Ares Games

Thread: Frontbestand and German Aircraft Distributions

Default Frontbestand and German Aircraft Distributions

The Frontbestand, or effective frontline strength, numbers were a set of statistics compiled at the end of every two months of WWI (except for the very end, for which I haven't seen data). The numbers were originally compiled by Hoff, and they passed into the Weyl collection and subsequently into Peter Grosz's hands. They were published in two issues of WWI Aero (#107 and #108, Dec 1985 and Feb 1986), which are available as reprints from ww1aeroinc.org. I would be interested in hearing if they've been published elsewhere as well.

The numbers aren't perfect -- there are some obvious small errors where a type shows up significantly before it became available or numerical inconsistencies, but most of those can be written off as typos or transcription errors. They do represent units at (or near) one of the fronts. Home-area training aircraft are not included, but it does include some aircraft used as "hacks" (aerial taxis), those in aircraft parks, spares, etc. There were also problems with misclassification, e.g. many A.E.G. N.I's were classified as their sibling C.IVs.

Despite these small caveats, the data are hugely interesting and useful. What it does show is the rise and fall of various types through the months and the dominance of certain types (e.g. the DFW C.V).

I wouldn't feel comfortable reproducing Mr. Grosz's charts verbatim here, but I do not mind summarizing the data in ways that give us new insights and tools. One such tool is a chart that shows which types were in use for each two-month pulse in percentages, with a d100 rolling chart to closely match those percentages. I've put together such a chart, based on the raw Frontbestand data, for German A, B, C, CL and lichtbildflugzeug (high-altitude photo planes), with percentage rolls for each type whose total was at least 2% of the overall aircraft count for that month. Leaving off the 1%'ers means the charts cover 89-97% of the aircraft in use without getting bogged down with the ultra-rare aircraft.

Here are the links to the full PDF charts from the Files section:

A typical two-months data looks like this:
    31-Dec-17
    01-42 DFW C.V 38%
    43-64 LVG C.V 20%
    65-74 Rumpler C.IV 9%
    75-83 Halberstadt CL.II 8%
    84-91 Hannover CL.II 7%
    92-94 AEG C.IV 3%
    95-97 Albatros C.XII 3%
    98-100 Rumpler Rubild 3%

The percentage number shows the "true" percent of aircraft of that type in use, the percent-roll numbers are slightly and uniformly increased to give a 1-100 roll. For gaming purposes, if you're trying to put together a scenario, you might roll on the appropriate chart for the scenario date until you come up with a choice that matches miniatures you have available.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 09-21-2016 at 20:02. Reason: links to charts

This is great information Daryl. It will be interesting to follow the surges of usage for the plane varieties through the war. I look forward to seeing more of this...or I can just get the reprints!

While waiting for the files to get approved, I decided to take a different look at the data. This chart shows the percentages (not total numbers) of each fighter (D, Dr, and E class) at the front with two months between each measurement (Frontbestand data). To reduce the noise at the low end, I left off planes that never amounted to 8% or greater of a two-month's total, and I chopped off the Fokker E.I curve for the first two measurements for better scaling.

Observations:
    • It's interesting to see the dominant fighter cycle along, usually with some support from Pfalz's, Halberstadts, or Rolands.
    • The October 1916 data is especially interesting -- you see a lot of various planes in the period between the Eindeckers and the Albatros fighters.
    • The Roland D.II's were more significant than I expected.
    • The grey Albatros D.III curve has a long tail, with many serving well into 1918.
    • Too bad we don't have data for the October 1918 numbers. I'd expect to see the Fokker D.VII continue its dominance, but you'd see some new planes on the scene like the SSW D.III & IV, Junkers D.I, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frontbestand-D-Dr-E-Chart.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	207328
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 09-16-2016 at 23:41. Reason: fixed extraneous label on chart

Very interesting. Thanks for graphing this out.

Thumbs up

What a fantastic chart Daryl!
    Worthy of Rep.

Thanks for that. Doug

Lets's look at A, B, and C-class aircraft now. Again, there's a dominant type that cycles along, led by the Albatros, but there are a lot more planes in the 5-25% range too, leading to more variety (Rumplers, Aviatiks, LVGs). The dominance of the DFW C.V stands out in the latter years. Again, the lines show percentages of planes at the front for each type, not raw counts of planes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frontbestand-A-B-C-chart.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	207390

Absolutely fantastic data, Daryl!

Have some REP, old boy!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This is nice work and would be good to cover the enter War. A chart per month or per three months. Very nice work.

Thanks for the work you have put in on this one Daryl.

What are the % values for each gradient on the Y axis?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Thanks for the work you have put in on this one Daryl.
    What are the % values for each gradient on the Y axis?
    Each y-axis line is 10% of the total planes (of those types) at the front. So you can see that at their peak, the DFW C.V were over half of the C-planes available. Further into 1918, their percentage tails off, both because of an absolute drop in numbers but also because other types start to increase, such as the late-model LVGs and Rumplers.
    (By the way, I didn't include CL-types because I'm working on another chart with the ground-attack-loving CL's and J's.)

The charts based on Frontbestand data are up and available now! I've added links on the original posting.

Similar Missions

1. German Aircraft Crosses
    By somaliavet in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:14
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 00:17
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 08:30
  4. New German aircraft arrive at the Front
    By Chris Maes in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13