Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool OTT BE Mission #5 The Gift That Keeps on Giving - 1st January 1918

Mission Brief C.P.

Ltn. Beckman:
    Gentlemen, we start the New Year with the hope that this war will be over before the year is out. The same hope we have had since 1 January 1915.
    Since Christmas we haven't had many good days to fly. O, today we will take advantage of the weather.
    I will take Ltns Henkel, Muller, and Gutknecht with me on a training flight to see how they handle their kites. We will fly to point Alpha and I will observe how Ltn Gutknecht and Henkel work together and try to find Ltn Muller. I will be circling above you observing your actions.
    Ltn Henkel take the Aviatik, Ltn Muller take the Fokker Dr.1 you flew in, Ltn Gutknecht you fly the Albatross DVA. I will take the other Fokker Dr.1
    Good Luck Gentlemen and don't freeze.

Entente AAR
    2Lt Erasmus "Elmo" Winklebleck:
    As we approached the enemy aerodrome everything was quiet. No AA, no planes on the ground, no one running around. I cut hard left to see if we had anything behind us and Rodger, 2Lt Hamlett, did an Immelman. Lt. Getz continued on to the target.
    Attachment 209095

2Lt. Rodger Hamlett:
    When we made our turns I had an Albatross DVA coming at me and "Elmo" had one of the new Fokker Driedeckers approaching him. I played chicken with the Albatross withholding my fire, I thought since we were playing Santa I would try to drive them off without shooting.
    Then an Aviatik passed by me with guns a blazing, so I figured at that point all bets were off. (SPAD SVII--0,0)
    Sgt. LaClaire dropped the packages and they landed on the east side of the compound against the building. Elmo crossed paths with the Dr.1 but neither fired.
    Attachment 209096

Elmo and I crossed paths with him taking a shot at the Aviatik (2,NR) distracting him for a moment.
    Attachment 209097

As Lt. Getz was coming around for a second pass I crossed paths with the Dr.1 exchanging "greetings".
    Dr.1 (1P) SPAD (2GJR)
    **Editors Note: Red Gun Jam permanent jam for this adventure. Fokker Dr.1 with wounded pilot leaving board.
    Attachment 209098

The Dr.1 made a hard right as bullets went past the nose of my plane (0).
    Attachment 209099

I cut left to find the Aviatik closed on me filling my plane with holes and hitting something an oil line and some control lines (4SMK, 2NL).
    Attachment 209100

With my controls damaged I got hit again (0,3+1) right before I immelled to get away.
    Attachment 209101

I figured it was time to beat a hasty retreat as my plane was shot full of holes, the controls were touchy, and Lt. Getz had already made his second drop and was heading out as well.
    Attachment 209102

2Lt Winklebleck:
    As Rodger headed home I tried to get in position to get behind the Aviatik.
    I could see Sgt. LaClaire (1+1) trading shots with the Alb. (1+1).
    Attachment 209103

Albatross(1+1) DH4 (1+1)
    Attachment 209104
    Last edited by flash; 10-11-2016 at 00:20. Reason: Title adjust

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

2Lt. Winklebleck:
    I got behind the Aviatik (0) and took a shot but missed. The Albatross(1+1) and Sgt. LaClaire (1+1) kept exchanging shots doing minimal damage to each other.
    Attachment 209108

I got a good shot at the Aviatik (2GJ Green+1). Sgt. LaClaire(3+1) and the Albatross(1+1) kept their fight going.
    Attachment 209109

The Aviatik dove away from me trying to get involved in the action with the Albatross(1NL+1) and the DH4(2NL+1) which kept pecking away at each other.
    Attachment 209110

Sgt. LaClaire popped the Albatross(5+1) good but was missed in return. The Aviatik being above and behind the Albatross avoided a collision and could not get off a shot.
    Attachment 209111

Finally Sgt. LaClaire got the better of the Albatross(4+1) causing it to fold up and fall to the ground below. Unfortunately the Albatross returned the favor and knocked Lt. Getz out of the air as well.
    **EDITORS Note: Upon Official review it was determined that the +1 bonus was not properly applied during the fight. Adding the plus one to the consecutive shots caused both planes to go down at the same time.
    ++Credit both Sgt. LaClaire and Ltn. Gutknecht with a Kill.
    *See note after Butcher's Bill
    Attachment 209112

With nothing to shoot at the Aviatik(4) crossed in front of me as I flew over the wreckage of the Albatross and the DH4. I headed home.
    Attachment 209113
    Lt. Forbes:
    Do you know what the second drop was?
    2Lt. Hamlett:
    Yes Sir. It was a wreath with Ltn. Ritscherle and Fwbl Korff's names on it and a POW shirt with Ltn. Hoyer and Ltn. Gilly on it.
    Lt. Forbes:
    OK Gentlemen go get some chow and rest. Rumors are floating around the Russians are sueing for Peace. If that happens then troops and supplies will be headed our direction to reinforce the Germans. That means we will become very busy as warmer weather gets here.

