2nd Lt James Grinell-Milne Spad
    Delaney P Palliser O F2B
    Glossip P Mcguinness O 1/12 Strutter

Central Powers

Lt H Hartmann Aviatic
    Lt Smitt Albatros
    H Borm P Hinderbraundt O Halber
    A Luer P J Jacob O Roland

Tanks What are Tanks Lange enquired of the General . Your boys will find out soon enough, in fact tomorrow when you support our troops here. he tapped the map with his baton.
    Have them load up with bombs I want to make sure we sink these bath tubs on tracks.
    They both laughed draining their glasses of Schnapps before retiring to the Mess.

12 hours later Eagles and Bulldogs f faced each other in the clear cold blue sky Below in NML , its dark muddy trenches and wire covered with a fine dusting of snow , the tanks and troops moved toward the shell pitted woods

T1

Lange had instructed his pilots to take out the RFC as swiftly as possible and with this in mind the Eagles forged ahead. However the RFC planes were more powerful and quickly closed on their prey. Soon the chatter of machine guns could be heard .

Glossip was the first to feel the rounds as Smits first burst hit his chest . (3+pilot) his guns jamming as he squeezed off a few rounds (1+GJ)

Hartmann followed the tracers as they struck the Biffs wing. a second burst was ot an option (2+GJ) Borm pumped several rounds into the Biff as well (1)

Luer facing the formidable SE5a took careful aim at the engine . First smoke then a fiery red flame burst from the cowling. (2+fire)

As the planes pass the rear gunners open up. Pallisers rounds result in smoke coming from Hartmann's engine but the Halberst observer hit him and sliced through the wing spars. (3,3+Pilot)

Jacobs Spandau hits Richardson's engine a second time, smoke pouring from a severed oil line. (0,1+smoke)
    McGuiness got his first taste of action, clipping Smitts rudder and elevator (1+LRD,3)

The tanks began to rumble forward turning left and right to avoid trenches and shell craters. The German troops do the same.
    T2
    Glancing round Hartmann sees Richardson's SE5 trailing smoke and fire.

His guns jammed he decided to attack the tanks below him. Smoke obscured his vision and the bomb fell short (1)

Luer also spots a tank directly ahead of him lining the Roland up for a pass he stalls just as the bombs are released. (6+ eng 0,0,0)The Tank shuddered under the impact.

With his plane in tatters and Palliser wounded Delaney turned the Biff for home (failed morale check) Richardson turned sharply left,the flames still fanning towards him
    The unconscious Glossip unable to control his plane almost collided with Grinell-Milne's turning Spad

T3
    By the time McGuiness brought his pilot round the Stringer was miles away from the the front. Looking at his bleeding chest Glossip turned for his own lines.

Borm fixed his attention on the Spad but its speedy turn allowed it to get out of what could have been a deadly situation.

A lucky shot however clipped the Spad on its final turn toward Smitt (2)

sideslipping the SE5 seemed to slow the fire and brought Betts closer to Luers plane, Guns chattered a smoke erupted from the Roland.(0,4+Smoke)
    The Parabellum rounds however take their toll on the crippled Sopwith engine, causing it to shatter and explode. Betts , the plane still on fire hurtled to the ground (0, XP)

Delaney's shots damage Luers tail (1+RRD) Jacob and Smitt return fire (1,0)

but the Biff is caught between 2 Germans Firing wildly the wounded observer manages a short burst into the closing Albatross before a misfire jams his Lewis a second time (0+GJ,2) Smitt makes no mistake, his bullets tearing through the wing struts and cables. The Biff dropped to the left and began to spiral. (5.1)kill Smitt

T4
    The troops and tanks continued to move slowly and cautiously towards each other. .The AAmgs with no aerial targets to shoot trained their guns across NML.
    In the air the Eagles were at a 3;1 advantage Now they turned their attention to helping the troops.

Lt Grinell-Milne checked his plane for damage which appeared minimal.

Hartman his bomb load gone searched for the last remaining Bulldog

The cackle of machine gun fire filled the sky. Jacobs gun jammed
    T5
    Borm gave the nod to his observer to prime the first stick of bombs. He felt the plane lift as the bombs were released , falling directly onto the tub below (2,0,0,8+ smoke)

That left 1 tank for the rest too sort out.
    Hartmann had caught up with Grinell-Milne's Spad The exchange of fire saw his tail stripped away (1+LRD). Grinell-Milne felt the thud of rounds as they riddled his upper wing (3)
    T6
    The AAmgs opened up on the German troops It was short lived for the extreme right nest (1+GJ) (1) for the left nest The troops fought back (4)

(1+GJ) The last remaining tanks shots went wide of the mark (00) The troops, using grenades managed to score several direct hits on the turret and soft underbelly. the engine coughed , spluttered and eventually stopped, smoke seeping out of the ruptured metal and mg ports. (XP)

Grinell-Milne saw the sky full of German scouts and 2 seaters. Below the smouldering wrecks of the Tank Regiment. He decided to hit the deck and see if he could disrupt the German advance.

