Ares Games

Thread: Games Expo 2017.

Default Games Expo 2017.

For the pilots who gave their all at Expo this year, here is the latest news on sponsorship for next year's event.

25th October 2016

Announcing the Sponsors for 2017

Earlier this month UK Games Expo travelled to Essen Spiel where we had 4 days of meetings with exhibitors and sponsors. We can confirm that UKGE 2017 will be bigger than ever. We have a lot to share with you in coming months. Today we kick things off, We are delighted to announce our Sponsors for 2017.

Major sponsors since 2012, and a large part of the impetus to move on and expand UKGE are Mayfair Games. Julie A. Yeager, Director of Marketing at Mayfair Games said "Mayfair Games is proud to continue our support of UKGE. Together, we are part of a great team, supporting a strong and growing U.K. gaming community through even more gaming opportunities for UKGE 2017!"

Another long term major sponsor are the dynamic miniatures company, Hawk Wargames. Louis of Hawk stated, "Hawk Wargames are proud to be a major sponsor of UK Games Expo 2017, one of the fastest growing and exciting Table-Top-Games shows in the world, and as a British Manufacturer we are fortunate and pleased to be a part of this great event."

Catan Studio said "Catan Studio ™ develops and publishes Catan® games—the world’s preeminent analog game brand. We look to nurture the Catan community as it grows. Attending UK Games Expo, home of the UK's largest Catan championships, as major sponsors is part of this strategy."

Nobby and Hammy, owners of Daventry games store Battlefield Hobbies, are delighted to be sponsoring UK Games Expo for a second year. They commented: “UK Games Expo is incredibly important to the hobby gaming industry and the community, and we as gamers have enjoyed watching it grow from its humble beginnings in 2007 to the major and significant show it has developed into today. Now as a store, and a sponsor, UKGE is a great fit for Battlefield Hobbies as we share the same philosophy of being gamers first and foremost, who embrace all genres. Having exhibited for the first time last year we had a lot of fun and learned some valuable lessons, and we look forward to heading back in 2017 firing on all cylinders!”

Geeknsons produce high quality gaming tables. John of Geeknsons commented "Geeknson are proud to be part of the biggest shows all around the world, UKGE is one of them"

Many figure gamers will recognise Osprey Publishing as the publishers of huge range of military history uniform, history and campaign books. Their game publication branch, Osprey Games is now showing as much attention to detail and quality in game production.
    Joseph McCullough, Games Marketing Manager at Osprey Games explained, "As a British-based publisher of board games and wargames, including the new edition of Escape from Codlitz, Osprey Games is devoted to promoting gaming across the country. For that reason, we are excited to sponsor UK Games Expo to help ensure the continuation of this great event that has become the number one pilgrimage destination for UK gamers!"
    These then are our three major sponsors and three associate sponsors for 2017. Their participation is greatfully recieved and will help continue to build the UK's Biggest and Best Hobby Games Convention.
    The UKGE Team
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Will have to put this one down, for next year, in the diary.
    See you on the Dark Side......

That looks to be a great day out.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Try weekend. 2nd-4th June 2017.

Do we have a table or two pencilled in for this (Boney)? I'm in for WGS... (WGF if pushed)

I spoke to one of the organisers last weekend at Reading. He was keen for us to be there again, the intention is to contact them early next week to get us in again. I will ask if we can have three tables if we have the people to man and do all three games. As soon as I get an answer from the organisers Ill let everyone know.
    Last year the organisation was sadly lacking for us, one half knew we were coming, but nothing was there to assist us, ie tables .
    Despite that , I personally really enjoyed the weekend and look forward to same again in 2017

All things being equal count me in for all 3 days

If I'm not out of the country again - I would certainly be up for this, bit of a road trip with an overnight thrown in - good excuse to sink several beers in good company, I shall start searching for decent pubs in the area.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    If I'm not out of the country again - I would certainly be up for this, bit of a road trip with an overnight thrown in - good excuse to sink several beers in good company, I shall start searching for decent pubs in the area.
    The Little Owl looks good and there is a Weatherspoons close buy = lots of good beers at decent prices

I could be persuaded to do this one again, but only if the organisers get their act together, and:

1) List our presence on the Participation Games list, and mark exactly WHERE WE ARE LOCATED, on the map in the A4 leaflet, instead of just treating us as though we were not there at all.
    2) Actually provide TABLES!!!!!!
    3) and provide chairs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4) Tell the Jobsworths on the doors to actually let us in at the time we all agreed we would be let in! - not make us park illegally outside the building and hoof all our stuff in a bit at a time!

The show itself was a good'un, but the organisation was an utter shambles.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I agree wholeheartedly Tim.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I could be persuaded to do this one again, but only if the organisers get their act together, and:

1) List our presence on the Participation Games list, and mark exactly WHERE WE ARE LOCATED, on the map in the A4 leaflet, instead of just treating us as though we were not there at all.
    2) Actually provide TABLES!!!!!!
    3) and provide chairs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4) Tell the Jobsworths on the doors to actually let us in at the time we all agreed we would be let in! - not make us park illegally outside the building and hoof all our stuff in a bit at a time!

