Ares Games

Thread: Special Damage conundrum.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Default Special Damage conundrum.

A friend and I have been playing a few games of WoG now and enjoying it. However this, admittedly extreme, situation had us scratching our heads last night:

Fokker DR VII has Engine damage marked and is on fire too. It then takes two cards damage at close range; a left and right rudder damage result.

With the fire damage no straight moves can be planned, yet no left or right turns can be planned either, because of the two rudder damage cards. What should have been the correct way to deal with this.

Also this: The Fokker has short straight movement card that looks like a stall but is NOT marked as a steep manoeuvre. It looks very much like its an ordinary straight move. So can it be played as part of an Immelmann turn?

you can go straight while on fire, you just have to take an A card of damage as the slipstream causes the fire to consume your aircraft. in that situation the fokker DVII wouldve had to plot straights. being a fokker DVII it couldve plotted any combination of long straight, short straight, and stall allowed by its last plot and only taken and A card on the long straight.

the short straight is not legal for an immelmann (unless youre using the acrobatic pilot skill). im not sure if itd work for a split S if youre using altitude. i dont recall reading anything about it in the rules.

I think with that kind of luck pilot should have jumped

I would advise an overdive - stall, dive, straight - in an attempt to extinguish the flames.

After the dive you lose one level of altitude then another after the straight at which time you draw a B card and discard flame counters equal to the number on the card (WGF RAP pp. 15-16). In this instance you don't take extra damage from playing a straight as it is part of a dive manouvre.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-30-2016 at 04:18.

Yup, I think both above answers hit the nail. When on fire you cant plan a straight, if you have to play a straigh , due to rudders, tough luck, you take the a damage for incorrect card, and get out the bratties to cook.
    If you playing with alt. Then again the overdive is the manouvre to use.

when not using altitude we use a house rule of stall, straight, stall, for an "overdive".

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Good replies. So many thanks for all of them. It strikes me that I also need to move on from using the rules as found in the Duel Packs.

The forbidden "Straight" is any card with the tiny 'ahead' arrow next to the letter of the manoeuvre deck - only the three 'long' straights carry this icon.

Since the left/right rudder jams only last for one turn (one set of three planned cards) the fire situation is eminently survivable.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This has come up before Paul - this is what Andrea had to say on the matter:
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    ...If you have the rudder jammed in both direction, plan stalls or dives or climbs as much as you can (they are not straights). And then illegal moves: plan straights, or left/right cards - no matter which you will plan, they will be replaced with straights and inflict an A card of damage (or eliminate you if the optional rule is in use).
    If you have further conundrums have a quick look at the FAQ in the Rules sub-forum, you may find an answer there.
    Last edited by flash; 10-31-2016 at 07:36.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by redlancer38 View Post
    Good replies. So many thanks for all of them. It strikes me that I also need to move on from using the rules as found in the Duel Packs.
    My gut reaction was OVERDIVE! But then, I didn't realize you were limited by no altitude rules ... so, yes, stalls, illegal moves, bite the bullet and hope you survive!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

All very helpful. Much appreciated.

Similar Missions

1. Who plays without special damage?
    By Aero825 in forum Polls
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-25-2016, 16:12
  2. Special damage tokens
    By DGH in forum WGS: Rules Help