Ares Games

Thread: OTT BE Mission 5 - The Gifts That Keep On Giving - 1st January 1918

Default OTT BE Mission 5 - The Gifts That Keep On Giving - 1st January 1918

OTT Bitter End Mission 5
    The Gifts That Keep On Giving - 1st January 1918
    Throughout the winter of 1917 / 18, instruction had been given, to officers of infantry and artillery, of varying ranks, in the technique of co-operation between aircraft and those other arms. Our squadron had hosted a member of No.6 Squadron, whose job it was to hold a series of four day courses, for 24 officers at a time, on that very subject. Whilst our pilots had had the pleasure of flying the students around, thankfully behind the lines, to give them first hand experience of the war as seen from the air. In addition, we had just received a memorandum from G.H.Q clearly stating the expected employment of the RFC, in defence, in relation to the enemy preparations for an attack. It stated: “the Royal Flying Corps is to interfere with them. The means available are:
    (a) Co-operation with our artillery, the activity of which will probably be increased at this stage.
    (b) Extensive bombing attacks …....
    (c) An energetic offensive against the enemy's aviation …......”
    The point being – what the hell were we doing acting as postmen for the enemy!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wwixsb03d_medium.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	210238

Name:	74411378.30.jpg 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	210239

“Mornin' Sir, fine mornin' wouldn't yer say?”
    “Beautiful Segeant, I agree. Bit parky though. Damned freezing actually. I do wish this infernal snow would go away and let us get on with the ruddy war.”
    “Odd thing to be doin' though, sir! Returning unwanted gifts to the enemy.”
    “Perhaps Sergeant, but the word is the hun are getting ready for one mighty push. So flying over their lines might just be a reconnaisance opportunity. Agreed?”
    “Still, odd though, giving gifts back! I was talking to a mate of mine back along and it was the sort of thing they did in 'is family. Don't know what part of the world he hailed from, but he called it getting rid of “mathoms”. Never heard that word before nor since. Have you sir?”
    “Can't say I have old chap, but I'll tell you what! Sounds just the ticket for a pal of mine. Author chappie I met up at Oxford, before the war! Wants to write some strange book about elves I think. Just the kind of word he might incorporate in that kind of literary work, I shouldn't be surprised!
    Anyway, time to go old chap. You ready?”
    “Oh yes sir; got me woolies on an' all! Let's be 'avin 'em eh!”

With that, Lt Alex Clarke and his observer, Sergeant Alan Davis, set off for the umpteenth time together, accompanied by two SE5a's for cover, to drop a small number of unwanted parcels over the nearest enemy aerodrome. An aerodrome that had appeared only recently, much to their consternation!
    “Did you 'ear sir. Young Willy's wife just 'ad a baby?”
    “Is that 2nd Lt William Rhodes-Moorhouse you're referring to Sergeant? Yes, I heard! It worries me a bit. I hope he's going to concentrate fully on the job today. The celebrations last night left him pretty blotto you know! Had to be towed away to his bunk and left there fully kitted up! I think Lt Medlicott took care of him and he wasn't in any fit state himself either! So we could be in for a bit of a dodgy trip if the hun are about!”

Meanwhile, the “hun” referred to, rather disparagingly, were indeed about. Busily preparing for the big push that everyone knew was coming. In fact, it was so imminent and so important, that some of the new airfields had been placed dangerously close to the front line, to enable the flying boys to give the real fighters on the ground a bit of cover!

Name:	BE5 11.jpg 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	210240

Name:	BE5 10.jpg 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	210241

“Mein Gott, “real fighters?” I would like to see some of them up there jeden tag und see how long they lasted!
    “Ja mein Herr” replied Fritz. “Aber, It seems we are in a bit of a mood on this beautiful day!”
    “You are, of course, correct, as always, mein freund. I think, though, that it is because I do not like being this close to the front line. It seems so unnecessary.”
    “Agreed, Wilhelm. And whose verdammt stupid idea was it to parachute all those supplies over the lines at Weinachten? Most of which ended up with those Gott forsaken Tommies! The same damned fools that placed uns here. But “Theirs not to reason why”, mein Herr, to quote one of their rather more banal poets!”
    “There is nothing banal about Tennyson, mein freund. In fact in our case he was right - “Someone hath blundered!”
    They both laughed, but it was a mirthless laugh. The matter really lacked humour.
    “We are down for todays morning patrol” said Obltn Wilhelm Habich, rather more formally. “Go and tell Parschau to ready himself and Albert Fitzler, the new boy, can stand by if we need him!”
    “Jawohl Oberleutnant” and Ltn Fritz Brünig trotted off without further comment, to see that his friend's orders were carried out to the letter.
    Habich wandered over to the hangers. “Ah! Schmidt” he addressed one of the mechanics. “Which of our aircraft are servicable today?”
    “All of them, Herr Oberleutnant”