Butcher's Bill

Lt. Etienne Getz P2 DH4. SD ET
    C&W 6 -1SD -1ET =4 SKIP 2 E&E 12 -1WIC -1BEL = 10 Do Not See Me SKIP 2

Sgt. LaClaire O2
    C&W 6 -1SD -1ET =4 SKIP 5 E&E 7 -1WIC -1BEL =5 in hiding Skip 1. Skip 5
    *See note at bottom
    Attachment 209114

Left to Right
    2Lt. Rodger Hamlett SPAD SVII RTB 13 Dmg

2Lt. Erasmus "Elmo" Winklebleck Hanriot HD.1 RTB 6 Dmg
    Attachment 209115

C.P.
    Ltn. Wolfgang Gutknecht Albatross DVA SD FT 1 Kill
    C&W 7 -1SD =6 SKIP 1 E&E 8 -1WIC =7 almost home skip 1. SKIP 1
    * See note at bottom.
    Attachment 209116

Ltn. Hans Henkel Aviatik D.1 RTB

Ltn. Paul Beckman Fokker Dr.1 RTB

Ltn. Eberhard Muller Fokker Dr.1 RTB WIA
    C&W 6 +3RTB -1WIA =8 SKIP 2
    Attachment 209117

Victory Points
    Entente
    Scout shot down 1
    Forced to retire or wounded pilot 1/2
    Total 1 1/2
    C.P.
    Two Seater shot down 2
    Forced to retire 1/2
    Total 2 1/2
    C.P. 1 point victory

After a review of page 19-20 in the rules and procedures book, it has shown that the plus one bonus was applied in error. And upon further review of the photos used and the plus ones applied show that the Albatross of Ltn. Gutknecht received 14 points of damage from the fight while the DH4 of Lt. Getz and Sgt. LaClaire received 15 points. Also the next (unused) photo in line has the DH4 taking 4 points with the Albatross taking 0 points of damage.
    Final result:
    Ltn. Gutknecht SCORES a Kill as well as Sgt LaClaire.
    Lt. Getz and Sgt. LaClaire received the C&W and E&E results as applied.
    Last edited by Setarius; 10-15-2016 at 23:38.

A very exciting and fast flowing battle there Dale. Sorry your Bulldogs could not pull off a victory, but well done to the Eagles, they need a few more wins to balance the tally!

Regarding the Aim bonus remember that if an aircraft takes at least 1 point of damage the previous phase (actual damage, not a zero card) that aircraft is subject to 'Disruption' losing the Aim bonus for the next phase (WGF RAP pp.19-20). So in the case of the Albatros D.Va and the DH.4 neither aircraft would get the Aim bonus if they were constantly damaging each other.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

OK, I guess I missed that. In that case the DH4 goes down and the Albatross escapes of the board. This will change the Victory points as well to Entente 1, C.P. 2-1/2
    And
    Ltn. Wolfgang Gutknecht would be RTB

I will double check unused photos to find a final resolution for this

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    OK, I guess I missed that. In that case the DH4 goes down and the Albatross escapes of the board. This will change the Victory points as well to Entente 1, C.P. 2-1/2
    And
    Ltn. Wolfgang Gutknecht would be RTB

I will double check unused photos to find a final resolution for this
    In this instance Dale as the bonus was applied to both equally I don't know if it is worth re-examining the outcome, just file away for future reference.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

OK. Will keep that in mind and let Dave have the final say on what's what.

Well done, Dale - especially since you had "your hands full" at the time I first read this AAR.

Now that you are done I think I agree with Carl - what's done is done - file away for future reference.
    Funny how the photos sometimes disagree with what you thought happened.
    Been there, done that. e.g. Putting Gun Jam on the wrong plane at least once! and noticing missed +1 opportunities several times.
    It gets hairy sometimes tracking so many aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    ...Regarding the Aim bonus remember that if an aircraft takes at least 1 point of damage the previous phase (actual damage, not a zero card) that aircraft is subject to 'Disruption' losing the Aim bonus for the next phase (WGF RAP pp.19-20). So in the case of the Albatros D.Va and the DH.4 neither aircraft would get the Aim bonus if they were constantly damaging each other.
    And remember Carl, that that is an optional rule so does not have to be played by anyone.

"He is wise who watches"

An exciting AAR Dale, did wonder which was going to give first the Albatros of the DH4 and then they took each other out. Great action
    Disruption is an optional rule so no need to apply it if you don't want to. Your original result stands if you'd like to edit your AAR.

Uncle Says:

Well done Dale - you included a -1 modifier for ET in the crash roll which is not there so your two seater chaps are slightly better off than you thought.
    (There is a -1 mod for crashing in NML, there is no mod for crashing in ET - that comes in the E&E calculation as being BEL which you did include)
    And your Eagle pilot was downed in friendly territory so no need for an E&E roll !

