Ares Games

View Poll Results: What would you prefer in these videos?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watch the entire game (very long video)

11 32.35%
  • Watch the highlights (shorter video)

23 67.65%

Thread: Wings of Glory videos on YouTube?

Default Wings of Glory videos on YouTube?

Salute all! Checking in after being absent for a while.

I was recently on YouTube, looking for miniature reviews of Wings of Glory planes. I was struck by the fact that there really aren't any. Then, I had an idea:

Between my younger brother Greyson and I, we own probably close to 100 Wings of Glory WW1 miniatures. I also enjoy making videos on YouTube. So, we're thinking about making some YouTube videos featuring duels between matchups of planes like the SPAD XIII/Albatros D.Va, Camel/Dr 1, Se5a/Pfalz D.IIIa, etc.

We've actually filmed the first one and are putting it together right now. In these videos, we briefly compare/contrast the dueling planes' strengths, and then duel it out for glory & honor on the table.

I have a question: Usually gameplay takes about 28-35 minutes. Would you rather watch the game in its entirety or just watch the highlights? Watching the entire game would make the video very long but would probably have a more natural flow to it. Watching the highlights would bring down the length of the video considerably, but might have a more "choppy" flow to it. What are your thoughts?

Either way, I think these videos are a great way to showcase Wings of Glory to gamers who are curious about the game, but really don't know where to start, or which planes they would want to buy. It would also give Greyson and I a very good excuse to play it more again.

Salute!
    - HotleadColdfeet

Hi Cole, welcome back!

I personally voted for "highlights", principally because my time is already over-subscribed.

I agree that videos would showcase the game and the planes, and we're already familiar with your awesome video skills!
    As for an excuse to play, do you really need an excuse???
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I have seen a number of videos on YouTube about games (Bolt Action/Command & Colors/Flames of War). Some are highlights and others are full games. I would go with the highlights but a few full game would also be nice for people to see how the game works.

great idea on your part.

Thanks guys!

I had a thought that I could do the full games, but include quick links in the video description to key moments in the video for those who (understandably!) don't have time to watch the whole thing.

What do you guys think about that?

Lightbulb

Your ideas are really great Cole.
    Perhaps one full length with links to Highlights & other clips of different games with just the Highlights.

theres a few decent ones but theyre few and far between. personally id like the full game ones. the highlight ones seem disjointed.

I would think highlights with narration to keep the flow going - kind of like the AARs we post.

"Skip a bit, brother..." *

* Life of Brian

Perhaps at the start no highlights, say 4-5 full moves so watchers (who dont play) get the mechanics of movement and shooting then switching to the best bits (highlights) of the combat and end results. Or just explaining the game mechanics in full then highlights of the game.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

You could do both of course Cole !
    I'd go along similar lines as Neil - explain how the mechanics of the game work then show how it works in a game highlight, movement, shooting, damage, special damage etc Lots of editing but could work well. Once you have a basics done then concentrate on the different machines in action in other videos.

"He is wise who watches"

After watching X-Wing Worlds I think I'd prefer watching the entire game but a qualifier.

It really depends not on the game, but on the commentary and how well they communicate what is going on. If the commentary is limited then I wouldn't go beyond highlights. Alex was, or at least acted, excited during the games and kept you informed. I would have preferred more side panel info but overall, a good job.

Please, we absolutely need more WGF videos on Youtube. And I would go for the whole thing, not just the highlights. Maybe you could trim unnecessary things like planning the next movement cards etc. and give us just the adrenaline packed action of those dogfights. This is especially pleasing for newcomers, i guess. When will the first episode be online?

Hey guys!

Work and college have finally slowed down for a bit, so I was able to finish the first episode of the series I'm making! Thanks to your feedback, I think I found a rather elegant solution to the "full game or highlights-only" question. For the standard maneuvering, I resorted to stop-motion photos with a narration to keep the audience's interest. However, as was suggested by some, I left the cameras rolling during the crucial moments in the game, so viewers can watch for themselves what goes on. Thus, you still get to watch the full game, but I was also able to reduce what could have been a 25-30 minute video to a 13 minute one.

Please let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: After reviewing feedback from you, I've improved and updated the movie! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Salute!
    - HotleadColdfeet (Rookie Ace)
    Last edited by HotleadColdfeet; 12-04-2016 at 15:02.

Well done Cole and Greyson! That was a good first video. May I suggest that you include the website addresses of The Aerodrme and Ares Games in your captions at the end of your Wings of Glory videos.

Thumbs up

I did enjoy that Cole! well done mate. You two obviously enjoyed it too with lots of laughs.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great stuff here, Cole! Adding the uniforms into the mix is a nice touch You two seem to genuinely enjoy the game and the filming process - I look forward to watching the catalog of videos grow.

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks all! Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    May I suggest that you include the website addresses of The Aerodrme and Ares Games in your captions at the end of your Wings of Glory videos.
    Thanks for the feedback David! I have clickable links to them in the video description on my YouTube page. At your suggestion, I'll also try to add a text banner to the video's ending that says something like, "Join the community at www.wingsofwar.org!"
    Last edited by HotleadColdfeet; 12-04-2016 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    Thanks guys!

I had a thought that I could do the full games, but include quick links in the video description to key moments in the video for those who (understandably!) don't have time to watch the whole thing.