Name:	BE5 7.jpg 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	210242

“Good. Then Leutnants Brünig and Parschau will be taking two of the Albatros DVa's out on patrol, and I want another Albatros prepared for Ltn Fitzler, just in case. Myself, I am not yet fully confident that the necessary modifications to the Dr1 have been completed successfully, so I shall take one of them up to test it. By myself! The red one over there will do!”
    “Is that wise Herr Oberleutnant? What if something happens to you?”
    “Then I doubt I shall know much about it and some other poor swine will be appointed to take my place Schmidt! Nicht war? Now, it is hardly your place to advise me on my job, so please, prepare the Fokker for take off in ten minutes. After we have left, bring out the remaining Fokkers. We shall put each one to the test this afternoon if things remain quiet.”

So it was, that some time later that morning, in early January 1918, in a bright clear sky and temperatures at ground level near freezing, six aircraft found themselves being piloted high above a landscape still covered by a near pristine blanket of snow. All, oddly enough, heading for the same destination. Three Entente aircraft (two scouts and a two seater) on the one hand. Three Central Powers scouts on the other. Bitter enemies for the past four years, they had been contesting this air space hotly and now Obltn Wilhelm Habich, returning from his apparently successful test flight, could see three aircraft bearing down on his airfield where, according to his orders, a line of Fokkers awaited his pleasure, now looking distinctly vulnerable. The aircraft that he had recognised were those of his enemies.

Name:	BE5 13.jpg 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	210243

Name:	BE5 12.jpg 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	210244

They must have spotted him, because at that precise moment two aircraft, both of them SE5s peeled off from their course. One heading for him, the other in the opposite direction, towards another newcomer to this play, one of his own by the looks of things.

Name:	BE5 14.jpg 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	210245

Sure enough, both 2nd Lt Harry Medlicott and 2nd Lt “Willy” Rhodes-Moorhouse, neither of them demonstrating the least side effects of the previous evening's revelry, had spotted the approaching huns. To the south, Harry saw a tri plane flying in fast and he immediately peeled off to engage. “Willy” had also been keeping a wary eye open, twisting his head this way and that constantly, in an effort not to be caught out by some enemy scout lying in ambush in the clear skies above him. He spotted an Albatros sneaking up on his right shoulder, possibly even two; he couldn't be sure! Immediately he pulled the joystick hard over to starboard.

Name:	BE5 17.jpg 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	210246

Name:	BE5 15.jpg 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	210247

So, the play resumed, the music introducing the actors in the same old fashion, the dialogue unchanged – Up went the curtain! Daka daka daka daka, daka daka daka daka, accompanied by the scream of over worked engines. SE5 v Albatros (SE5 Moorhouse 3+1 damage; Albatros DVa Brünig 1+4+smoke damage); SE5 v Fokker Dr1 (SE5 Medlicott 0 damage; Dr1 Habich 0 damage), dancing their ways with pirouettes and diving curtsies; circling gracefully in their deadly courtship across the snow lit stage; the actors with gritted teeth, concentrating totally for their part, terrified they might forget their lines; the audience below mesmerised by the drama. Except for Ltn Albert Fitzler, of course, who stubbed out his cigarette in the slush beneath his feet and ran / stumbled / squelshed his way towards his own Albatros as quickly as he could. He would take off and circle round behind these verdammt Englanders, hopefully cutting off their retreat.
    Meanwhile, our Entente supporting “Brisfit”, quite capable of looking after itself, of course, continued on its' way towards the aerodrome below.
    “Now!” Shouted Clarke and Alan Davis heaved the cumbersome package, parachute and all, over the side.
    “Over she goes!” Davis shouted back. “Can we get the 'ell out of 'ear now sir? Seems like the 'ornets have woken up an' I don't fancy getting stung just for a pile of unwanted blo**y presents, sir!”
    “We'll lend a hand to the others first, sergeant! This is a war, remember!”
    “Sorry sir!”

