Ares Games
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: T.B.C. Awaiting discussions with ARES

I like them, especially UFAGs, but...did you see R.E.8 props? Two of three look terrible even on business photos

My problem is which one? I like to pick a pilot with some history. But I dint know much about them. I'll probably get one of each. I already have some Wow planes.

Cue Wing-Edge-Color Griping in 5, 4, 3....

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Twin forward firing guns were tested on aircraft 161.31 in July 1918
    This information on the Ares page concerning UFAG C.I :
    UFAG C.I (161–37)
    In an attempt to improve UFAG’s firepower against enemy fighters, a second forward–firing machine gun was experimentally added to this airplane. This model has special cards to reflect the upgrade.

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-wi...packs/ufag-c-i

Shut up and take my money.

I was really looking forward to the Nieuport 17 and Albatros D.III models. Officially on Dawn Patrol for their appearance on shelves.

So one each of the two seaters, one camo N.17, probably three each of the doped aluminum N.17s, one Frommherz D.III, four Gruber D.IIIs (to start) and maybe three von Richthofen D.IIIs (not quite as useful without the three colour camouflaged top wing).

Good thing I have a birthday in July....

Smile

Well I definitely need another RE 8 & some more Albatross D.III's as I only have the Voss mini.
    However have enough N.17's ( would have grabbed a Albert Ball one if they had made it & another RFC) & Ufag's.

Like the UFAG's very bright, already have a FToys Blue mouse, but will probably get all three D3, was hoping for a Ball Neiuport and have already repainted these so none for me, RE8 didnt think I would need anymore, but like these so they are on the list

So, is Nungesser the only carry-over or is this a different one of his Nieuports, and perchance if it's carry-over is there a plan so us with the original version can update ours?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I like to be a completest, but I don't think I need any more Re.8s.
    Karl
    I'm thinking the same

Do not need any Frommherz or Nungesser either. But 2 A-H D.IIIs and since MvR is different get one of those also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I like to be a completest, but I don't think I need any more Re.8s.
    Karl
    I know the feeling - especially as I picked up some from forum member sales over the last year or so.
    these 3 will will increase my collection by 50%

I will support Ares and Keith and get one of each.

I like the Albatos D.III - no duplicates there - so maybe 2 of each ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I like them, especially UFAGs, but...did you see R.E.8 props? Two of three look terrible even on business photos
    As the owner of 4 RE.8s Daniel I have to say their props break easily, particularly if you drop them on their nose whilst changing altitude pegs. Nothing a dab of supa-glue does not fix.

I am pleased that one of the Ufag C.I's can have twin forward firing guns. Also I notice that two of the Nieuport 17's have A guns.

It looks like repainting Nieuport 17's to replicate those flown by Albert Ball in 60 Squadron is a possibility but one would also require a special propeller boss.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f50f46bb1f954b5292e7a8fd97b9a9c2.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	219571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ni17_a6684.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	219572

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well I definitely need another RE 8 & some more Albatross D.III's as I only have the Voss mini.
    However have enough N.17's ( would have grabbed a Albert Ball one if they had made it & another RFC) & Ufag's.
    The silver French N.17 is a perfect candidate for RFC repaints. I am going to do a flight of 29 Squadron (with the bright red fuselage bands) and probably another from 6RNAS after the bank balance recovers from the initial outlay.

Bad news from Rob, guys... if you own an original Nungesser, it's obsolete--you'll have to buy the new ones on carry-overs to get their Ace cards.

Did Nungesser ever fly a silver Ni.17 with his black heart marking? I'm tempted to repaint the new version if so, since I have to buy one to get the cards...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Which by the way was there in the original Nexus release...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

Might buy 6 at the most (1 D.III, 2-3 N17, 1 RE8, 1 UFAG). Albatroses's are particularly disappointing - also i don't understand why they have to leave a wing edge on Gruber's machine if they can cover it on the other ones. Painting it would not be a big deal, but TBH its a dull looking airplane - had hoped to see that barber's pole one (i imagine that would be a @#$!! to manufacture though).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Yeah, even the originals had crap props... that's where the AA spinning props come in real handy

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I will support Ares and Keith and get one of each.

I hope to have these up on the AA site for pre-order either this weekend or early next week. Any requests on bonus item(s) that I include with the pre-orders?

I'm also working on a decal sheet for the Gruber D.III as discussed in this thread, starting with post #112 The decal sheet should cover a total of 8 different aircraft using Gruber as the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Which by the way was there in the original Nexus release...
    That was actually a feature of the paint job on Nungesser's cammo Nieuport not an error.
    Don't need any more Nieuports but may well pick up some Albatrii & possibly RE8's.

