Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE, Mission 5, 1 Jan. 1918: The gifts that keeps on giving. (teaticket)

Default OTTBE, Mission 5, 1 Jan. 1918: The gifts that keeps on giving. (teaticket)

OTTBE, Mission 5, 1 Jan. 1918: The gifts that keeps on giving.

The day after Christmas the weather closed down air operations. The winter weather was foul. The kind of weather even Santa could not fly in. When the weather front finally broke after New Years the skies were clear but very cold. Crystal clear, but the cold was extreme.
    Back on Christmas Eve some enemy planes had dropped packages on the troops in the trenches, and a few even made it to the Aerodrome. It was quickly realized that these packages were meant for enemy, some had mistakenly been dropped on our side of the lines. They were letters and gifts for the holidays. The troopers in the trenches did not hesitate and devoured any edible contents and kept whatever else was usable, thanking the enemy for their holiday wishes.
    The packages that were dropped on the Aerodrome were left unopened. A bit of respect for the opposing airmen, a camaraderie of enemies.
    It was briefly debated and the result was to return the mis-directed packages. A few additional items were added to the drop…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brit4.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	208125

Name:	Brit3.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	208126

or...

Name:	WeTeachYoutoRun.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	208121

Name:	WWI German studio postcard, ca. 1914-1915.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	208122

It was agreed upon by all the pilots to return the items, but by who? Four were chosen at random, two scout pilots and one two seater crew. They would leave at 8am, return the packages and be home by 9:30. Hopefully this would be accomplished after all the enemy dawn patrols had returned to ground but before the mid morning scouts were sent up.

Your side’s mission is to fly over the enemy aerodrome and drop the presents back to their rightful owners and return home, exiting off the friendly board edge.

Forces
    Player’s side get 2 scouts and one two-seater. Player flies one plane of his choice.
    Enemy AI forces are 3 scouts with a possible 4th.

Set up & possible reinforcements

The enemy aerodrome is positioned 1 measure from the center of the enemy friendly base edge.

Players will start the two seater one measure in towards the aerodrome from the board center. (see photo) Your scouts will be randomly placed one measure away from the two seater, positioned 3 – 9 o’clock, facing in the same direction as the two seater.

The enemy will start with one scout entering on each side edge of your friendly half. See photo for position.
    Turn two, a third scout will enter randomly at either of the start positions.
    When/if an enemy scout is downed or heads home out of the fight, a new enemy scout will enter at the center of your friendly base edge. This will happen only once.

Name:	untitled 029.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	208123

Name:	untitled 028.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	208124

Special rules

The Drop
    You get one two seater that will make the drop. The presents will take up a bit of room so the rear gunner will only have one reload of ammunition.
    The 2 seater must fly over the aerodrome and drop its packages before it can take any action against the enemy. (they don’t see them until they turn back after the drop)
    The scouts may turn to engage turn one, or wait until the drop has been made.

Effect of the extreme cold
    As mentioned in the intro, it is extremely cold. So cold, the guns are more apt to jam.
    For fixed guns; an ‘A’ firing gun becomes a ‘B’ firing gun after the jam is cleared. A 2nd jam cannot be cleared.

For rear gun jams;
    An ‘A’ rear gun; if 1st jam is green it will clear as a ‘B’ firing gun, if 1st jam is red the jam is permenant. A 2nd jam is permanent.

For ‘B’ firing gun; if 1st jam is green it is a normal jam, if red it is permanent.
    A 2nd jam is permenant.

If an enemy plane has a permanent jam it will leave the engagement and possibly trigger a reinforcement.
    If a player's plane other than the one you are flying has its guns seize up you can take control and fly it home.

Victory points

1 point per scout downed,
    2 points for downing the two seater,
    ½ point for each plane forced home due to morale rules or wounded pilot.
    (planes leaving because of jammed guns don’t count for victory points)
    Last edited by Teaticket; 10-02-2016 at 06:42. Reason: add prefix

Very nice Peter.
    Landing strips can be found here in the files

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Just finished the game, called it after five hours and 30 minutes. The main action was done inside 4 hours but the reinforcement aircraft pushed things out by a fair margin, you will see why when I post the AAR!

Very good effort Peter, REP worthy

(except my REP guns are jammed - must be the cold weather!!)

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Interesting idea. Will see what AARs pop up. Should be nice and bloody with plenty of revenge.

Peter - just realised your instructions do not match your photo - I think the photo is correct would you like me to adjust ?

The enemy aerodrome is positioned ½ measure from the center of the enemy friendly base edge.

Players will start the two seater one measure in towards the aerodrome from the board center. (see photo)

Dave, good catch. The photo is correct. I originally had 1/2 but after playing it out a few times moved it to one full measure. I'll edit the BRF.

I also forgot to link the airfields, thanks for that. Now that I'm 60 I am sooooo much more forgetful!

Played out this mission on Saturday - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...arl-Brisgamer).

Butcher's Bill here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post422611

Epilogue posted - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post422612

It was a great game Pete. It helped that the See Adlers' luck returned and they all got back safely. I also threw in a bit extra to enhance a plot line for my campaign narrative

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ...Now that I'm 60 I am sooooo much more forgetful!
    Crap, that means only five more years until...what was I talking about again ?!

Been having a torrid time with this one but getting there, thank goodness my AI can shoot !

Nifty mission Peter, only just caught up with it after Doncaster but will give it my full attention next week.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I have 3 more to go until.....what were you saying Dave or was it Peter?
    See you on the Dark Side......

What? I don't know any Neil or Dave. What are you jabbering on about?

Hey, nice one Peter. Turned out to be a very enjoyable mission. Liked the cold weather impact! Thanks.

Re your memory at 60 - congrats on the birthday, whenever that was. It doesn't get any better I'm sad to say. I think one or two of us are approaching 70, in the near future, at a pace that is far too rapid

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTBE Mission 4, 24 December 1917, Santa's Little Helpers (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 14:40
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-19-2016, 09:02
  3. AAR OTTBE-Mission 1-The End at Paschendale---Hearts of Oak--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 22:59
  4. AAR OTTBE Mission 1, 10 November 1917, The end at Passchendaele (Carl_Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 04:26
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 03:40