Ares Games

Thread: Military Rank

Default Military Rank

I looked through the FAQ and could not find a guide to the military rank system on this site. For example, I am a Lieutenant. This is fine I suppose... but how do I move up? Is it by post count? I need charts and diagrams dammit!

Scott,
    You're right. I can't find it either. It is related to your posts. The more you make, the higher your rank. I got my Major's at 2500, and going for Lt Col at 5000.

Somewhere I made Captain (500?), and 1st Lt after 100?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

500 is a bit away. I guess I need to start welcoming more people in the Report for Duty section!

I also see you have a distinguished career here based on all those green bumps of reputation! That might be a more difficult stat to bump up...

The Green Bars are Reputation Points: REPUTATION - All you need to know!

The points are from other members in appreciation for things posted. After Action Reports, images, and for me, things I do with graphics, like custom aircraft cards or game aids. So, I've been way too busy doing Wings of Glory stuff, and not things around the house.
    Mike

Nice, I need to explain to my wife that there needs to be a shift in priorities around the house to support my quest for fame and fortune at the Aerodrome!

Yeah, that discussion isn't going well in this house. Just so you know.
    Mike

Are the ranks for paying members only?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    I'm thinking the ranks only show for subscribers. You still accumulate a ranking for every post you make, cause there is a count for everyone.
    Mike

Unfortunately I doubt that I will be able to reach the rank of Major in time for the 75th anniversary of the Doolittle raid on April 18th. But at least I have six B-25's (actually four in the traditional green) to run a reenactment. The question will be location: home in Alameda, convince the USS Hornet ship/museum to let me run a demonstration, or the Veterans building in Oakland (where a retired Pearl Harbor vet still works every day).

Of course I could just start posting here with one word in each reply to get my count up, but getting banned is not something I want to risk...

Scott,
    Have a discussion with the museum staff. It may be in how you present it to them?

Comox Air Force Museum - Battle of Britain Display

NHMGS Events (Click on the "Museum of Flight, Seattle, WA" banner for their game day information)

And there are others...
    Mike

I may be up in BC next summer. If I do go I will check out the Air Force Museum. Both Washington flight events also look great. One of the upshots to my recent trip to Belgium and going to the Flanders Field/Ypres area was that it started off with me dragging my wife and daughter there, but ending in both of them totally loving the museum, fascinated by the trenches, etc. so future side trips to places like these will not be such a struggle.

The Hornet people seem open to suggestions so I will need to figure out how I want to pitch it. The Veterans building is currently under the jurisdiction of the City of Oakland, and more specifically within the division I manage so that will be an easy one to arrange.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I may be up in BC next summer. If I do go I will check out the Air Force Museum. Both Washington flight events also look great. One of the upshots to my recent trip to Belgium and going to the Flanders Field/Ypres area was that it started off with me dragging my wife and daughter there, but ending in both of them totally loving the museum, fascinated by the trenches, etc. so future side trips to places like these will not be such a struggle.

The Hornet people seem open to suggestions so I will need to figure out how I want to pitch it. The Veterans building is currently under the jurisdiction of the City of Oakland, and more specifically within the division I manage so that will be an easy one to arrange.
    Scott,
    Good luck with the museum thing.

If you make it to Vancouver Island, understanding that it isn't necessarily a given, just because you are coming to BC, there could be a very inexpensive B&B available. Breakfast could be home-made, bacon-infused, maple waffles. And, perhaps a few games of Wings of Glory. Just saying...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    If you make it to Vancouver Island... there could be a very inexpensive B&B available. Breakfast could be home-made, bacon-infused, maple waffles. And, perhaps a few games of Wings of Glory. Just saying...
    I might have to keep that in mind (if you know what I mean)

Mike,
    I will keep those waffles and WoG i mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I might have to keep that in mind (if you know what I mean)
    Mike,
    I will keep those waffles and WoG i mind!
    Plan ahead, and PM me, if your plans include Vancouver Island. The local gaming store could host an international gathering for a bunch of people, too. And if you're up for it, a tour guide to local sights could be available, if there is interest in more than aircraft (small or large).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dc3_DSC_4214.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	207358
    Mike

Hope to get to The Island again next summer, Mike.
    Would love to hook up.
    Will advise if it comes to pass.

Be active on the site by responding to threads that people start. I see you have been here for 2 years but only have 148 Sorties. The more you respond in the threads you will be more active. Check the medals drop down and you can see how to get them. rank is not the important thing but making friends is. Also not sure that the green bumps as you call them are for rep points since there is a medal for that.

The scale occasionally gets adjusted as needed, too, IIRC, like when too many of us who are long of both wind and tooth are too far up the ladder.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Hope to get to The Island again next summer, Mike.
    Would love to hook up.
    Will advise if it comes to pass.
    Pete,

It is next summer. Any plans?
    Mike

Scott,
    You, too. Any plans?
    Mike

I received the notification of this post in my email and I realized that personal issues (some involving work) have kept me away from this site and the virtual skies for too long. Upcoming weekend goal: WGS and Belgian Ales all weekend.

Still planning on traveling North in the future but the major personal issue I have been dealing with is that my father in law passed away earlier this year. We are my mother in law's closest relatives geographically so we put off any travel plans that would take us away from the bay area for an extended period of time to give "Nona" extra TLC. It looks like local camping will be our adventure this year.

Now I need to poke around here and see what I missed...

Not looking good for this year.
    Seems everyone wants to visit US!

Will try for 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Pete,

It is next summer. Any plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    Yes, Jim, at the moment the ranks are only for paying members but I believe that Oberst Hajj may be considering N.C.O. ranks for non-paying members. However. you can still win medals and gain reputation point bars, as you have been doing, and if you ever started to pay a subscription your sortie count would immediately be used to give you a rank.

Yes, he is, but it is a long time project.

Similar Missions

1. Rank?
    By MoonSylver in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 19:58
  2. What does my rank mean?
    By Bobit in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 07:51
  3. National: Rank Insignias
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum US Wing
    Replies: 1