"He is wise who watches"

Bad news from Rob, guys... if you own an original Nungesser, it's obsolete--you'll have to buy the new ones on carry-overs to get their Ace cards.

Did Nungesser ever fly a silver Ni.17 with his black heart marking? I'm tempted to repaint the new version if so, since I have to buy one to get the cards...
    I don't know about obsolete. It is still a good plane that can be flown isn't it?

As for buying planes to get their cards, I've already done that in another game. And that practice drove me over here. Sigh...

Yes he did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nungesser N17.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	219633

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I hope to have these up on the AA site for pre-order either this weekend or early next week. Any requests on bonus item(s) that I include with the pre-orders?

I'm also working on a decal sheet for the Gruber D.III as discussed in this thread, starting with post #112 The decal sheet should cover a total of 8 different aircraft using Gruber as the base.
    ................and so another chunk of cash wings its way Keithwards!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Looks like I'll have to buy nine of these blighters now, good one Keith!!

I'd like to see some acrylic engine damage tokens - preferably as the Albatros bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    ..., four Gruber D.IIIs (to start) ...
    So if there isn't a single Gruber leftover for me, you need to send me one to Germany, Carl.

I like the A-H D.III the most too and need to buy a Richthofen.

The Italian Nieuport is an enrichmet for my Italian Front.

Beside this I need to buy this UFAG with the additional gun card and the ground attack version. I like the uncommon painting of those cool A/H twoseaters.

Five to six planes seems to be realistic.

Hope we'll see an Italian twoseater with the next new WGF series.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 03-23-2017 at 08:04.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Beside this I need to buy this UFAG with the additional gun card and the ground attack version.
    I wish I could get the cards. I already have 3 UFAG.

Hope we'll see an Italian twoseater with the next new WGF series.
    I hope so too Sven. Italian two seater (Pomilio PC perhaps), Hansa Brandenburg C.I, Sopwith Pup and a Hansa-Brandenburg D.I 'Star-Strutter'.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post

Von Richthofen

Great looking minis! All of them!
    I'm getting, two Barracca's and two Lubfery's Ni-17, the Blau Mauss and three Gruber's Albatross D.III

Now ... what happened with the camo-wing Richthoffen's? Now it happens to be an all red Albatross... I'm still trying to figure out if this is good, bad or ugly...
    On the one hand with I'll definetelly publish a file to do home made decals to tranform this all red Albatross D.III into two alternative Brumowski's, so anyone with a printer and some skills can have his own Brumowski's plan ... but on the other hand my project of buying three of four Richthoffen's for repainting and having a small Jasta 11 patroll is now jeopardized! will I do it? ... dunno
    Last edited by Gallo Rojo; 03-24-2017 at 05:51.

Do all of them come with some kind of skill, pilot or plane card?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Ace, skill and special rule cards will be included.
    I think so.

Same like the new series before.

Any idea at all when these will ship?

I've already got the two A-deck N.17 and a few D.IIIs, but like the looks of that MvR - will be perfect for repaints into Kurt Wolff, too.

Will probably pick up at least one more RE.8 as well.

Stoked!

The WGF205A UFAG C.I (161–37) says [...] "a second forward–firing machine gun was experimentally added to this airplane. This model has special cards to reflect the upgrade"

And the WGF205C UFAG C.I (161–138) says "As a high–performing 2–seater," [...] "This model has special cards to reflect that."

So does this mean that every plane has different cards?

They look nice but (apart from those prop blades and some of those wing edges) but I don't think I need any so all the more for the rest of you

Much goodness in this series.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

I'm pretty sure the new standard is for each plane come come with some type of ace or skill card. I don't know if each plane of a type will be different or not though. I would expect any duplicate cards between planes would be kept at a minimum.

The sales sheet I got from Ares says June 2017.

Oh, and the retail on the Two seaters is $19.90 and $14.90 on the scouts. So no price increase from Ares on this series.

I'm pretty sure the new standard is for each plane come come with some type of ace or skill card. I don't know if each plane of a type will be different or not though. I would expect any duplicate cards between planes would be kept at a minimum.
    I understand the reasoning, I think. But still that is a little disappointing. If you wanted a single plane but also wanted the upgunned and ground attack, that's two planes you need to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I understand the reasoning, I think. But still that is a little disappointing. If you wanted a single plane but also wanted the upgunned and ground attack, that's two planes you need to purchase.
    That's the idea!

If you're trying to sell as many pieces as possible, why put all the same goodies in every single one?

It's a business strategy, not a giveaway program.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Yes, I can't say I mind the strategy, the airplane "pieces" are great fun on their own (without additional upgrade cards) and quite playable, the cards just offer additional opportunities.

