Ares Games

Thread: Ancestry!

Smile Ancestry!

For Fathers Day my eldest daughter Jennifer-Anne sent me an Ancestry DNA kit.
    Now with a name like Hickson & major English genes on my fathers side I was expecting over 50% to be that but NO to my surprise 58% showed up as Irish!
    Now I know the Hicksons had a big presence in Ireland so I guess some interbreeding must have occurred.
    My grandmother on Mums side was a Houlihan so I knew there was some Irish to be expected.

I would be interested to know if any other Forumites have had this test too & would like to post their results?

Image of results attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ancestery result.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	209729

Yer a descendant of convicts, Baz - that explains it!

My wife did it but I haven't.
    At least not yet.

Fascinating subject isn't it. Must do this.
    'Senior management' has been doing her family tree over the last couple of years and it's been very interesting.
    To start with - her maternal great grandmother was Irish, her grandmother was born in Cleveland, Ohio, her mother was born in Canada, she was born in England. We are truly a mongrel breed !

"He is wise who watches"

My wife is a member of the Guild of One Named Studies (GOONS for short ) for her maiden name. She has done her DNA test, as have other sharing her surname but not directly related - and the degree of overlap between them all has been quite a surprise.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Yer a descendant of convicts, Baz - that explains it!

My wife did it but I haven't.
    At least not yet.
    Haven't found any Convicts in the Bloodline yet mate but there could be some lurking in the Houlihan side.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Fascinating subject isn't it. Must do this.
    'Senior management' has been doing her family tree over the last couple of years and it's been very interesting.
    To start with - her maternal great grandmother was Irish, her grandmother was born in Cleveland, Ohio, her mother was born in Canada, she was born in England. We are truly a mongrel breed !
    I thought you were a "Bulldog" Dave.

My family ancestors were so poor we could not afford genes . . .

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    My family ancestors were so poor we could not afford genes . . .

Mrs K had Irish Grand Parents although her Dad was born in Wales.
    Mine are Part Scots, part Norman French, with a bit of Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire thrown in for good measure.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Haven't found any Convicts in the Bloodline yet mate but there could be some lurking in the Houlihan side.
    There certainly could Baz... http://www.convictrecords.com.au/con...maurice/109119 , http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimac...onvictId=26823
    http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/fro...9;s%20land.pdf

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Thanks for those links Dave.
    I will have to check my daughters Family History Webpage. She certainly would have "wrinkled" out any Convict Houlihans in the bloodlines.
    I will check & advise.

Yeah, I'm sure she would've spotted any, interesting search parameter though !

"He is wise who watches"

I never checked it, but by looking at me and some family photos and knowing family history, some ideas could occur :-)
    I remember I've seen, as a kid, young Omar Sharif's photo in family album. Only that was no actor, but my grandpa :-) On the other hand, grand grandma (grandma's side) had typical Slavic complexion, very pale skin, blond eyes and pale blond hair. That's on mother's side. Father's side are all dark haired and dark eyed people, with one or two exceptions. So, I'm definitely some mixed-breed.

Similar Missions

1. WW1 Ancestry Investigation Hints & Tips.
    By Tonx in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2016, 15:44