The show itself was a good'un, but the organisation was an utter shambles.
    So it all went well then?
    Last edited by Guntruck; 11-25-2016 at 14:22.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

lol, awesome how a show's organisers can stuff things up in such spectacular fashion - only in the UK

Received an email from the organisers asking if we wanted to attend this year, I have said yes and have asked for two tables , WW1 and Sails, with a possible third for WW2.
    If we get these, set up ready this time and I can get better set up times, who would be willing to attend and assist over the three days?
    They are quite long days and it can be hard, but enjoyable. The show itself in my opinion is excellent.
    So who is up for three days of Wings/Sails gaming ?

Not sure I can do all three due to family holiday commitments - but I will see what I can do

I'm certainly up for at least one if I can scrounge a lift.
    Rob.

Apologies if I gave the wrong impression here, the vollunteers are for any of the three days not just people for all three days.

Myself and F.a.D. will be there for Saturday and Sunday; anything but SoG.

Excellent Simon, Ill confirm the three tables then so you can put on your BoB, if you dont mind of course

I may be able to do a day. Will know closer to the time

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Excellent Simon, Ill confirm the three tables then so you can put on your BoB, if you dont mind of course
    Wilco

I'll have a word with SWMBO, I know she would like to see the EXPO, not sure if I have a big enough wheelbarrow for all the IOUs though

Lest we forget

Am I reading the show details correctly? Not only do you have to purchase a Ticket to get in but you then have to buy another Ł4 ticket as a Show Game participant!

Hi Reg, as a punter, I believe so, that will be an entrance fee to get in the door, then you may have to pay to play in some of the games that are available. Not sure as it did not and will not affect us.
    The show will work the same as others we attend, we will get complimentary entrance tickets for each table, depending on names ill shuffle around so each table has helpers for each day

Looking forward to seeing you chaps there again.

Right, "Last Chance Saloon"

I'm in for all three days, but if they bollox it up again, like they have for the last two years, then this will be my last time.

im in 100% for Saturday and Sunday and probably Friday but not 100% on that one! see you there chaps!

Depending on operations and rehab I might make the Sunday. If I do I will let you know closer to the day.

It would be great to see you there, Neil, but don't push yourself too hard.

Ok chaps, have just received a mail from the organisers of the show.
    Space for demo wargames are not being offered again this year after all. I have had a quick scan through the mail but want to read more in depth.

The upshot though is strike Games Expo off your calendars, despite having a mail on Sunday saying yes to the tables today it seems all gone.
    I shall post again once I got the full gist it seems though that there have been some issues with demo games showing off products for some traders free, like we do, and some traders who pay for advertising. The ones who pay have got upset.

However is anyone interested in going to this show as a punter as we may have some free tickets.
    More of this anon but as of this afternoon Games Expo is toast
    Last edited by Boney10; 03-21-2017 at 11:48.

That's a shame Chris, but thanks for putting your time and effort into organizing it for us anyway.
    Their loss not ours!
    Rob.

That's a shame, Rob nailed it though.

"He is wise who watches"

Damn.

Thanks for trying to sort it for us, Chris.
    Just hope I can cancel my hotel reservation without penalty.

Thanks for the hard work you have done both last year and this in getting this up and running. After the success of last year, venue organisational efforts withstanding, as Rob stated, their loss not ours.

Bugger... was looking forward to this again this year nevermind aye, cheers for your effort Chris!

Having perused this website I have found that for the first time the BHGS championship has moved to Games Expo for the first time. Table Top Wargaming is beng offered as a 2 day competition in a variety of eras, for which you will pay the princely sum of Ł8 for a 1 day event and Ł16 for a 2 day event (All evetns so far are being offered as 2 day competitions).

BHGS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    BHGS ?
    British Historical Games Society
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

After a few more mails and reading through the initial mail I can say that participation games , like ours, are no longer being allowed at the games expo, not this year or in the future.
    From now on all games presented will be sponsored either by a games company or a trader or some such who will be charging for the session. This is why we have been cut.

However We have been offered some free entry tickets which I can offer first to last years participants. If you attended Expo last year and would like to attend as a punter this year, pm me which day you would like to go.
    Once last years members have had their chance I can put out any extras to other uk members.
    Now the bad news, I need to know by Saturday this week if last years members want a ticket.
    On Sunday I will offer tickets if any left and I will need requests for tickets by Tuesday lunch next week.

That's a shame Chris, its a great show. I will be going anyway. So just need to book my ticket and take out a mortgage

Ok no takers from last year, any one after a ticket for a day pass, I have 4 available to allocate, on a first come basis, drop me a pm with your full name, which day and Ill order the ticket on Tuesday.

Similar Missions

1. 3rd-5th June: Games Expo, Birmingham NEC.
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-09-2016, 09:31
  2. UK Games Expo, Wings made it to the T-shirt.
    By AlgyLacey in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 23:32
  3. Games Expo 2015 Birmingham 29 to 31 May
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-07-2015, 03:27
  4. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 11:00
  5. UK Games Expo 2013
    By Cobra in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 1