Compared to FFG / X-Wing, the cards released are very mild in their impact on the game, and just add flavor / interest, as opposed to being "essential equipment" to have any kind of competitive or even fun match-up.

IMHO, Ares has gotten this aspect right, and to the extent that further sales will help foster a positive feedback cycle vis-a-vis further releases, I'm all for it!

I agree! X-wing is pandering to the teen market, methinks, in its gimmicks, at least Wings appreciates us oldies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    I agree! X-wing is pandering to the teen market, methinks, in its gimmicks, at least Wings appreciates us oldies!!!!
    I wonder how many teens can afford X-Wing's distribution strategy? Hopefully they're mainly playing games for fun, with friends, and proxying cards that may be too expensive to obtain normally?

I don't begrudge FFG their strategy, but playing with all official cards (i.e. for a tourney) can make for an expensive hobby, depending on how you go about obtaining the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I wonder how many teens can afford X-Wing's distribution strategy? Hopefully they're mainly playing games for fun, with friends, and proxying cards that may be too expensive to obtain normally?

I don't begrudge FFG their strategy, but playing with all official cards (i.e. for a tourney) can make for an expensive hobby, depending on how you go about obtaining the cards.
    I guess I hadn't better mention 'Imperial Assault' !!!! I could get all the Albatrii, Nieuports and UfaG's I need for the cost of the core set!!!!

Guys I'm not complaining, though it may seem that way to some. Neither am I asking for a giveaway program, where did you get that from. Also I understand this is the way they've chosen to go to market and that is their market strategy. I'm not sure how I've given the impression I didn't understand at least that.

This simply isn't my favorite marketing strategy and I'm just a little disappointed; that's all. I get that this gives the planes an optional different feel. Perhaps that may encourage some to purchase more than they might have. For me though, it is a disincentive. I already have a UFAG, RE8, etc. and would have happily bought a new one for a few extra cards. But since the cards are different for each plane maybe I should just be happy with what I already own. Also, I would have happily bought a pack of cards independent of the planes as I did from BGG. If the cards shows which planes they applied to that would be fantastic. Perhaps they'll come out with these as expansions, though it doesn't seem likely.

Finally, I'm not sure of your X-Wing crowd with X-Wing but it seems to be different from my experience. X-Wing is a fairly expensive game. Initial buy ins can easily run as high as $100 for a middling squad. A few hundred for a tournament level squad. If you want to play a variety of games or even Epic it can add up. I'm not seeing nearly as many 'teens' as adults and many 40 and up. And even if it was teens that did the majority of purchases wouldn't that be an advantage to a game. Rather than an older crowd, but a newer growing one?

I personally see the addition of the plane specific cards as a way to spread the cost burden to only those that want them. Had they put every card in all three packs of a plane type, they would have had to print three times the number of cards. There by raising the cost of all when some people did not want/or need the extra cards. As they have done it, you only pay for what you want, it stays truer to historically accurate, and one can always use the rules even if they don't have the cards. Wings has never been a sticker's game when it comes to official cards/planes.

The one thing I wish I could get them to print as a card set is all of the Ace Skills without attributing them to a real life ace. Generic Ace Skill cards would be perfect for campaigns where we fly our own fictional pilots.

I see the additional plane & aces cards as a little gratification in each airplane pack.

If you want them all, buy all planes of course.

I'm curious what ace abilities Gruber has.

The one thing I wish I could get them to print as a card set is all of the Ace Skills without attributing them to a real life ace. Generic Ace Skill cards would be perfect for campaigns where we fly our own fictional pilots.
    Herr Oberst, only the rearside of the card is relating to the ace & his nationality.

The side with the ace ability text can be used by everyone.

Simply don't tell the rookie in the Sopwith Camel that he's using Richthofen's sniper ace ability.

I'm curious what ace abilities Gruber has.
    Pretending to be a random office worker to Bruce Willis?

Pretending to be a random office worker to Bruce Willis?
    And falling great distances without a parachute

Herr Oberst, only the rearside of the card is relating to the ace & his nationality.

The side with the ace ability text can be used by everyone.

Simply don't tell the rookie in the Sopwith Camel that he's using Richthofen's sniper ace ability.

I've not looked in a long time, but doe we have a card for each ace skill in the book?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What series 2 (WW2) are you awaiting the most?
    By The Blue Baron in forum Polls
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-12-2020, 14:56
  2. What series 4 (WW1) are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 14:41
  3. Awaiting the Fokker Scourge.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 17:35
  4. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 23:42
  5. What upcoming product are you awaiting the most?
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 17:30