Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways Acrylic Question

Default Shapeways Acrylic Question

Hello,

I'm looking for some information about the 'acrylic' material that is available as an option for some planes Shapeways. Click here for an example. This example is available in 'white acrylic', 'black acrylic' and 'transparent acrylic'. I'm wondering how the acrylic compares to WSF and FUD. There is a thread already about 'black high definition acrylate' but I'm not sure whether that is the same material.

My hope is that the white/black/transparent acrylic material gives good detail like FUD, is less expensive than FUD, eliminates the grain of WSF, but is more robust / less fragile like WSF. I read somewhere there was hope that it had all the desirable qualities of both WSF and FUD, at a price point between the two. Can anyone comment on this material? Is this the new preferred material for 1/144 model WWI planes? I've decided that WSF is too grainy for me, even after treatment, and I haven't tried FUD for fear it is too fragile (and a bit expensive).

Thanks for any input.

The Acrylics have a minimum wall thickness of 1mm, compared to 0.7mm for WSF & 0.3mm for FUD.
    The next best material (at least from the numbers) after FUD is High Definition Acrylate with 0.5mm.
    HDA works out a little cheaper than FUD for individual items, but as it has a per piece cost, not a per job cost like FUD, works out more expensive for multiples in the same print.
    That's unless people sprue the items together.

This is all theoretical from the numbers though, as I've not had anything other than FUD & WSF printed so far.

Reading through your original message, I can see the confusion now. You had heard of High Definition Acrylate, but that only just became available for general sale.
    Acrylate and Acrylic could easily be confused.

If there are any of my models you want in HDA, just throw me a message. Some may need a little work, especially for multi-packs.
    I'll see what I can do.

Be careful Foz - Shapeways don't like sprues on BHDA as they can't distinguish them from the support sprues used during the printing process.

So multiple models using the new material are difficult - it also makes biplanes difficult to print

This is a photo of one of the shapeways test prints
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	625x465_15917641_807671_1475339670.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	208514

A pity really, the new material looks good but a lot of models might not print correctly - though I think you're fairly safe with WW2 and jets

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Be careful Foz - Shapeways don't like sprues on BHDA as they can't distinguish them from the support sprues used during the printing process.

So multiple models using the new material are difficult - it also makes biplanes difficult to print

This is a photo of one of the shapeways test prints
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	625x465_15917641_807671_1475339670.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	208514

A pity really, the new material looks good but a lot of models might not print correctly - though I think you're fairly safe with WW2 and jets
    I was hoping they had ironed out the issues with sprues vs support material as they had released BHDA to the general public.
    Only time, and lots of returns will tell.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. Looks like for now at least, maybe FUD is still the go-to material if greater detail & less grain is wanted. I have a follow up question on that but I'll start another thread.

Currently FUD is still my go to material. The strength issues don't worry me too much for WWII planes, as they are generally one solid lump.
    For WWI I still stick to WSF.
    HDA does have a lot of promise, but also it seems, some issues still to iron out.

Similar Missions

1. General A question for the Shapeways designers, Foz et al
    By Guntruck in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 05:10
  2. WSF Shapeways WSF Quality Question
    By cubsfan4life in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-16-2014, 07:20
  3. General Shapeways Rookie Question
    By Scott in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 15