Ares Games

Thread: Two Of The Same Planes...

Default Two Of The Same Planes...

We recently ordered a bunch of WW1 WOW planes, & accidently ordered two ww071 Albatrosses, (Jentsch). How can we make them different, so we don't get confused while playing? We play other miniature games & have painted alot of figures, but I'm not too happy about repainting these neat little planes. Anybody got any ideas?
    Thanks, Joe

Maybe you could try marking the bases somehow? Something as simple as a piece of colored tape underneath the base would work.

Scott

That'd be the easiest way. I just put a coloured dot on the base and a matching one on the aircraft's card.

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpopper View Post
    We recently ordered a bunch of WW1 WOW planes, & accidently ordered two ww071 Albatrosses, (Jentsch). How can we make them different, so we don't get confused while playing? We play other miniature games & have painted alot of figures, but I'm not too happy about repainting these neat little planes. Anybody got any ideas?
    Thanks, Joe
    Well, if you want a temporary way of telling them apart, you can place a piece of tape or something similar on one base to distinguish them.

I admit, my first reaction is "Break out the paint! Custom color time!"

Hi Joe, Try this: When looking through the picture files, I've seen a lot of repaint albums. In those albums, I've seen quite a lot of people who simply changed a small detail, such as an ID number or a stripe on the tail. If that doesn't work, just follow my dad's (Scott) advice .

Hunter

Hello everybody! Thanks for the info. I went over to the photo section, & checked out some of the repaints. Yeah, this looks good, gonna try some of that! Now for some more info. What kind of paint should I use? Should I use as a primer," that made for plastic" spray paint (fusion)? Should I give it a flat black primer, for a dark color, or a flat white primer for a brighter color? Do I have to remove original pant/decals? And how about the airplane's ID card? (the one that came with the mini) Can it be redrawn,or recolored? Where can I buy decals? Joe

If you want a quick and easy (and easy to undo) way. The way I did it was by cutting a thin strip of blue painters tape to make a thin stripe. Then just put it on a wing or around the fuselage. The tape sticks well, and can be taken off without damaging the paint of the model.

Default I know your pain....

As I increase the size of my collection I have managed to double on three different aircraft:

Albatross D. Va - Ludwig Weber
    Nieuport 17 (Lufbery/Thenault)
    R.A.F. SE5a (Bishop)

I honstly figured I would take the extras and attempt to trade pilots here for an aircraft I am missing... or even for one of model kits out there... However I have really not seen any specific forum for trading on the site, nor any type of application to set a trade up. In the end if I cannot find a taker (or if trading is taboo on the site) then my intention is to use the models to add a few cow-spotted custom repaints to my collection.
    Last edited by The Cowman; 11-12-2010 at 09:55. Reason: typo
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

You could simply add a thin strip of masking tape around the rear struts of one of them, to signify a flight leader. Seems the most painless way to differentiate them. Doesn't damage the aircraft either, should you wish to sell it on later.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I don't have doubles of any planes but have been in the situation of more than one plane of the same paint scheme on the board at a time. I made a photo copy of a unit patch of my old army unit ( the Blackhorse Regiment) and shrunk it down and colored it. Hole punched it so that it fits over the pegs. That way I can tell mine from the others. Planning ahead on my part helped avoid some confusing flybys where we could have lost track of who was where.

This way I didn't have to permanently alter the plane or base. Though I am thinking of coming up with a personal paint scheme to use in the tradition of the flying circus. Now that the Col. is adding decals.

You can also simply add a single digit number on the fuselge sides or upper wing as this was common to both sides. Just use some dry transfer decals and rub 'em on. no muss no fuss and little bother. If you don't seal them in you can remove them carefully with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip...good luck!

I'd just go with colored dot stickers on the bases matching the color of the control panel.

I don't suppose that a pilot would be too embarassed if another pilot came to the war wearing the same airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpopper View Post
    Hello everybody! Thanks for the info. I went over to the photo section, & checked out some of the repaints. Yeah, this looks good, gonna try some of that! Now for some more info. What kind of paint should I use? Should I use as a primer," that made for plastic" spray paint (fusion)? Should I give it a flat black primer, for a dark color, or a flat white primer for a brighter color? Do I have to remove original pant/decals? And how about the airplane's ID card? (the one that came with the mini) Can it be redrawn,or recolored? Where can I buy decals? Joe
    You can buy decals here on site from Keith. I usually use a white primer, Krylon from walmart. Many light coats is better than one heavy coat. If you are going to repaint a darker color gray primer would work. As for removing decals or painting over, your choice. I do not remove original paint. As for decals if they are painted on I leave them, if the are pasted(glued on) I would remove them. Any more question just ask and I will try to help.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Why do I now have a Sesame Street song running through my head...?

One of these planes is not like the others,
    One of these planes just doesn't belong....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Why do I now have a Sesame Street song running through my head...?

One of these planes is not like the others,
    One of these planes just doesn't belong....
    Better than the march that they used for the Monty Python theme song that usually plays in my head when we play! It has such an AIRY feel to it