Lt. Etienne Getz: P2 DH4. SD-ET / 0 kills
    C&W: 6 -1SD = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = SKIP 1
    E&E: 12 -1WIC -1BEL = 10 Did not even See Me ! Total Skips 1 (W)

Sgt. LaClaire: O. SD-ET / 1 kill
    C&W: 6 -1SD = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = SKIP 3
    E&E 7 -1WIC -1BEL = 5 - In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 1. Total Skip = 3 (RWW)

Ltn. Wolfgang Gutknecht: Albatross DVA - SD-FT / 1 Kill
    C&W 7 -1SD = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = SKIP 1 (W)

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    And remember Carl, that that is an optional rule so does not have to be played by anyone.
    Of course Dave, I was just pointing out when players elect to use the optional Aim bonus it can be subject to the Disruption rule. From experience it is something that is often overlooked.

Of course Dave, I was just pointing out when players elect to use the optional Aim bonus it can be subject to the Disruption rule. From experience it is something that is often overlooked.
    That's not how it came across Carl - you seemed to be saying that if one uses the Aim bonus then they must use Disruption. That is not the case they are both optional rules in their own right.
    I've not come across anyone using the disruption rule yet - whether that is because it refers across phases, is contrary to secret damage, makes it harder to down two-seaters, or, it's just overlooked I don't know. I don't use it as it's more faff for little gain but I can see it might add a little realism as the shooter flinches under fire.

"He is wise who watches"

That's not how it came across Carl - you seemed to be saying that if one uses the Aim bonus then they must use Disruption. That is not the case they are both optional rules in their own right.

I've not come across anyone using the disruption rule yet - whether that is because it refers across phases, is contrary to secret damage, makes it harder to down two-seaters, or, it's just overlooked I don't know. I don't use it as it's more faff for little gain but I can see it might add a little realism as the shooter flinches under fire.
    Just to clarify? Do most people use the Aim advantages and do not use the Disruption rule? This definitely simplifies things I guess. Informal poll I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Just to clarify? Do most people use the Aim advantages and do not use the Disruption rule? This definitely simplifies things I guess. Informal poll I guess?
    My view is the Aim bonus and Disruption go hand in hand - if you use one it makes sense to use the other.

The +1 damage is a pretty powerful game mechanic and it is balanced by Disruption which reflects, as Dave stated, the effects of incoming fire.

You are right Dave I personally do believe the Aim bonus and Disruption are two sides of the same coin. In my local games and campaigns we have always used both rules. In fact it has been clarified by Andrea that Disruption also effects the Ace skill 'Perfect Aim' as it is essentially the same bonus. But I agree they are both optional rules and different playing groups are certainly free to pick and choose what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    That's certainly my experience Ken, in fact Aim is treated as if it is a rule rather than an optional rule.!

"He is wise who watches"

... In fact it has been clarified by Andrea that Disruption also effects the Ace skill 'Perfect Aim' as it is essentially the same bonus...
    It's clearly stated in the ace rules that this is the case if disruption is in use. Probably another reason it's not in common usage

"He is wise who watches"

It's clearly stated in the ace rules that this is the case if disruption is in use. Probably another reason it's not in common usage
    A great example of how Andrea takes into account player feedback and evolves the game.

From an email exchange in June 2009:

Carl - I would also argue that as the benefit provided by 'Perfect Aim' is the +1 Aim bonus that it would also be subject to the effect of 'Disruption', which is "If an airplane takes at least one point of damage in a phase, it loses any tailing and aim advantages for the next phase." Therefore if the Ace pilot's aircraft takes damage they are precluded from using the skill in the following phase.

Andrea - Very good point!

Well It was another enjoyable encounter for all that.
    As long as the player enjoys the game and does not get bogged down in minutia all is well.
    Thanks for a good read Dale.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Wasn't expecting this much feedback on a mistake I perceived I made.
    In this game it was the first time I really thought to use the aim bonus and since I have read the RAP, a couple of times, I simply forgot about Disruption. I am finding as I do these missions that there is something "new" or even old that I relearn by playing and writing the AARs.
    In a couple of weeks I will be writing Mission#6 for everyone else to hopefully enjoy. I have currently ran the mission three times and have found it difficult to beat. I plan on running it a couple more times before I post it.
    Thanks for the discussion on Aim Bonus v. Disruption.

No problem Dale, and no mistakes in how it was played as the rule is optional. You can correct your AAR to reflect the original result.
    Looking forward to mission six.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dale. Very enjoyable. I have to admit I have yet to use the Aim Bonus at all. I simply forget in the heat of the moment. Guess I shall get round to it from now as your AAR has kind of imprinted the idea on my brain now. So whatever you did it's fine by me I like the idea that rules may be optional. So long as it is the same for both sides of course! Cheers!

Great game and a cracking AAR Dale . Well done.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTBE Mission 5, 1 January 1918, Gifts That Keep on Giving (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-30-2016, 23:14
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-23-2016, 23:35
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-23-2016, 16:13
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 15:29
  5. Central England Giving the prop a first spin
    By furryflight in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 14