Ares Games

Thread: OTT BE Mission 5 - The Gift That Keeps On Giving - 1st January 1918.

Default OTT BE Mission 5 - The Gift That Keeps On Giving - 1st January 1918.

RFC

2Lt Sumpter Spad E
    2Lt Keeble Spad G
    Lt Jackson Camel A

Eagles
    Ltn J Just . Aviatic
    Ltn M Kahle. Pfalz
    Fwbl Borm P
    Ltn Jacob O Halb CII

The air was crisp.and clear as the Adler planes skipped over the hedges that marked the outer limit of their airstrip. As they climbed and took station around the Halberstadt the pilots felt the cold bite into their exposed flesh. Still it was only a short trip across the lines to the RFC airdrome to deliver the packages and then a dsh home to the warmth of the mess.

Kahle could see the 2 RFC scouts, the Camel to his left and the Spad far to his right. The Camel sped past his port wing as he turned to pursue it .

Just watched as the small parachutes opened and drifted slowly to the field below.

He could see the Spad streaking towards him but judged correctly that it was out of range.

A twitch of the joystick and the Aviatik slipped passed the RFC tail.

The Halb, free of its load tured from bomber to fighter, Borm singling out Keebles Spad for special attention. Keeble countered with an Immell

Twisting the Pfalz Kahle turns into the Camel , catching the briefest of glimpses of another Spad behind him.
    Sumpter closes and fires, his shots going wild Jacobs in the Halb feels his gun jam after a short burst (1+GJ)
    Keeble followed up on the gun jammed Halb, only to have his guns jam.

Jackson s rounds strike Justs plane doing minimal damage.

a deft maneuver by Sumpter brings him onto the 2 seaters tail, just as Jacobs cleared his guns. The exchange saw fabric and spars damaged on both planes.

Keeble cursed his Lewis guns..

Just lined up on the 2 RFC planes ahead of him but a short burst from Jacksons Camel shredded his rudder

Borm and Jacobs were being mobbed by the eager Spads. Weaving his machine Borm tries to free himself from the scouts while giving his observer the chance of a good shot.
    Jacobs waits till the Spad fills his sights. Flames erupt from the stricken plane as Sumpter slumps over his controls

Kahle and Jackson turn into each other. gunxs blazing. The German feels the Pfalz shudder as the rounds hit the fuselage , as Jackson pulls right he sees the RFC pilot clutching his upper chest.

The flames from Sumpter's Spad catch Kahles attention and a long burst sends pilot and plane earthbound .Kill Kahle

Borm fires at Keeble but the cold freezes his gun completely after only a few rounds .

Keeble is more fortunate but runs into the guns of Just. Bullets fly between the 2 scouts and the Spad began to feel the weight of damage the Germans had inflicted.

Despite the throbbing pain in his chest Jackson hauls on the joystick, cranking the Camel into its now famous tight right turn cutting in behind Kahle turn, firing as the Pfalz came into range .

Kahle caught unawares found Keeble bearing down on him. Firing he saw the rounds strike home.

Keeble taps his ammo drum which sounded distinctly empty. Too close to the Germans to mess about changing for another he decided to empty it into the nearest German plane unfortunately to no effect. Brom could not reply

Jackson empties the last few round into Kahles Pfalz shredding more wires and canvas

Borm, his forward guns still frozen misses the chance for a clean shot at Keeble
    but not so for the rear gunner who rakes the Spad as it passes, hitting Keeble , causing enough damage to send the Spad into a spiral

Kill Jacob
    A final shot at Jackson sees Jacobs gun jam beyond immediate repair.

Jackson quickly scanned the sky for friendly aircraft. None were visable. It was clear to him that the fight was over and opening up the throttle he dived for the safety of his lines, knowing the Eagles slower scouts could never catch him.

Butchers Tally:

RFC

2Lt Sumpter: Spad E - SD-FLM-FT / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -2FLM -1WIA = 4 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = Skip 5

2Lt Keeble: Spad G - SD-FT / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -1SD -1WIA = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 6 = Skip 3

Lt Jackson: Camel A - RTB / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 8 +3RTB -1WIA = 10 All well when you land well.

Eagles

Ltn Johannes Just: Aviatic: RTB / 0 kills
    7pts damage

Ltn Max Kahle: Pfalz RTB / 1 kill
    11pts damage

Fwbl Hans Borm: Halb CII: RTB / 0 kills
    &
    Ltn Josef Jacob: RTB / 1 Kill
    8Pts damage

Well the Halb certainly did its job there with dead eye Jacob scoring a kill.

Used ammo rules which quickly saw the RFC run low on ammo. Kahle Pfalz got chewed up 11pts but no nasty cards for the Eagles.where as all the RFC got wounded.

The cold effects on the guns made for a very interesting twist on the mission as the Halb at the end had no guns at all
    Thanks for that Peter another nice mission to fly and not such a long one this time.

If Onkel could do the rolls please it would be most appreciated. Done
    Last edited by flash; 10-18-2016 at 00:17. Reason: Title adjust / Tally

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nice one Paul, your Eagles did a number on the Bulldogs.

Thumbs up

Well that was not a nice result for the "Dogs"!
    Loved & B & W photos as a change from the usual coloured ones.
    Your lads were certainly lucky with the fall of the damage cards Paul.

What a ding, dong that was Paul, some big numbers coming into play throughout; good scrap, well done sir !
    Not a fan of B/W pics throughout myself, I find it detracts from the presentation. Life's in colour and I miss the paint jobs.

Onkel Says:

An emphatic victory for the Eagles.
    Herr Betts is still recovering from the last pounding the Eagles gave him - Sumpter is free for a kicking though and has been subbed in !

Ltn Max Kahle: Second victory Iron Cross 2nd Class
    Ltn Josef Jacob: First victory Air Gunner Badge
    Last edited by flash; 10-17-2016 at 01:34.

"He is wise who watches"

Congratulations to your Eagles Paul, they certainly acquitted themselves well during this engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    What a ding, dong that was Paul, some big numbers coming into play throughout; good scrap, well done sir !
    Not a fan of B/W pics throughout myself, I find it detracts from the presentation. Life's in colour and I miss the paint jobs.

Onkel Says:

An emphatic victory for the Eagles.
    Herr Betts is still recovering from the last pounding the Eagles gave him - Sumpter is free for a kicking though and has been subbed in !

Ltn Max Kahle: Second victory Iron Cross 2nd Class
    Ltn Josef Jacob: First victory Air Gunner Badge
    Thanks Onkel. Glad jackson made it back ok . I gave him a morale test towards the end of the mission and to his credit he stayed in the fray till his ammo ran out

The boys with the gongs are buying tonight.

Black and white only as an experiment and I think I agree with you Dave. Still couldn't knock it till I tried it

Great job, Paul.
    Nice to see the Bulldogs get a shellacking.

Played mine on the weekend - was going quickly for a while but ended up long and drawn out.

Got the AAR written but had no time to post it last night. Will put it up this evening.

The grey and white certainly gave that cold winter feeling to the whole show Paul.
    A superb little mission all round.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I too liked the black and white for a change. Agreed, it added to that feeling of cold. Congrats to the eagles - that went very well for them Very enjoyable read. Thanks

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE Mission #5 The Gift That Keeps on Giving - 1st January 1918
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 06:59
  2. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-09-2016, 09:21
  3. AAR OTTTBE Mission 4 Santas Little Helpers - 24th December 1917.
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 11:57
  4. AAR OTTTBE Mission1 The End at Passchendaele - 10 November, 1917
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-01-2016, 00:40
  5. Christmas Gift!
    By Volant Gun in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 09:06