Ares Games

Thread: Fort Devens game day, 15 October 2016

Default Fort Devens game day, 15 October 2016

Greetings all. Just a heads up that I will be running a Wings of Glory WWI game on October 15th at Fort Devens, MA. The museum is letting local gamers use a couple of function rooms for running some games. Games will be run 10am-3pm. As I get more info I'll post it here.

October 15th is approaching. You can see all the gaming events 'Here'.

Looks like they put me in for 8 players. If more want in I won't turn anyone away as long as there is table space.

Final reminder for anyone in the local area, we fly at Ft. Devens tomorrow at 10am. We will start off with Fokker E IIIs and Morane Saulnier Ns and work our way on to late war planes. Each time you get shot down you will get the next plane up in progression. An extra ribbon to the best pilot on each side. Bonus points for the longest surviving EIII and MS N!

Just saw this today. Let some friends of mine there know about this so hope some folks may show up. I retired from Ft. Devens in 1990 so hope you post some pictures. Please post some photos of the museum so I can see where you guys are.

Thanks for passing on the word Bob. I'll do what I can to get some photos.

Have a great day Peter - do try and get some pics of the action - hard to do when you're running the show I know but worth the effort.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Hope all went well with your games at Devens. You brought back many memories talking about Devens. In Ayer there was TOMS to get some great grinders.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Sorry it's so far away and I have to teach on Monday, Peter! Maybe next year after I retire...

Devens has a special place in my heart as an ASAer...hope you have a great turnout and time!

All the best,
    Matt

Not a large event overall as I don't think there is much advertising. I had 5 players and it went quite well. Started off with Eindeckers and Morane Saulniers and worked up to Snipes and Fokker DVIIs. A couple of excellent young pilots, one on his own the other with both dad and mom dragged into playing. I can be quite persuasive!

Photos driving in, some in the museum proper and some of the game.

Name:  Ft Devens 2016 001.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  118.2 KB

Name:  Ft Devens 2016 002.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  Ft Devens 2016 003.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  Ft Devens 2016 004.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  174.4 KB

Name:  Ft Devens 2016 005.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0692.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  185.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0695.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0696.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0697.jpg
Size:  189.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0698.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  162.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0699.jpg
Size:  182.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0700.jpg
Size:  169.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0702.jpg
Size:  165.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  213.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0704.jpg
Size:  187.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0707.jpg
Size:  165.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0708.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  158.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0710.jpg
Size:  158.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0711.jpg
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0712.jpg
Size:  188.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0713.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0714.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  168.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0715.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  172.0 KB

Thanks so much for the photos. The game pictures are great. Not sure where the INNOVATION CENTER building is but it was one of the barracks for the Army/Navy/Marines or AF students. I lived on GRANT Road and see all the buildings are gone and some of the streets have been renamed. Ft Devens was named after a Col Devens of the 59th Mass Rgt who was killed at the battle of Balls Bluff in VA after Bull Run. It was a Cav post and then the main training center for ASA (see the patch I posted a picture of) for years. The attic of the building I worked in had a small arms firing range in the attic. You brought back many memories from 1971 when I was in AIT there and the years I spent there until I retired. I am sure Matt has some memories himself.

The Innovation Center houses the Museum, which is on the third floor. It is right on Jackson Rd, about a mile from Route 2. The exit off Route 2 puts you directly on Jackson Road.
    Strangely there is no obvious sign to show that is where the museum is.

looks like fun! lovely displays they have there. in the 3rd display pic were the doughboy tunic by itself and the ike jacket to the left of the china,burma,india tunic ohih 37th div uniforms? hard to tell but it certainly looks like they might be showing the ohio red and white "bullseye".

Great job, Peter.
    How could anyone not be "dragged in" with your magnificent map and playing pieces.
    Your telescoping rods are the icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    looks like fun! lovely displays they have there. in the 3rd display pic were the doughboy tunic by itself and the ike jacket to the left of the china,burma,india tunic ohih 37th div uniforms? hard to tell but it certainly looks like they might be showing the ohio red and white "bullseye".
    Sorry but I'm not sure what unit the uniform is from. After setting up I had a couple of minutes to run through the museum. I took a few photos but didn't have time to read the placards. Next time I'm there I'll make sure to have time in the museum.

I am trying to picture what building that is. If I remember right it was a barracks when you came down Jackson Rd. It was a T intersection and to the right across the street was the movie theater and EM Club. If you made a left there was the dental clinic on the left. Might have to make a trip there in the future.

If you Google Earth it you'll probably have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sorry but I'm not sure what unit the uniform is from. After setting up I had a couple of minutes to run through the museum. I took a few photos but didn't have time to read the placards. Next time I'm there I'll make sure to have time in the museum.
    ok, i thought id ask. sounds like the average conn, hurry,hurry,hurry.

Peter, I did the Google search and saw where that building is. I stayed in that barracks when I was there for a NCO course in 1978 (my room was on the third floor). I remember the blizzard that year. The two smaller buildings on either side were the mess halls. They were called CON 1 & 2 (consolidated mess hall). I did KP there when I was a student in 1971. I am sure Matt will also have some places he remembers. I also saw that the movie theater and club are still there.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for posting the patch. Bob! I have one just like it hanging on my 'me wall' in the man-cave....it's such a snazzier looking patch than the INSCOM one that replaced it.

I only know of Devens by reputation and the guys I knew who had been stationed there for training (unfortunately) - after I finished language school at Monterey I went to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, Texas, for the crypto-side of training...but mess halls and KP and ranges are so common at all training bases.

I would love to visit Ft. Devens some day - perhaps next year we should make an attempt to support Peter with and old-timers-ASA contingent...

Vigilant always!
    Matt

Sounds like a plan for next year. What language? Don't know why but could not pick up languages. My grandmother tried teaching me Czech. My wife is Thai and after 37 years should be able to talk Thai but not that much. Somehow was good at Morse Code (loved my job).

Similar Missions

1. WGF GAME DAY IN ILLINOIS OCTOBER 8th 2016
    By Walter Nowotny in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2016, 21:26
  2. MOAB 2016 Sydney Sat 1st October to Mon 3rd October 2016
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 03:40
  3. Massachusetts Fort Devens Museum Day
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 4