Name:	BE5 16.jpg 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	210248

Name:	BE5 20.jpg 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	210249

Daka daka daka daka, daka daka daka daka continued the orchestra as “Willy” discovered he was correct and a second Albatros (that of Ltn Kurt Parschau, although he was not to know that) appeared before him, the twinkling blasts of its two 7.92mm Spandau LMG 08/15 fixed, forward-firing synchronized machine guns threatening to cut short his personal performance! (SE5 Moorhouse 3 damage).

Name:	BE5 21.jpg 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	210250

Name:	BE5 23.jpg 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	210251

Time seemed to slow to a breathless pace for the actors on both sides – at least, for the scout pilots. The surrounding blue sky bathed them in a serene moment, mixing fear with excitement in equal proportions. The smoke trailing from one of the Albatros contestants marked the pattern of its' movement. The others flew nonchalently in circles, each seeking a partner to play with.
    Daka daka daka daka, daka daka daka daka – Oberleutnant Habich had flushed his prey, which suddenly appeared in front of him, coming from the direction of his aerodrome. “A Bristol F2B – a formidable opponent” he thought as he fired. Daka daka daka daka, barked his guns, adding to the sound of angry metal zipping past him from behind, collecting odd bits of red wood and fabric on the way,(Bristol Clarke / Davis 2 damage; Fokker Dr1 Habich 3 damage – hit by SE5 + own guns jammed). Inevitably, someone had to suffer the indignity of jammed guns. On this occasion it was Habich, who aggresively smashed away at the useless tool before him, on which his life depended. “Why, oh why, are we up here in these freezing conditions?” Daka daka daka daka – phut phut zip phut, this from bullets tearing their way towards him from the guns of an SE5 that had managed to get on his tail.

But the SE5 was stalked in its turn. Kurt Parschau was now a more experienced pilot and spotting his leader's plight, gave support, albeit at long range. Anything to distract the attention of the SE5 pilot away from Habich. Daka daka daka daka, he fired in short bursts, but sadly, from his perspective, with no effect (SE5 Medlicott damage 0).
    Then came near disaster as he suddenly found himself heading straight towards another SE5. He and “Willy” Rhodes-Moorhouse, recently bestowed with paternal obligations, flashed past one another, both screaming at the tops of their voices and no doubt depositing the contents of their bowels in their flying suits. How they conceived an avoidance strategy, in those micro seconds, can only be explained as the result of an enormous injection of adrenalin into both bodies. For avoid one another they did! (Collision – SE5 Moorhouse / Albatros DVa Parschau – damage 0 / 0).

Name:	BE5 22.jpg 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	210252

Name:	BE5 25.jpg 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	210253

Harry Medlicott, meanwhile, was enjoying the fact that, for a change, he was on the tail of a Fokker Dr1 and a red one to boot. “Is this the dreaded “you know who”?” the thought flashed through his sub- conscious mind. He had a “thing” about that particular person, which made him see the same colour as his adversary's tri-plane. “But surely not! The circus was in a totally different sector! What would he be doing here?” Just the same, he determined to hang on to this chap's tail for all he was worth.

