Ares Games

Thread: Attaching a model to a stand without drilling holes

Default Attaching a model to a stand without drilling holes

I am working on a 1:200 Riich model. If I do not die from rage trying to glue together the tiny pieces I will eventually paint, and then fly the plane. However, the plane does not have a hole and I am not going to drill one so looking for advice on how to attach it to a stand. I do not mind glueing something on I just know that drilling a hole is going to split the plastic or do something equally as ruinous like making the splinter sized pieces fall off... Any suggestions?

Go with a small amount of 5 minute epoxy and a small dowel - round toothpicks are about the right diameter, make it easy on yourself by gluing the dowel on over-length and when the epoxy is set, trim it to the final length . . . that's what my elves would do . . . : )

Brilliant! Follow-up: I have Litko bases, but they sit flat. Does anyone make bases that are the same as the Ares version, or at least compatible with the pegs so I do not need to glue them on?

For my Litko bases I drill out the hole to 5mm dia then cut the taper hole end off of an altitude peg and superglue the part peg into the base. This does result in the peg being a couple of millimetres proud but visually not really noticeable.
    As for drilling a hole i your model I can only suggest using brand new or recently sharpened drills and starting off with a small size and gradually increase the dia with successive drills until you get to the size you require. If done slowly and carefully with a pin drill you should get good results.

Scott, I don't use the ARES bases or pege myself. PM me if you'd want one.

Lightbulb

Another option is buy some small rare earth magnets & supa glue or Araldite one to the aircraft & one to the top of a peg.
    I use this method for all my AIM 1/200 & Shapeways 1/144 models.

Great ideas here. Thank you for the offer Peter, I will let you know if I am not satisfied with the results from the Litko bases.

I had to order white brush on primer so it may be a few weeks but i will post to the showcase once I complete the models, unless I wreck them of course...

If these all fail you I have pegs for sale on my Shapeways shop. They mimic the peg on the bottom of an official plane. Glue it to your model and you should be good to go.

The pegs look awesome but the $5 shipping is rough. Is there combined shipping on the site or are sellers calculated separately?

I have taken to a toothpick and cutting it into bits. They stick fairly well into a regular peg if they aren't too long. Too long and they wobble.

I picked up the Shapeways pegs along with a bigger order but I will keep the toothpick tech in my back pocket.

Similar Missions

1. The Mystery of the Holes?
    By clipper1801 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-03-2016, 06:21
  2. Attaching Shapeway models to pegs. How do you do it?
    By jwclere in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-23-2015, 16:35
  3. General Peg Holes
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 12:01
  4. Attaching Gimble mounts or yout models?
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 07:33
  5. Paper model to resin model
    By pbhawkin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 16:17