Ares Games

Thread: Nieuport 16 (w/rockets)

Default Nieuport 16 (w/rockets)

Do you think we'll get the Nieuport 16 with rockets?

I think Angelo said if/when we get the balloon releases they won't have planes.

I'm honestly hoping for balloon and Nieuport 16s with rockets.

Did the Central powers use rockets?

I have seen a pic of a Halberstadt rigged with rockets, as I recall. I guess it didn't test well, since they don't seem to have been adopted.

I don't think we will Ken. It was a Nexus model so I wonder if Ares even have their hands on the mould. Be nice if they did though.
    I think the Germans had a go with rockets but couldn't make it work well enough so went to incendiary & AP rounds.
    Have a look at this link for a taster of Balloons & Le Prieur rockets.
    I hope that Ares do a different style of balloon with a different rocket carrier myself.

Last edited by flash; 09-12-2016 at 11:05.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I don't think we will Ken. It was a Nexus model so I wonder if Ares even have their hands on the mould. Be nice if they did though.
    I think the Germans had a go with rockets but couldn't make it work well enough so went to incendiary & AP rounds.
    Have a look at this link for a taster of Balloons & Le Prieur rockets.
    I hope that Ares do a different style of balloon with a different rocket carrier myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I have seen a pic of a Halberstadt rigged with rockets, as I recall. I guess it didn't test well, since they don't seem to have been adopted.
    Rudolf Nebel a fighter pilot with Jagdstaffel 5, pioneered the use of unguided air-launched signal rockets as offensive armament from a Halberstadt D.II in early 1916, even forcing down two British aircraft with the improvised rocket armament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Nebel

I hoping for the Balloons expansion. I know they are not scheduled any time soon. If they came with planes that carried rockets that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Fun with Le Prieur Rockets:

https://youtu.be/D_Gz1mT3Pl8
    Nice video but the music reminded me that I'm late for the Disco Club.

"Aircraft that were armed with the rockets included the Nieuport 11/16/17, SPAD 7/13, Sopwith Baby/Pup/Camel, Farman HF.20/21, and the B.E.2/B.E.12. They were usually armed with eight rockets but the SPAD 7 carried six and the B.E.12 had ten."

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Prieur_rocket

Well I hope in the near future that Ares does a reprint on the Balloons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I hoping for the Balloons expansion. I know they are not scheduled any time soon. If they came with planes that carried rockets that would be awesome.
    So rarely used mine I stripped the rockets off and switched to fighters & incendiaries !

A new edition of balloons should arrive in the near future. With planes or not - that's still unclear.
    In the meantime, in shops you find Ancillotto's Ni.11 with rockets.

This is probably the best news of the month

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    A new edition of balloons should arrive in the near future. With planes or not - that's still unclear.
    Would they be re-prints or new tooling?

I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    This is probably the best news of the month
    You do not like Martian tripods, do you?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...sion-from-Mars

I like Martians but I really like scaled balloon miniatures better.

Users Country Flag

Name
    david
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I like Martians but I really like scaled balloon miniatures better.
    Agree - Martians are so last season - balloons are next seasons must have fashion accessory

Quote Originally Posted by okko View Post
    Agree - Martians are so last season - balloons are next seasons must have fashion accessory
    I won't go that far. Martians are cool.

But Balloons with Planes carrying rockets is something I've wanted. Looking at the pricing of the existing balloons I doubt I could afford must else though.

More information about Rudolf Nebel's rocket experiments is available here http://talesanecdotesandtrivia.blogs...s-rockets.html

Name:  HalberstadtWithRockets.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  178.9 KB

Andrea is hinting, and I'm thinking, if the Tripod expansion is launched, the Nieuport 16 with Rockets will be available with that set. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but, for anyone doing conventions or intro game demos, this is a must-have, IMHO.

I happen to have two Nieuport 16s with Rockets, and now a Nieuport 11 with Rockets. Bring on the Martians, or the balloons!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The Nieuport 11's can have movement restrictions applied, if they fly armed with both a Lewis gun and rockets. Do you think that the restrictions should apply to any aeroplane carrying a machine gun and rockets or just to the Nieuport 11's because they had less powerful engines?

One for Andrea to answer David, though it's probably just for lower powered machines like the N.11.
    The N.16 had 30hp more to play with so maybe that would be enough to overcome that difficulty - perhaps, for more powerful machines, there is scope for reducing the agility to a lesser extent by not allowing left & right side slips on consecutive phases in a turn. Just a thought.

Somehow I missed Andrea's updates to this thread. Thing is, I would want the Nieuport 16s not for the rockets-yes, we now have the 11-but rather for the maneuver deck. And personally, I'm not all that interested in the Martian tripods. So, yeah, hope a future balloon pack would include the fixed-wing, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Ordered an on it's way. I needed to wait until I had enough for freight. I would have the Ni.11 with rockets soon.

That is doubly exciting, since reading over at BGG, the Ni.11 was far more common than the Ni.16.

So doubly excited.

Similar Missions

1. Nice shot of Nieuport N 17 with Rockets.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-14-2016, 10:13
  2. Help for using Me 262's R4M rockets
    By Mad Charly in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 01:51
  3. WGSF V-2 Rockets!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 04:14
  4. Rockets