Name:	BE5 26.jpg 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	210254

Name:	BE5 28.jpg 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	210255

Which, of course, is why he not only missed with his next burst of fire, but also why he too had a very narrow escape; almost colliding with Clarke in the “Brisfit”. The latter had been fired upon by the Dr1 so Clarke had done the conventional thing and turned towards his opponent, allowing his observer, Alan Davis, the chance of giving the little red monster a quick burst with his 7.7mm Lewis machine gun. Fortunately, for the Entente players in this mini-drama, Davis did not miss. In fact he succeeded in hitting something important and immediately fire broke out somewhere on the Fokker. But now it was Davis's turn to express his rather more impolite views on the subject of guns jamming in the freezing conditions. His language was not that of a gentleman, so the reader(s) will be spared the expletives on the grounds that the author is aware of how sensitive you may be and that you would never dream of using such language yourself : ). Just the same, Sergeant Davis was feeling a trifle cock-a-hoop, seeing the flames and smoke billowing picturesquely from the back of the enemy aircraft!
    “Take that you blighter” he shouted, rather over-dramatically (Have you ever read “The art of course acting”? I think he has). Anyway, a bit of an emotional fellow I think you'll grant. Sorry about that!
    But wait a minute! What's that noise? Did I hear a “Boom”? Oh no, not again! This is becoming a bad habit. As an unashamed Bulldog, not for the first time, I reach the point where I am feeling contentedly smug at the Entente's succesful progress in the mission, when all of a sudden everything starts to go wrong again, with a loud boom noise to herald the moment.
    Yep. Once again the allies have drawn the first Boom card of the day!

Name:	BE5 29.jpg 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	210256

Name:	BE5 30.jpg 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	210257

It would appear that young “Willy” Rhodes-Moorhouse's days as a father, might be rather short lived! We shall have to wait and see what message his commanding officer needs to write to his young wife and new born child! So what happened? Having successfully avoided a disastrous collision situation, over brimming with adrenalin and likely smelling none too sweetly, our “Willy” has flown right down the throat of another Albatros; this time flown by Ltn Fritz Brünig. The subsequent exchange of fire was interesting, up to a point. That point being the moment that the SE5 exploded. Before that the SE5 had only received a glancing blow but in return had hit Brünig's Albatros pretty severely, setting it, too, on fire and damaging its' engine. But no time to gloat! “Boom” it was; so what remained of the SE5 tumbled from the sky. However, we live in hope! Things were happening so quickly up there, that nobody had time to take more than a gasp of shocked air, before their desire to avoid a similar fate fetched them back to the real world of flying, fighting and killing for a living! So nobody knows “Willy's” fate, as yet! (SE5 Moorhouse – damage 1 + Boom; Albatros DVa Brünig – damage 3 + engine damage + 2 + fire – Brünig gets 1 kill).

In the interim, Lt Alexander Clarke had made the sensible decision that, having successfully, he hopes, rid himself of his sack of nonsence over the enemy aerodrome, it was time to get the hell out of there and head for the barn and a nice cup of tea. But there was still work to do before that happy outcome might be accomplished. Ahead, twixt himself and his destination, flew two enemy aircraft. Still having to listen to a string of expletive deletives, coming from the extraordinarily versitile vocabulary store belonging to his Sergeant observer, continuing his efforts to unjam his Lewis machine gun, Clarke set course then focused on his own Vickers machine gun.

Name:	BE5 34.jpg 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	210258

Name:	BE5 35.jpg 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	210259

Daka daka daka daka – “Damn, missed!”. Lt Kurt Parschau had presented a nice neat, but rapidly moving target, flying in a direct line right across his nose! At such long range, the shot was always going to be difficult, but he was disappointed never-the-less!
    Daka daka daka daka – phew phut ping zang and with that his left rudder went slack. The second Albatross had caught him a glancing but significant blow. With luck, though, it wouldn't matter. He was heading in a straght line for home!

2nd Ltn Harold (Harry) Medlicott, meantime, was still determined to get his man. The one in that infernal red triplane! Unknown to our Harry, he was about to be ably assisted by the now long gone Sergeant Davis, whose bullets had hit something vital on the Fokker that was still blazing and looked to be in trouble. (Fokker Dr1 Habich – damage from Fire 5 + 2 from SE5 ; SE5 gun jams)

Name:	BE5 31.jpg 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	210260

Name:	BE5 32.jpg 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	210261

Daka daka daka daka went the familiar tune, then bonk – nothing. “Hell and damnation” another case of guns jamming. Fortunately, he was able to keep on his enemy's tail all the while he smashed and bashed and thumped away, until the gun freed up again, enough for one more quick burst. Round and round in circles, following the Fokker, until Daka daka daka daka – and down he went!

