Ares Games

Thread: OTTTBE Mission 4 Santas Little Helpers - 24th December 1917.

Default OTTTBE Mission 4 Santas Little Helpers - 24th December 1917.

RFC

Ltn B Jackson Camel A
    2ndLt S Sumpter Camel H
    2nd Ltn Grinell milne Spad C
    Ltn J Martin Spad F
    2nd Ltn Watershed P
    Cpl Chapman O Biff O

Eagles

Oblt F Lange Albatros (Udet)
    Ltn J Just Albatros (Baumer)
    Gotha 1 Green Loz 2RCP
    Gotha
    2 Blue lLoz 2RCP

The drone of the Gothas engines cut through the cold Winter air of 24th Dec 1917

Lange had chosen to fly this mission himself, with only his wing man Just . He had given His Jasta pilots 3 days leave, hoping that the unofficial ceasefire that had persisted over the last few years at Yuletide would continue.

The letters and Red cross parcels carried by the 2 Gothas would be the first the troops had received in many a month and would ease the misery of another Christmas away from loved ones.
    It was Just and the Gotha pilot that saw them first. no small approaching dots but deadly silhouettes coming out of the Northern sky , high and fast, their red tails a give away to their Squadron, the 52nd

Just slipped his Albatros left lining himself for a shot at Jackson's Camel. the tail rudder flapped wildly as the rounds struck home (2+RRD,)

Turning passed the Camels Just focused on the 2 Spads attacking the Gotha. Lange pointed his plane upwards and came round hard on Martins tail.

A short burst saw spars splinter and fabric tear (4)
    His wheels almost touching the Gotha's wings Martin Immels but pays the price as Lange targets him for a second time . More spars shattered (5,0)

Milne headed to make contact with the second Gotha Dropping down he fires wildly at his target (0). The German gunner was calmer and collected aiming and hitting the Spads fuselage(4)

The rear gunner follow through till his gun jammed (1,1+GJ)

The rest of Squadron swarmed around the bomber.
    Lange fell victim to Sumpter. Caught turning Sumpters bullets split oil pipes covering Lange's goggles with a greasy slick and smoke filled the air. Squeezing the trigger Lange fired a short burst before his guns jammed (1+RRD,0+GJ)

Just began his long circling turn to get back in the action

The Gotha observer, with no planes in range began assembling the sacks ready for the pilots signal to drop them a moment later the pilot waved and the sacks were tossed over the side.
    The chutes opened and began their decent. Troops began to emerge from the trenches ,eagerly gathering up the cargo as it landed around them 75%

Sumpter is forced to break off his attack on the lead Gotha his rudder is jammed leaving it to concentrate on the next trench of cheering Infantry. Again the cases and sacks floated silently down to the snowy frozen earth. 75%. Its job done the pilot turned for home.

The second Gotha, its rear gun jammed was attacked by Jackson.

The front gunner managed to pump a few rounds into the Camel (0,2) before he went down , his right arm shattered (3+Pilot,0)

Martin found himself high above the returning Gotha, too high to do any damage, A short dive brought him over its starboard wing

Milne and the rear gunner exchanged fire Milne's Lewis guns quickly overheated and jammed (2+GJ).
    The Germans rounds only added to the mounting damage the Camel was suffering. (3)

Now both Gothas had a bead on Milne and soon he felt the heat of the flames coming from the cowling (1+Fire)

Just flinched as holes appeared around his cockpit courtesy of Sumpter who had got on his tail unseen (3)

Fear swept through the young pilot. He had to weave to stop the advancing flames but his Camel was already badly damaged and unresponsive
    Slipping past the first Gotha he avoided the rear gunner's LOS

he kept turning towards his lines. Ahead of him Lange , himself on fire, loomed menacingly. He saw the flash of the Spandaus and felt the bullets hit his body before he passed out (5+pilot)

Kill Lange.

The second Gotha dropped its supplies over the side - 50%

Sumpter continued his attack on Lange. Flames started to emerge from the Albatros' engine. (1.2+Fire) Suddenly the Camels engine spluttered and almost cut out (0,3+eng)

Jackson cranked his Camel hard right following the smoke and flames from Lange's plane Just keeps turning hoping to get on Jackson's tail.

Sumpter turned his plane for home , nursing the damaged engine by throttling back he misjudged Justs height and speed The resulting collision ripped away a huge section of the Camels fuselage (10) Just got away only slightly better, loosing a section of lower wing (4+Fire)

Jackson skillfully puts himself in a position to hit Lange broadside, starting second fire behind the cockpit. (2+Fire) his next shots went high over the Albatros (00)

Martin stuck to the final Gotha's tail, preparing to swoop as the bomber passed over the trenches a short burst rips into the bombers tail (1+RRD). That was enough to convince the Gotha to abandon his final drop. unable to get his plane over the final trench and his fighter cover thinning out he pointed his plane back to base.

Lange, with 2 fires to contend with decided it was time to ditch his Albatros. Looking down he could see he was well behind his own lines , and over countryside.
    Releasing his straps securing him inside his cockpit he flipped his plane over and fell out of the cockpit a few seconds before pulling the rip cord. The chute opened and Lange drifted slowly toward terra firma

Kill Jackson.
    Sumpter, nursing his crippled engine takes a burst from the Gothas rear gunner, adding further to his misery (3) It was enough to bring the Camel down.

