Ares Games

Thread: OTT BE Mission 3 - Flash's Counter Attack at Cambrai - 3rd Dec 1917

Default OTT BE Mission 3 - Flash's Counter Attack at Cambrai - 3rd Dec 1917

Uncle stood at the front of the room beside the map pinned to the easel and cast a weary eye over what could only be described as the remnant of the Bulldogs. New faces mostly amongst the scout pilots., Seymour Brown, Tom Morrow, Claude Back, older hands from the two-seater crowd. Bill Board, air gunners Jack Pott, Tommy Gunn.
    "There's another big push on and we have to throw what little we have into this effort." He started, "We have a couple of SE's fit to fly and both the Bristols, All will be carrying bombs this time out and your job will be to break up the storm troopers before they can get to our lines and to protect the tanks the army has promised to send forward to see our lads into the Hun trenches.
    His gaze settled on Claude Back. "Well Claude, I expect you're wondering why you're here, so I won't beat about the bush, I need you to take one of the Bristol's as we are a pilot short. It can fly like a fighter so treat it like one and you shouldn't go far wrong."
    Claude squirmed slightly as he acknowledge his assignment with a stiff nod, "You'll be with corporal Gunn here, he'll keep the Hun off your back won't you Tommy?"
    "Right oh, sir" chirped the corporal.
    "Stick by me" added Bill Board the other Bristol pilot "I'll get you there and back" with a smile. Claude managed a grimace in return.
    A couple of hours later the Bulldogs enter the fray over the trenches noting as they do so that the Eagles have come out to play ....

On the right wing 2Lt Seymour Brown in SE5a H for Harry; In the mid-field 2Lt Tom Morrow in SE5a G for George. Left wing is 2Lt Bill Board and Cpl Jack Pott in Brisfit J for Johnnie and, sticking close by, inside centre is 2Lt Claude Back with Cpl Tommy Gunn in Brisfit H for Harry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_7833.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	205510

The opposing sides rush each other - Claude exchanges fire with a Yellow Halberstadt two seater (piloted by Fwbl Hermann Goerth with Ltn August Deilman in command). Exchanged rounds causing minor damage to each machine; Claudes gun jams.
    Beside him Bill Board dives his Bristol at an infantry target...

Name:	SAM_7840.JPG 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	205511

Morrow's SE, encumbered by bombs, dives towards a group of Stosstruppen, as he does so the red Halberstadt (piloted by Vzfbl Josef Bauers with Ltn Ludwig Lenz in command) drops his nose and rakes the SE with an accurate burst from above.

Name:	SAM_7841.JPG 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	205514

Brown drops his eggs bang on target with devastating effect on the Storm troops.

Name:	SAM_7846.JPG 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	205515

Morrow is equally as accurate and another group of Stosstruppen go west but he takes a rounds from Lenz' gun as he passes.

Name:	SAM_7848.JPG 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	205516

Deilman takes advantage of being slightly below and in the blindspot of Gunn's Lewis... the Brisfit spews smoke

Name:	SAM_7850.JPG 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	205517

The damage may have shaken Back's aim as he only scores a near miss with half his payload. His machine feels instantly more responsive though now some of the weight has been shifted.

Name:	SAM_7851.JPG 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	205520

Bill Board in J Johnnie also scores a near miss but it's enough to break up the infantry formation as the shrapnel sleets through the ranks. Pott snaps off a burst at an Albaltros marked with a #2 (piloted by Ltn Hans Niethammer) as it passes overhead..

Name:	SAM_7852.JPG 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	205521

The Albatrii overshoot their target and narrowly avoid collision as Niethammer struggles with his controls and is forced to turn right as his leader (Obltn Konrad Strünklenberg) turns left.

Name:	SAM_7854.JPG 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	205522

Goerth is not so lucky as he turns into Bauer, a spar cracks and his yellow machine tumbles from the sky as he wrestles vainly with the controls...

Name:	SAM_7855.JPG 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	205523

Obltn Konrad Strünklenberg lightens his load by releasing his bombs precisely on target and is grimly satisfied when he sees the metal land ship explode.

Name:	SAM_7858.JPG 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	205524

Tank #19 double teams a unit of Stosstruppen with an AAMG but little help is needed as the 6pdr QF does its deadly work.

Name:	SAM_7859.JPG 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	205525

Tank #21 wreaks similar havoc on another infantry unit and decimates it though it does take some damage from the Stosstruppen who die hard and fast between the wire.

Name:	SAM_7861.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	205526

Gunn and Lenz trade lead as their machines sweep past each other...Gunn gets the best of the exchange but only just before his gun jams

Name:	SAM_7863.JPG 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	205527

Pott, not to be left out throws a few rounds into Niethammer's #2 Albatros as they circle back past each other.

Name:	SAM_7867.JPG 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	205528

And Strünklenberg has a long range pop at Brown.

