Ares Games

Thread: Tailing query

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Default Tailing query

I'm new to the forum so first of all let me say a quick thanks for letting me join. I'm fairly new to the game. The simple but elegant rules and the WW1 aesthetics drew me to it and I've played a few times now. However, I have the inevitable newbie question and it concerns "tailing". On my reading, the WoG rule-book doesn't seem to be clear on this. So my question is; does the line to determine tailing have to pass from the centre, through the front edge of the tailing plane, through the rear of the tailed plane to its centre. Or does the line just have to cut the front of the tailing plane and, likewise, cut the rear of the tailed base? Hope this makes sense and apologies if this has been asked before.

Hi Paul, welcome to the 'Drome!

I follow your first example; peg-to-peg (minis) or red dot-to-red dot (cards), cutting through both the chasing plane's front edge and the fleeing plane's rear edge.
    If anyone plays it differently, then I haven't encountered them!

Good luck with your tailgating!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

I follow your first example; peg-to-peg (minis) or red dot-to-red dot (cards), cutting through both the chasing plane's front edge and the fleeing plane's rear edge.

Paul, welcome to the 'drome! And thanks for asking the question, yet again (I'm sure).

Tim, thanks for the answer.

I have avoided using the 'Tailing' rule, cause I couldn't figure it out. The instructions weren't clear enough for me, and I was obviously trying to make it more difficult than it was.

NOW, I understand it. In the future, I will be watching for this more carefully, now that I'm much clearer on the concept. It really isn't that complicated.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Tim that clarifies the issue.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Mike I think it adds a unique dimension to the game.

welcome to the drome Paul!!! i avoid using tailing as written because, for the most part, re arranging my plotted cards after seeing the 1st card of the fleeing aircrafts plot would more than likely do more harm than good. been toying with the idea of using it like the old blue max game. after the fleeing a/c has plotted. they secretly indicate right, left or straight to the tailing aircraft BEFORE they plot. havent really had the opportunity to try play testing it though.

I've only managed to tail someone TWICE in all the games I have played (and I have never been tailed myself!).

If it happens, enjoy it - it might never happen again.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

As Tim says, tailing is a rare event. I have only done it a couple times myself in all my flying career. Enjoy it while you can!

You can also 'tail' a friendly aircraft in order to avoid collisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    You can also 'tail' a friendly aircraft in order to avoid collisions.
    Interesting, I've never thought of that!

I have had the opportunity to tail a couple of times, and I got some extra shots on the enemy aircraft as a result. Its an interesting dynamic, but a rare occurrence. If you can get in position to tail I think you certainly deserve the reward, but normally in our games we forget to even check.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Interesting Phillip, but I kinda like the tailing mechanism as it is. Would love to see your idea in action all the same.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

I wonder if it would liven things up a bit more if the imaginary line travelled from the centre of the tailing aircraft through its front but only had to then cross the rear of the tailed aircraft's base. I.e. the imaginary line didn't have to contact the central peg of the tailed plane. It might make it a lot easier to tail someone but whether or not this would add to or detract from the game is another matter.

Similar Missions

1. Tailing
    By Dutchy in forum Polls
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-08-2018, 17:14
  2. Tailing rules
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-13-2014, 06:40
  3. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 08:41
  4. Tailing question