What do you guys think about that?
    This is a great option. Looking forward to your Wings videos.

Very nicely done!

Great video. I'll be sharing that around.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Well done, guys. I think the length is good for a quick view by the uninitiated masses.
    You obviously had fun playing/recording this match.

One point regarding Flames - it's only 3 turns, not 4, that you must draw an "A" damage.
    (and maybe emphasize that it's turns not phases)

Thanks so much guys! We had a great time making it.

Also, after reviewing feedback, I've re-uploaded the video to YouTube. I added some text near the end encouraging viewers to join the community here, corrected one instance of missing text I found, and corrected the statement I made concerning the "on fire" special damage. Finally, the video is now "public," so anyone can view it now!

Thanks again guys!

S!
    - HotleadColdfeet

"Cole and Greyson Productions" has a certain ring to it.
    I was very impressed with both the quality of your video and its content. It was concise, clear and informative whilst retaining all the charm and banter of the game as played and loved by so many of us.
    You should really bring it to the attention of Andrea, by PM-ing him.
    I chuckled my way through the entire demo.
    Where did you resource those uniforms and how much did they cost?
    Thanks chaps very much.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lightbulb

Cole I would look forward to an AAR for a fight between a Albatross D.Va & a Camel which would have a lot more exciting manoeuvres!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    "Cole and Greyson Productions" has a certain ring to it.
    I was very impressed with both the quality of your video and its content. It was concise, clear and informative whilst retaining all the charm and banter of the game as played and loved by so many of us.
    You should really bring it to the attention of Andrea, by PM-ing him.
    I chuckled my way through the entire demo.
    Where did you resource those uniforms and how much did they cost?
    Thanks chaps very much.
    Kyte.
    Thanks Rob!

We got the British uniform from a replicator in India:
    http://www.replicaters.com/

We got the German uniform from Soldier of Fortune in the United Kingdom:
    http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/

Both sets cost approximately $200 US dollars. Understandably, we spread out those purchases over a year or so, as we saved up funds. We actually bought them for the Frank Luke Jr. short film I released in January of this year. When we started making Wings of Glory videos, we thought we might as well use the uniforms again to bring some life into the videos.
    Last edited by HotleadColdfeet; 12-07-2016 at 10:51.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Cole I would look forward to an AAR for a fight between a Albatross D.Va & a Camel which would have a lot more exciting manoeuvres!
    Thanks Barry! We actually did another game with a Camel and a Dr 1 about a week ago. Now, I just need to find time to put it together. The holidays are getting busier, not to mention that I'm working on a few other projects. You'll hear about some of them soon.

Am I the only one watching the Wings of Glory World Championships on Twitch?

I didn't know it was on?

Well and I'm at work.

Nor I Ken.
    I know I am going to regret asking this, but what is Twitch?
    Rob.

Twitch is an Internet channel where you can watch people playing video games live, instead of looking at your TV to watch people playing football live. It's quite a hit with the young and trendy.

They just showed a boardgame championship on it a couple of weeks back. Don't recall the game, but I remember thinking it would be dull to watch.

Fantasy Flight always has their world finals on it for their various games, plus occasionally regular people have their own channels and will stream their games as well. I'm surprised that YouTube has gotten into this since they have live streaming too, and YouTube allows for multiple camera views.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagrilarus View Post
    Twitch is an Internet channel where you can watch people playing video games live, instead of looking at your TV to watch people playing football live. It's quite a hit with the young and trendy.
    Ah! That explains it then John.
    Thanks.
    Kyte.

Utterly great! I agree that the mix of complete phases and stop motions is really agood way to keep completeness and at the same time offer a more steamlined video of a reasonable lenght.

Hi guys!

Here is the next battle report...this time Flea takes his Sopwith Camel to battle my Fokker Dr. 1!

Congratulations to you and Greyson on your latest production, Cole!

Very well done and fun, congrats.

Thumbs up

Great work Boys. Great Fun!

Yet another great video Cole.
    Very clear and humorous.
    Kept my interest to the end.
    Rob.

What camera are you using. works well.

Hi Lance! I'm actually using my iPhone. Works well in a pinch, and is really easy to set up.

looks interesting. cant wait!

I have watched all of your vids and you convinced me that I should get some gimbal mounts for my miniatures plus you are the reason I found this website, please do more videos and if so maybe some ww2 ones thanks cole

Quote Originally Posted by the black devil View Post
    I have watched all of your vids and you convinced me that I should get some gimbal mounts for my miniatures plus you are the reason I found this website, please do more videos and if so maybe some ww2 ones thanks cole
    Hey Esa! Just saw this...sorry for taking a bit to reply.

I'm so glad you enjoyed these videos! There are definitely more on the way for sure! As far as WW2 goes, that's a cool idea, but WW1 is what I'm really passionate about. I think I'll stick with that for the time being.

Cole, I've replied via the other link, but shall repeat here. Great set of videos. Love the format and the humour that goes with them - congratulations and thanks for sharing them here. All the best to the Flea and Here's to a swift recovery for him Mike

Similar Missions

1. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory with the designer in Rome, 25th of September
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:45
  2. National: Wings of Glory e Sails of Glory a Roma, venerdì 25 settembre
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:23
  3. Wings on Youtube
    By Dowters in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2015, 08:30
  4. Videos on YouTube