a.
    I hope anyway, as I was not around during the Nexus days.

Lets change the name of the game to WoMvR
    Last edited by Gallo Rojo; 12-21-2016 at 21:39.

These are their biographies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Voss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Udet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Boelcke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Allmenröder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Wolff_(aviator)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Immelmann

because none of these are iconic enough that people whore non gamers or not into history have heard of him. thats why i mentioned doing special packs. to take him out ot the loop of regular releases.

I have enough 2 seaters, so i will be skipping those. I have been anxious for some new, colorful Albatros, but since 2 are F-Toys reprints, I will be skipping those. So just the Nieuports + 1 Albatros for me then.

Very sad choices by Ares, I can see them always wanting to have a Richtofen in print, but to do 2 repaints that most of your biggest fans will already have is bizarre! So many better choices out there than Frommerz at least - the candy cane stripes, or black and white striped Weiland, or blue striped Bohning, or other colorful choice.
    Last edited by greenalfonzo; 12-21-2016 at 20:20.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What series 2 (WW2) are you awaiting the most?
    By The Blue Baron in forum Polls
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-12-2020, 14:56
  2. What series 4 (WW1) are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 14:41
  3. Awaiting the Fokker Scourge.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 17:35
  4. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 23:42
  5. What upcoming product are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 17:30