The Eagles circled the lone Spad like their namesakes,

T7
    The troops using suppressing fire over-ran and destroyed both AAMg nests
    Grinell-Milne twisted and turned his Spad through the gathering mass of enemy planes His first run at a group of Stormtroopers sent them scattering but not one fell. (0)

Diving low he had hoped the German planes would not follow. He was wrong
    T8
    Fear gripped the young pilot With no wingman and running low on Ammo, facing 4 planes his heart sank . LMF rang in his ears. He never thought that was something he would experience. But Jonty Grisham, his mentor before he left for Blighty and a Instructors posting words echoed round his head. "Get back in one piece , you can always fly another day"
    He turned for the Allied lines. He almost felt the rounds from Luers gun as they passed over him(0), ramming the rudder hard he saw an Aviatik just ahead. A final burst saw its fuselage stitched from nose to cockpit with neat holes, (4)

and then he was away ,speeding over his own trenches hugging what few trees remained on this barren landscape.

Result.

RFC

2nd Lt Richardson SE5a
    SD/F/NML/XP
    2nd Lt Grinell-Milne Spad
    RTB

Delaney P Palliser O F2B
    SD/obv wounded/NML

Glossip P Mcguinness O 1/12 Strutter
    Pilot wounded disengaged RTB

The RTR

Central Powers

Ltn Hermann Hartman: Aviatic RTB 0 kills

Obltn Sigfried Smitt Albatros: RTB 1 Kill

Fwbl Hans Borm P & Ltn Otto Hildebrandt O: Halberstadt
    RTB / 0 kills 1 tank damaged

Vzfwbl Alfred Luer P Ltn Josef Jacob O: Roland
    RTB 1 kill (Luer), 1 tank destroyed.

The PBI

3rd tank destroyed by Stormtroopers.

2 AAMG destroyed by Troops.

. A bit of a bloodbath there for the Bulldogs. The Strutter flew off the map due to its pilot being wounded and the Biff just got pummelled. The German 2 seaters really did the business including bringing down the SE5.

I used an XD deck with r/l/straight cards chosen at random for the tank movement. this meant that they were not sitting ducks on a set course for the Germans to bomb them.
    Don't think it is necessary to tot up the VPs , only rubs salt into the RFC wounds

Onkel could you do the casualty list please.
    Last edited by flash; 08-26-2016 at 02:56. Reason: Title adjust

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well played Paul, you really handed it out to the Tommi's today, that first pass was quite deadly as far as the mission was concerned.

Onkel says:

I know you meant 2Lt Delaney was flying the Brisfit as Herr Ewart was taken prisoner last time out ...
    I think I have sorted the Tally from what you gave me, it would help greatly if you could use the full format.
    Iron Cross 2nd class for Obltn Smitt, congratulations on his second victory

SE5a 2Lt George Richardson: EXP-NML / 0 kills
    Rolled 8 -3EXP -1NML = 4 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 6 -1EXP -1WIC +1NML = 5 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2. Total Skip2 (WR)

SPAD 2Lt James Grinell-Milne:
    RTB / 0 kills

F2B 2Lt Richard Delaney: SD-NML / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -1SD -1NML = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 5 -1WIC +1NML = 5 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 6 = Skip 2. Total Skip2 (WR)

F2B Sgt Paul Palliser: SD-NML / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 10 -1SD -1NML -1WIA = 7 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 1 = Skip 1
    E&E: Rolled 7 -1WIA -1WIC +1NML = 6 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 6 = Skip 2. Total Skip2 (WR)

Strutter 2Lt Phillip Glossip: RTB / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -1WIA +3RTB = 9 all well when you land well

Strutter Cpl Walter McGinness: RTB / 0 kills
    Last edited by flash; 08-26-2016 at 03:05.

"He is wise who watches"

Wilco

Betts is one lucky B*****ger

And a gong for Smitt

Thumbs up

Well you certainly turned the Tables on the Tommies in that one Paul.
    Very Bloody!
    I think the Doggies were lucky not to lose a few pilots in that stouch.

Well played Paul. A stroke of luck to set alight the SE5a and wound crew on the Brisfit right at the start, the Tommies had a tough time trying to come back from that.

Congratulations to your Kaiser's Eagles.

LOOP

Great AAR Paul
    Some lucky cards for the germans made their day
    Well played

Nice one Paul. Gave the Bulldogs a bit of a woofing there I think Nice AAR. Thanks

Thanks to Onkel who spotted and corrected my mismanagement of personnel re the RFC .
    other than that as you say mike the eagles did give the Bulldogs a bit of a beating , but having been a Bulldog for many a long year I know they will bite bake.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Great AAR Paul
    Some lucky cards for the germans made their day
    Well played
    It was a few lucky cards , but i would like to think the orders from HQ to take out the RFC might have tipped the balance.

Well done Paul.
    I think we will have to bone up on our tactics before the next mission.
    Well I didn't start the punzer fest!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Well done Paul and congratulations to the Eagles for bagging 3 washtubs for their trophy case.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 11:59
  2. AAR OTT the Bitter End-Mission 3 Counter Attack at Cambrai--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 15:57
  3. AAR OTT BE Mission 3 - Mike's Counter Attack at Cambrai
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 06:11
  4. AAR OTTTBE Mission1 The End at Passchendaele - 10 November, 1917