Ares Games

Thread: Hasegawa 1/16 Sopwith Camel

Default Hasegawa 1/16 Sopwith Camel

This looks pretty awesome, has anyone built this? I want to know how it went and what you thought about it.

Unboxing Video

I almost bought a similar kit years ago but decided I did not have the time for it. You had to basically assemble the whole thing from individual spars and pieces like the old time Balsa wood models whereas the Hasegawa wings and fuselage look already made, just trim and paint. It would definitely be a faster build than the other kit until you got to the cables and wiring. I don't remember who made the other kit I am referring to, but I know it was about 15+ years ago and it was around $200. They also made a Fokker DR.1 if I am not mistaken. You would have to have a nice showcase space to display it when you are done. That is not the kind of model that will take a weekly dusting and remain intact. I hope you get it, it looks like a great kit.

That will take one BIG stand and maneuver cards. HA HA.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    This looks pretty awesome, has anyone built this? I want to know how it went and what you thought about it.

Unboxing Video
    Brian--I found one pretty cheap for you after a quick look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-From-jap...8AAOSwknJX0LOH

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    Brian--I found one pretty cheap for you after a quick look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-From-jap...8AAOSwknJX0LOH

Thanks Jim, I have to say its awfully tempting - wondering if my modeling skills are up to the task...
    Last edited by brdavis; 09-20-2016 at 08:16.

I have this one in my 'one of these days pile' along with lots of others - so many kits, so little time

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    I almost bought a similar kit years ago but decided I did not have the time for it. You had to basically assemble the whole thing from individual spars and pieces like the old time Balsa wood models whereas the Hasegawa wings and fuselage look already made, just trim and paint. It would definitely be a faster build than the other kit until you got to the cables and wiring. I don't remember who made the other kit I am referring to, but I know it was about 15+ years ago and it was around $200. They also made a Fokker DR.1 if I am not mistaken. You would have to have a nice showcase space to display it when you are done. That is not the kind of model that will take a weekly dusting and remain intact. I hope you get it, it looks like a great kit.
    Hi Jim

Hasegawa made the other ones as well - they were called museum quality or something like that.

Indeed, I have often had to hold back the elves whenever their Wright Brothers' Flyer is available . . .

Similar Missions

1. WWI Sopwith Camel
    By Max Von Below in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 15:06
  2. WSF Sopwith 2F.1 Camel N6812
    By Womble in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 03:29
  3. WSF Sopwith Camel N6377
    By Womble in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 26