Ares Games

Thread: The loss of HMS Foylebank

Default The loss of HMS Foylebank

H.M.S. Foylebank was a converted 5,500 ton merchant ship active during the Second World War. She was launched as the MV Andrew Weir in 1930 and requisitioned by the Royal Navy in September 1939. She was converted into an anti-aircraft ship, equipped with 0.5 inch (12.7 mm) machine guns, two quad 2-pounder pom-poms and four twin high angle 4-inch gun turrets. The Foylebank saw action in Portland Harbour next to the Isle of Portland in Dorset, England. She arrived in Portland on 9 June 1940 for a build-up to anti-aircraft duties commanded by Captain H.P. Weir.

On 4 July 1940 whilst the majority of her crew were at breakfast, unidentified aircraft were reported to the south. These were originally thought to be Allied aircraft returning to base but they turned out to be 26 Junkers Ju 87 Stuka dive bombers. These aircraft had the objective of disabling the Foylebank which was seen as a threat to their plans to destroy Britain's coastal shipping. In an eight-minute attack, two aircraft were shot down by the Foylebank but an estimated 22 bombs hit the ship and the ship listed to port, shrouded in smoke. She sank on 5 July 1940. 176 out of a total crew of 298 were killed. Many more were wounded. One of the ship's company, Jack Foreman Mantle, was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions in defending the ship from aircraft whilst mortally injured.

"The 4th July started off like any other day, it was lovely and bright and I was with my chum on the forward mess deck. He was on the same gun (X) as myself. We had finished scrubbing out and the mess looked immaculate with all the hammocks stowed away in their nettings, just as they would be in Nelsons time. Up on deck there had apparently been a great deal of activity as rumours of aeroplanes being sighted heading towards Portland buzzed around the between the crew. Of course, down below, we only knew what people wanted to tell us until, from the tannoy there came that clamouring sound "Action Stations" and I shouted to my chum "Lets get up there then" and we sped out into the racket of gun- fire and loud bangs, and made for our gun station............... "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a4499940.shtml

Thumbs up

Thanks Stuart for posting that.
    Great story of bravery under overwhelming odds.

Similar Missions

1. Loss leaders?
    By wargamer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 13:24
  2. I Chalk Up Yet Another Loss
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 07:20
  3. Loss of another Noted Historian.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7