Name:	BE5 36.jpg 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	210262

Name:	BE5 39.jpg 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	210263

Thump, into the snow. Very close to home, so every chance that the pilot, whoever he was, would make it safely from that little pile of Fokker. But it was an enemy down that he wouldn't have to deal with again today. That evened up the game a bit, after what happened to young “Willy”! Or did it? ( Fokker Dr1 Habich – damage 2 and now shot down: SE5 Medlicott gets 1 kill).

What was happening with the “Brisfit” and the two Albatros scouts? Almost at the same time as Harry Medlicott shot down his Fokker, Sergeant Alan Davis in the “Brisfit” was about to make a name for himself. With his left rudder now slack and useless, Lt Clarke flew the “Brisfit” straight ahead. The two Albatros scouts tried to get behind him, but this gave Sergeant Davis his chance. Still boiling over with the anger he had felt whilst unjamming his guns, he focused all of it on one of the two and fired an angry burst at long range. “Boom” blam, flash, crash! The enemy plane exploded!

Name:	BE5 40.jpg 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	210264

Name:	BE5 42a.jpg 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	210265

(Albatros DVa Brünig – Boom: Bristol F2B Sergeant Davis gets 1 kill).

It was at this moment that the new boy, Ltn Albert Fitzler, finally made his appearance. Having managed to fly right around the entire action, he now approached from the very direction the Entente planes wanted to depart. In one sense he had succeeded in positioning himself to cut off their retreat, but sadly, for him, it was a case of too little, too late. And it almost cost him dear! He was taken aback to witness the destruction of his colleague's Albatros, but immediately opened fire on the Englander assailant, hitting him pretty hard. The inevitable reply was almost worse as Fitzler felt a searing pain rip through him. Welcome to the fray, new boy! (Bristol F2B Clarke – damage 4: Albatros DVa Fitzler – damage 3 + pilot wounded).

The rest is pretty much history!

Name:	BE5 42b.jpg 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	210266

Name:	BE5 42c.jpg 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	210267

Name:	BE5 43.jpg 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	210268

Name:	BE5 47.jpg 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	210269

Fitzler attempted to join the only other remaining Albatros in an effort to trap the SE5 of 2nd Lt Medlicott. Alan Davis took a pot shot at him as he past, but missed and the attempt to trap Medlicott proved futile. There was a brief exchange between Medlicott and Parschau, which did little damage, following which the British pilot successfully got on Parschau's tail, beat him up a bit, only to experience the final gun jam of the day! C'est la vie! (Albatros DVa Parschau – damage 4: SE5 Medlicott – guns jam)He chased Parschau all the way back towards the British trench line. Fitzler never managed to even come close to giving support and made his way home again, back to the barn or whatever they called it.

Name:	BE5 49.jpg 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	210270

Name:	BE5 50.jpg 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	210271

As for Ltn Kurt Parschau – he broke away before he got himself into too much trouble and he too headed back home. Leaving Harry Medlicott, still bashing away merrily on his jammed guns, to sail off into the sunset!

Mission accomplished!

The End

And just to put your mind at rest : ) Nobody died! Good result huh!

OTT Mission 5 – The Gifts That Keep On Giving - 1st January 1918
    Butcher's Bill
    Entente

Name:	BE5 56.jpg 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	210272
    Lt Alex Clarke / RTB / No Kills / all well
    Sgt Alan Davis / RTB / 1 Kill / all well
    Made one successful drop.

Name:	BE5 54.jpg 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	210273
    2nd Lt Harold (Harry) Medlicott / RTB / one Kill / all well

Name:	BE5 55.jpg 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	210274
    2nd Lt William (Willy) Rhodes-Moorhouse / EXP ET / No Kills.
    Roll 2D6 = 6+1 = 7 -3 EXP = 4 Injured – skip 1D6 Scenarios. Roll
    4 = Skip 4 Scenarios.
    Escape & Evasion
    Roll 2D6 = 5 + 6 = 11 – 1 Boom -1 Wounded in crash – 1 ET = 8
    Landed almost home – skip 1 scenarios
    Total outcome – skip 4 scenarios.