Kill Gotha
    The last Gotha started its long trip home. Just turned back to cover the bomber aware that the speck on the horizon was coming from the Allied lines.

Sumpter anticipated Just's move . Throttling back he stalled the Camel as the Albatros turned into him. He squeezed the trigger several times to no avail.(0+GJ) A Strut splintered to his right (2)

Watershed could see the Gotha to his left.and the Camel/Albatros dual ahead. His brief was to get the bomber.

Martin dives under the Gotha's tail

The Biff turned into the bomber, tracers from the forward gunner whizzing passed Watershed's head As they pass Chapman shots rip into the Gotha's fuselage and the forward gunner (3,3+Pilot)

Martin follows up the attack, shredding the lower wings with his accurate fire (5)

Just climbed to met the Camel on even terms

The Gotha, now totally defenceless, began to weaver and turn in an attempt to throw off the Spad on its tail.

Just cut across the Spads LOS preventing a clean shot at the Gotha but took the full blast of the twin Lewis guns. (2+LRD,2+GJ)

With the German AA beginning to range the RFC fighters they knew they had one last chance to get their foe.
    Desperately trying to clear his guns Martin kept close to the Gotha's tail. Watershed swung the Biff left , ignoring Just who was preparing for a split S,
    Jackson shadowed the Spad.
    But it was all in vain. The Gotha slipped over the line of AA battery's and back to its base. Jackson's final salvo causing no visible damage. (0)

Result

RFC

Ltn B Jackson Camel A

RTB /1 kill
    2ndLt S Sumpter Camel H
    RTB
    2nd Ltn Grinell Milne Spad C
    SD/ET
    Ltn J Martin Spad F
    SD/ET/W/ On Fire

2nd Ltn Waterson P
    Cpl Chapman O Biff O
    RTB

The Eagles

Oblt F Lange Albatros (Udet)

SD/bailed out /On fire./1 kill

Ltn J Just Albatros (Baumer)

RTB
    Gotha 1 Green Loz 2RCP
    RTB 2 sacks dropped

Gotha2 Blue lLoz 2RCP

RTB /1kill/1 sack dropped.

Well I hope they all enjoyed their presents and letters as it nearly cost the CPs a Gotha and a Jasta leader.
    Scores as follows.

2 x 75% drops 8 MP
    1 x 50% drop 3 MP
    2 x scouts shot down 2 MP
    2 x Santa's RTB 4 MP
    1 no drop -1 MP

Total 16 MP

There will be celebrations this Christmas in the Trenches.
    Last edited by flash; 09-11-2016 at 00:25. Reason: Title adjustment

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nicely played, Paul.
    I have to keep in mind that we have the parachute option now. It appears you used it in a "timely manner".

Looking forward to playing this one, but it will be a few weeks before I get the chance.

Thumbs up

Great effort by your Eagles Paul.
    This mission certainly has tons of action.
    I liked your original pics as well.

Well played Paul - certainly a lot of action in this meeting over the trenches, I was getting dizzy watching them whirl around the sky !

Onkel says:

Obltn Franz Lange: SD-FT / FLM / bailed out /1 kill
    Parachuted from aircraft - Rolled 5 = Landed O.K.
    Gets his Pilots Badge

2Lt Grinell Milne: Spad C. SD/ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 10 -1SD = 9 All well when you land well !
    E&E: Rolled 7 -1BEL = 6 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 1... slippery devil !

2Lt James Martin: Spad F. SD/ET/W/ On Fire
    Rolled 7 -2FLM -1WIA = 4 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1
    E&E: Rolled 6 -1FLM -1WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 2 Captured! The war ended for this pilot...

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Didn't bother to mention the wounded Gotha gunners as they are not listed .
    Thanks for that Dave.

I've added 2Lt Thomas Keeble to your roster of Bulldogs Paul.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Im sure he will fit in nicely in the Mess

Great win for the Kaiser's Eagles, nice work Paul.

This encounter makes it look as if we have a well balanced scenario here Paul.
    Another very enjoyable read.
    I am looking forward to playing it on Thursday if my back has recovered enough.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great AAR Paul. It is, as Rob says, a beautifully balanced scenario, and the story line it produces is really interesting. Thanks

Thanks Rob and Mike for your kind words . Glad you have , or will, enjoy the mission.

I flew yesterday, Paul and enjoyed every moment of the six hours it took.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ooh Rob save some stamina for the weekend

A nice Eagles victory Paul. Good to see some big points scored for the team. We have a bit to go to catch Dave's lead.

Similar Missions

1. online wings of war - testers and helpers wanted
    By missaak in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 287
    Last Post: 11-25-2016, 08:03
  2. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-09-2016, 09:21
  3. AAR OTTBE Mission 4, 24 December 1917, Santa's Little Helpers (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 14:40
  4. AAR OTTTBE Mission1 The End at Passchendaele - 10 November, 1917
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-01-2016, 00:40
  5. Origins 2014 1/2 Price Badges for the Helpers
    By CappyTom in forum Past Origins Game Fairs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 20:53