Name:	SAM_7869.JPG 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	205529

Lenz manages a squirt at Morrow's SE and scores a few hits as the part company

Name:	SAM_7870.JPG 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	205530

Meanwhile an AAMG engages the last standing Stosstruppen but the men are fleet of foot and dodge amongst the craters of no mans land

Name:	SAM_7871.JPG 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	205531

Bauer steadies his craft, cuts the speed and releases half his bombs onto tank 21 with very satisfying results; Niethammer releases his load simultaneously but not as accurately. The result is shattering to the metal behemoth beneath them.

Name:	SAM_7874.JPG 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	205532

Morrow hauls his SE round in a sharp climbing turn and peppers Niethammer's tail damaging his controls

Name:	SAM_7875.JPG 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	205533

Back slides close under Board as the latter lines up on the last stubborn infantry unit that refuses to die.

Name:	SAM_7876.JPG 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	205534

Morrow unleashes more hate into Niethammer's Albatros, his Lewis jams and Lenz tries to swat him off his colleagues tail damaging the SE's controls in th process.

Name:	SAM_7878.JPG 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	205535

Board drops his final half load onto the determined Stosstruppen and wipes them from existence.

Name:	SAM_7879.JPG 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	205536

Obltn Konrad Strünklenberg tries to avenge his infantry comrades as Board sweeps across his nose at close range but the snap shot has little effect

Name:	SAM_7881.JPG 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	205537

Seymour Brown has better luck as he hacks Niethammer's Albatros from the sky as it turns on the edge of the battle area.

Name:	SAM_7882.JPG 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	205538
    As it falls Seymour sees a figure tumble clear from the broken machine - suddenly what appears to be a large bed sheet blossoms out above the figure - "Blimey he's got a brolly !" exclaims Seymour.....

Bauer & Board swap lead as they close, Bauer's gun jams and no advantage is gained by either side.

Name:	SAM_7883.JPG 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	205539

Two to one odds - the end is near (Brown is just out of left frame immelling)

Name:	SAM_7886.JPG 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	205540

The surviving tank smashes its way through the last of the German defences and creates a breach into their rear areas....

Name:	SAM_7890.JPG 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	205541
    write you own jokes here !

Obltn Strünklenberg has a go at Brown as he comes out of his immel, maybe he was put off by Claude who noses up and peppers the Eagle Leader.

Name:	SAM_7887.JPG 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	205542

Back gets another go but frustratingly causes no further damage to the enemy leader.

Name:	SAM_7888.JPG 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	205543

Bauer catches Morrow who (foolishly) has returned to cover his wingman...

Name:	SAM_7889.JPG 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	205544
    I really must stop doing this !

Even as Morrow rolls into a splitarse to escape Lenz puts a final nail into the SE's coffin and it rolls out of control towards the ground.

Name:	SAM_7891.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	205545
    And this is why !!

Back gets in another quick burst on the lead Albatros as Strünklenberg immels

Name:	SAM_7892.JPG 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	205546

Bauer rolling away from their victory over Morrow takes the opportunity to pump lead into Brown's engine at close range - it coughs ominously and blue white vapour trails behind the SE...Are the tables turning ?

Name:	SAM_7895.JPG 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	205547

Passing behind Strünklenberg Gunn takes his turn pouring rounds into Strünklenberg's Albatros until his gun jams.

Name:	SAM_7896.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	205548

Lenz takes a parting shot at Brown as they part company but luckily for Brown no further damage is caused.

Name:	SAM_7897.JPG 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	205549

Truly battered but victorious the Bulldogs leave the field before the last light of day.

Name:	SAM_7898.JPG 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	205550

2Lt Seymour Brown in SE5a H for Harry. RTB / 1 Kill (Niethammer) - 1 Stosstruppen destroyed

Name:	SAM_7901.JPG 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	205551

2Lt Claude Back with Cpl Tommy Gunn in Brisfit H for Harry: RTB / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_7899.JPG 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	205552

2Lt Bill Board and Cpl Jack Pott in Brisfit J for Johnnie: RTB / 0 kills - 2 Stosstruppen destroyed

Name:	SAM_7900.JPG 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	205553

2Lt Tom Morrow in SE5a G for George: SD-NML / 0 kills - 1 Stosstruppen destroyed

Name:	SAM_7894.JPG 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	205554
    Rolled 9 -1SD -1NML = 7 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 2 = Skip 1.
    E&E: Rolled 6 -1WIC +1NML = 6 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1. Total Skips 1 (R)

2 of 3 Tanks destroyed, middle by Strünklenberg, right by Bauer & Lenz (with assist by Niethammer & ill fated Stosstruppen)
    - 1 Stosstruppen destroyed

Name:	SAM_7903.JPG 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	205555

Obltn Konrad Strünklenberg in his Albatros D.Va 'LO': RTB / 0 kills
    Tank destroyed.

Name:	SAM_7904.JPG 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	205556

Vzfbl Josef Bauers: RTB / 0 kills
    Ltn Ludwig Lenz: RTB / 1 Kill (Morrow)
    Tank destroyed.

Name:	SAM_7905.JPG 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	205557

Ltn Hans Niethammer in his Albatros D.Va '2': SD-NML / 0 kills - Partial tank destruction

Name:	SAM_7884.JPG 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	205558
    Rolled 11 -1SD -1NML = 9 All well when you land well !
    E&E: Rolled 10 +1 NML = 11 They didn't even see me !

