Ares Games

Thread: OMG I don't believe it

Default OMG I don't believe it

I just watched a documentary on TV, all about the "MRCA" the Panavia Tornado GR1, I watched in total disbelief as one of the air crew used a standard cassette tape, to program the on board "Bombing computer" Is this now a thing of the past? Over to you guys

Name:  437585.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  98.0 KB

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

1980`s technology.
    I remember it well, before the CD and floppy disc came along cassette tapes were used for a lot of things besides recording music.

Yep.
    First PC I played around with was a TRS-80
    Had to make sure you left enough gap when recording a new program so you didn't overwrite the previous one.

My first job had an HP computer that used a digital cassette deck for storing programs and/or data. It was an interesting device to use.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

OH, yeah, I remember when working at NASA/GSFC, we sometimes needed to use the cassettes to boot up the 'puters. I'm talking mainframes, which usually didn't need shutting down, but when they did...out came the cassettes.

I used to have a "Dragon 32" and would write programs for the machine in "Dragon basic" I always made two copy's of everything I would write, One wrong "blip" on the tape and the program was dead, I once found a "Speed poke" (Poke 49595,0) and that would double the speed of the program. alas it also doubled the save speed, Which rendered all my save tapes useless.Name:  Dragon_32_computer.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  39.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    I used to have a "Dragon 32" and would write programs for the machine in "Dragon basic" I always made two copy's of everything I would write, One wrong "blip" on the tape and the program was dead, I once found a "Speed poke" (Poke 49595,0) and that would double the speed of the program. alas it also doubled the save speed, Which rendered all my save tapes useless.Name:  Dragon_32_computer.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  39.1 KB
    You have go to be careful when "poking" around inside a computer.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

There is nothing so frustrating as waiting 15 minutes for a program to load from a cassette only to end up with a syntax or some other error.

Back in the day, I recall issuing cassette tapes to F3 crews to programme one of their datalink computers......

Quote Originally Posted by Dirigible View Post
    Back in the day, I recall issuing cassette tapes to F3 crews to programme one of their datalink computers......
    Nowadays it's far more hitech than that!!!!
    Name:  untitled.png
Views: 117
Size:  95.0 KB

I think I have a 60+ year-old pencil box like that in the basement somewhere ....