Ares Games

Thread: Very Sad News

Default Very Sad News

She won a proud place in British naval history, and the hearts and minds of our nation, She served as the flagship of the taskforce that recaptured the Falkland Islands from Argentina in 1982.
    But now the once-mighty aircraft carrier HMS Hermes is destined for a new life... as a luxury floating hotel. Remember the words of Brian Hanrahan "I counted out the Harrier Jump Jets and then counted them all back" Emotive words which bring back strong memories of Falklands war, She will now become a 600-room, five-star hotel moored in India’s Bay of Bengal. Name:  3713102645_fcd520a213_z.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  86.7 KB

If we were America, we would display Hermes, and make it a wonderful attraction for the public, take some time and visit this site http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/3042098/posts Why do we never learn from History? over the years we as a nation have destroyed Planes tanks and ships, just to make cans and razor blades, what wouldn't we give for a original Handley Page O/400 or a German Zeppelin Staaken R.VI ?Name:  Feb14-5.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  133.6 KB Name:  610x250_zeppelin_staaken_r6-610x250.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  41.9 KB

Sadly Drew this seems to be the norm now. In the USA even the famous Enterprise from WW2 was scrapped notwithstanding efforts from high ranking Naval personnel.

As I recall the Royal Australian Navy nearly bought her back in the 1980's straight after the Falklands War.

I hope the owners devote as least part of the ship to a museum commemorating her long and illustrious military service.

It is always sad to see a great ship go away, but at least she is not being scrapped. I have a nephew who scrapped out big Great Lakes Ships for a while and he told many stories of how eerie and strange it felt dismantling one of them. He said it felt like the boats had a soul. I hope Carl is correct and they do turn part of the ship into a Museum, that would be the right thing to do.

Very sad, at least it's not going the way of most other warships & being scrapped.

"He is wise who watches"

Floating hotel is far better than scrapping. But yeah, there should be at least some part devoted to historical/museum space.

Not sure what bothers me more...scrapping them or using them for target practice and sinking them to make a reef.

I was on holiday in the Isle of Wight when she,and her consorts, sailed past on their return to Blighty from the Falklands and we watched them sail by on their way to Portsmouth Harbour. A truly majestic sight I will never forget.

The Steelcat - AKA HMAS Brisbane. Part of her, anyway has been retained.
    You know you're getting in when ships you helped upgrade to the Latest and Greatest are now museum pieces.

In one way it is sad but at least she is not being cut up for scrap.

Britain is Building some new subs.

Who's gona pay for a Hermes museum ship?

I think it's a good idea to make it a hotel ship. I'm shure there arme some rooms left for a historical Information about the ship's history.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Shame it couldn't be a museum like HMS Belfast , but I have to say that is one hotel I would seriously be interested in staying in... where is it going to be based? is it in range of forum members? could be in need of a road trip if it is...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Default Long weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Shame it couldn't be a museum like HMS Belfast , but I have to say that is one hotel I would seriously be interested in staying in... where is it going to be based? is it in range of forum members? could be in need of a road trip if it is...
    I think it would have to be a (Very) long weekend trip Chris as it's going to the Bay of Bengal!

"HMS-Hermes, Spearhead of the Falklands fleet to be a hotel in Bay of Bengal."

Germany could pay for it, as part of the war reparations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Britain is Building some new subs.

Who's gona pay for a Hermes museum ship?

I think it's a good idea to make it a hotel ship. I'm shure there arme some rooms left for a historical Information about the ship's history.
    Last edited by andron234; 09-05-2016 at 16:35.

Germany could pay for it, as part of the war reparations?
    I think Greece want first dibs on any reparations judging by the rumblings that come from Athens every so often.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Look at it another way people. There are now three choices for the Hermes. A) scrap heap never to be seen again
    B) museum, where you get a tour of maybe 20 rooms
    C) 600 room floating hotel, where you can roam a very substantial portion of the ship and possibly look at a real historical treasure.
    I think I'll go with option C, even though I will more than likely never see the inside of the Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Look at it another way people. There are now three choices for the Hermes. A) scrap heap never to be seen again
    B) museum, where you get a tour of maybe 20 rooms
    C) 600 room floating hotel, where you can roam a very substantial portion of the ship and possibly look at a real historical treasure.
    I think I'll go with option C, even though I will more than likely never see the inside of the Hermes.
    Or D) Returned to the U.K. and put on display on the Thames as a tribute to the Falklands War veterans

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    Or D) Returned to the U.K. and put on display on the Thames as a tribute to the Falklands War veterans
    Good luck getting Those Who Could Better Serve As Donor Organs to pay for it, though!
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Good luck getting Those Who Could Better Serve As Donor Organs to pay for it, though!
    I think a visit from Captain "Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" Combined with a poetry recital is called for!

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    I think a visit from Captain "Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz" Combined with a poetry recital is called for!
    Sorry, you're gonna have to explain for the benefit of us from Across The Pond... *confused look*
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Sorry, you're gonna have to explain for the benefit of us from Across The Pond... *confused look*
    Reference to character in the novel 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' by Douglas Adams.

Vogon poetry is, of course, the third worst in the universe. The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria. During a recitation by their poet master Grunthos the Flatulent of his poem "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning", four of the audience members died of internal hemorrhaging and the president of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council survived only by gnawing one of his own legs off. Grunthos was reported to have been "disappointed" by the poem's reception, and was about to embark on a reading of his 12-book epic entitled "My Favourite Bathtime Gurgles" when his own large intestine - in a desperate attempt to save life itself - leapt straight up through his neck and throttled his brain. The very worst poetry of all perished along with its creator, Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Sussex, in the destruction of the planet Earth. Vogon poetry is mild by comparison.

I was clearing out some old stuff today and came across this image - One for you Drew
    Name:  Hermes Col.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  157.2 KB

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I was clearing out some old stuff today and came across this image - One for you Drew
    Name:  Hermes Col.jpg
Size:  157.2 KB
    Yes thank you, Nothing changes much, apart from the size of the Fleet.
    Name:  Hermes%20Col.jpg
Size:  128.8 KB

Brilliant !

"He is wise who watches"

Is that not one too many boats though ?

Similar Missions

1. National: Good News and some really BAD News
    By Patches in forum US Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 20:30
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News