Fwbl Hermann Goerth: Col- EXP-NML / 0 kills.

Name:	SAM_7856.JPG 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	205559
    Rolled 10 -3EXP -1NML = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1.
    E&E: Rolled 8 -1EXP -1WIC +1NML =7 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario...Lucky bu... Total Skips 1 (R)
    Ltn August Deilman: Col- EXP-NML / 0 kills.
    Rolled 7 -3EXP -1NML = 3 Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 2.
    E&E: Rolled 7 -1EXP -1WIC +1NML =In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 1. Total Skips 2 (RW)

Six Stosstruppen destroyed.

Name:	SAM_7880.JPG 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	205560

Bulldogs VP: 24pts Total.
    6 x Infantry Units destroyed = 18pts
    1 Scout shot down = 3pts
    1 Scout damaged = 1pt
    1 Two-seater damaged = 2pts

Eagles VP: 16pts Total
    2 x Tanks destroyed = 8 pts
    1x Scout shot down = 3 pts
    1 x Scout forced to retire = 1 pts
    2 x Two-seater machines retired = 4 pts

Played my usual Alt & D8 charts, randomly diced for plane positions at distances given for scenario. Machines staretd at Alt 4 and the rest of the action takes place at Alt 3. Got the chaps off on turn 10. Used 3 C decks with 1 set of 0's amongst them for bombing so cannot compare results but it got the job done !
    Last edited by flash; 10-07-2016 at 01:45.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Well that was some scrap Dave!
    Your Tanks took a hammering but everyone contributed to wiping out those Stormtropers so Well Done to your Bulldogs.

Happy to see they all survived the mission.

Drinks in the Messes tonight I reckon!

LOOP

Great one Dave!
    This really is a caotic mission. Things happening everywhere
    Reminds me of that submarinemission a while ago.

Nice one Dave! Good to see 2Lt Morrow strut and fret his hour upon the stage! Hope to hear more of him! 2Lt Board too is a good advert for shepherding newcomers I see! As for the tank joke - bottom of the class for that one I think : )
    Thanks for a good read Mike

Back with a vengeance eh Dave. Sure did for the PBI on that one.
    Great read as always, but stop winning

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nice to be on a winning streak for a change Paul, really thought it was a clean sweep until Bauer got going - he and Lenz wreaked havoc for a few moments there and as I was flying Morrow I don't exactly feel like I won !
    Second time in recent missions - must - stop - turning - back - to - help !!

"He is wise who watches"

Great one Dave! A very exciting mission, Nice to see every pilot of yours got back alive.
    Thanks

Nick

Great mission Dave. Bad luck for the Boche they had to lose a perfectly good Halberstadt to a collision with his Staffel mate, two of them could have wrought much havoc.

One seemed to manage quite nicely on his own !

"He is wise who watches"

Great action, Dave.
    Quite chaotic at times, as was mine!
    (Hope to have it posted tomorrow.)

Question about your comment regarding the C deck:
    "Used 3 C decks with 1 set of 0's amongst them for bombing so cannot compare results but it got the job done "

Are we supposed to modify the decks? (I didn't)
    There are definitely a lot of 000000 in there!

I mentioned it in the BRF as I don't find the C deck particularly conducive to bombing as 9 of the 17 cards are zeroes.
    I didn't look at it before the match so when I got to the game I made a quick and dirty decision to use my old home made C decks with 2 sets of zeroes removed ie 33 cards with 9 x 0's amongst them.
    It got the job done but I'd still like to have something formalised that we're all happy to use, maybe involving the D deck as well as that rarely gets out of the box. It could even be graduated so that a big bomber with heavier bombs would be more effective than a scout with its lighter load.
    e.g A straight C deck for scouts, a C deck minus 4 0's for a two seater's; C deck with no 0's for a Caproni/Gotha; a C deck with no 0's + a D deck (has 4 0's ?) for a Giant bomber.
    Just an example off the top of my head but something to think on perhaps...especially as it sounds like we're going "down town" next time out

I shall post this in the Early War Campaign thread to kick start a discussion rather than clutter up the AAR.
    Last edited by flash; 08-27-2016 at 01:04.

"He is wise who watches"

That sure was a tizzy. Sure was a back and forth affair. Thought you were in trouble for a while then you put it back to them. Good show.
    I think the poor Stross Truppen are paying the piper all over this mission!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ... I think the poor Stross Truppen are paying the piper all over this mission!
    Yeah, the bombing was pretty devastating all round, the tanks too in places. It may be a different story with the bomb points idea in play though.

"He is wise who watches"

A cracking mission Dave.
    Everyone seems to be having a real ding dong in this one.
    Says a lot for the mission designer when he can have us all teeetering on the edge like this.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 07:45
  2. AAR OTT the Bitter End-Mission 3 Counter Attack at Cambrai--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 15:57
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 17:06
  4. AAR OTT BE Mission 3 - Mike's Counter Attack at Cambrai
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14