Central Powers

Name:	BE5 57.jpg 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	210275
    Obltn Wilhelm Habich / SD FT / 0 Kills.
    Roll 2D6 = 3 + 6 = 9 -1 SD = 8 Injured – skip 1D2 scenario.
    Roll 4 = Skip 2 scenarios

NB. The pic shows a 5 damage WIA card. The WIA was ignored (fire
    damage)

Name:	BE5 58.jpg 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	210276
    Ltn Fritz Brünig / EXP FT / One Kill.
    Roll 2D6 = 6+4= 10 -3 EXP = 7 Injured – skip 1D2 scenarios.
    Roll 5 = Skip 2 scenarios

Name:	BE5 60.jpg 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	210277
    Ltn Kurt Parschau / RTB / No kills/ All well

Name:	BE5 59.jpg 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	210278
    Ltn Albert Fitzler / RTB / WIA / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 5 + 5 = 10 – 1 WIA + 3 RTB = 12. All is well

Victory points
    Entente:

Scouts downed x 2 2 pts

Central Powers:
    Scout downed x 1 1 pt

Finally, a quick note to say that I used the D8 movement charts for this one and found the results far more sensible, with few ambiguities. Many thanks for those.
    Once again I did not use altitude. No time and still not confident using them solo. I shall get round to it eventually.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by flash; 10-24-2016 at 23:39. Reason: Title adjust

PS By way of acknowledgement. My source for some of the opening statements is :
    The War In The Air - Being the Story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force, Vol. IV by H.A.Jones. Pub. Oxford at the Clarendon Press 1934. Accessed by a free website: "archive.org"
    Cheers,
    Mike

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Really enjoyed this one. Nice mix of light humor and war.

Nicely done, Mike.
    Enjoyed the banter as much as the action.
    Seems you got my BOOM cards this time.
    (I forgot to mention in my own AAR that I didn't get any for once)

Again I really like your 3D scenery - much more exciting to look at.
    I also liked the way you utilized the Wings of War pilot boards for your Butcher's pictures.
    REP incoming ...

Well done Mike, another superb and engaging AAR, terrific scenics

Uncle Says:

Well done old chap, thanks for taking the time to present the Tally correctly, makes my job much easier. There'll be a clutch of wound badges for those Eagles and a Pilots badge for that Johnny that knocked young Rhodes-Moorehouse down.
    For our side Mr Clarke will receive a MC and Davis will receive the MM for their service over the trenches & a crate of beers will be heading to the sergeants mess for his first victory.
    I've also just noticed that Cpl Douglas is incorrectly dressed - for combined missions and his first kill last time out he is awarded the MM & promoted to Sgt. More beer for the Mess now the M.O. has released him fit for duty.

"He is wise who watches"

Impressive from the first banter to the last photograph of your superb landscape.
    Thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable read once again Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Re
    Well done old chap, thanks for taking the time to present the Tally correctly, makes my job much easier. There'll be a clutch of wound badges for those Eagles and a Pilots badge for that Johnny that knocked young Rhodes-Moorehouse down.
    For our side Mr Clarke will receive a MC and Davis will receive the MM for their service over the trenches & a crate of beers will be heading to the sergeants mess for his first victory.
    I've also just noticed that Cpl Douglas is incorrectly dressed - for combined missions and his first kill last time out he is awarded the MM & promoted to Sgt. More beer for the Mess now the M.O. has released him fit for duty.
    Well thank you kindly Uncle. I'm sure all the lads will be thoroughly delighted (and three sheets to the wind after all the beer). Here's to the Bulldogs and here's to the Eagles too "hic!"

Thumbs up

What a fantastic AAR Mike!
    Not only a super well written story with humour & drama but a great 3D gaming mat.
    I really enjoyed reading that one.
    Glad to see young Willie survived to see his new baby & he will have time with his wound leave to get home to Blighty to visit mum & offspring.

Rep inbound!

Enthralling as always Mike and a pleasure visually and narratively . Well done.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Many thanks for all of the kind comments chaps - very much appreciated. I enjoy the missions a lot and writing them up is something I am surprised that I enjoy so much. Cheers one and all

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTBE Mission 5, 1 January 1918, Gifts That Keep on Giving (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-30-2016, 23:14
  2. AAR OTTBE Mission 5 - Gifts That Keep on Giving - 1 January 1918
    By BB401 in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 22:36
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 17:03
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-23-2016, 23:35
  5. Replies: 13